Helping Achaea grow

Comments

• I dislike listening to people whine that nobody likes them when they are purposely playing a villain, but I don't blame the clan I heard it in for existing. Nobody can force me to join a clan against my will.

Am I missing something?
  • I'm in several OOC clans myself. I can see both sides of it. I just wonder what would happen if OOC -was- taken to other medium. Like the forums here, or skype, etc. Would afk people log out/journal more? Would some people just stop playing all together? Would there be more IC interactions? Would there be less OOC drama?
  • People are going to have their little ooc space and I'd rather it was in designated clans than the rest of them. I'm not in any ooc clans, but I don't think they should go.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Medi said:
    I'm in several OOC clans myself. I can see both sides of it. I just wonder what would happen if OOC -was- taken to other medium. Like the forums here, or skype, etc. Would afk people log out/journal more? Would some people just stop playing all together? Would there be more IC interactions? Would there be less OOC drama?
    People would just speak in ooc tells, or skype while AFK-ing as much as they currently do. Better just leave OOC  clans as they are.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Ainly said:
    Medi said:
    I know this has been talked about, but what're thoughts these days on banning OOC clans? (I'd suggest keeping clans that deal with things like mudlet/svo)
    I sometimes wonder if they contribute to people just "mindlessly" standing around while they chat oocly instead of actually roleplaying.

As for player retention, the best solution really is for us as players to actively engage newbies.  Obviously, we can't be forced to do this, but ultimately if we want a wider player base this is what we need to do.  Not because we're required to, but because it is in our best interest to support the population of the game.
    As someone who has had minimal newbie experience, yesterday when someone asked me a question and all I could sayh was you need to talk to suchandsuch, it got me thinking what I need to do personally to help Achaea grow. Generally people don't invest the amount of time/money/energy that a lot of us have without having a deep connection and dare say it , love, for this game. Sure I've had my love/hate moments but the fact it's been around for as long as it has it's a testament to the beauty to that we have here.

A bigger, more vibrant player only helps everyone, and the best marketing is us.

• We've made a pretty good improvement on the voting page in just a few days. I think we can take 1st. 

• Alaskar said:
    We've made a pretty good improvement on the voting page in just a few days. I think we can take 1st. 
    We just need to keep it up

• Then we get DDOS'd.....

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Then we get DDOS'd.....
    just makes me want to vote even more :D

• Yeah. I'm pretty determined to get us to number one now. Not that I believe the two to be connected, but still.  I work 12 hour shifts, so I can vote on home wifi, mobile network, and work wifi. 6 votes a day.

• Anyone able to write a basic script that I can schedule as a task to run every twelve hours behind the scenes? I'm not all about hitting a string of wifi hot spots, but between my phone and PC I can crank out 4 a day.

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Voting resets December 1st. If we make an effort we could get number one right of the bat. And it's a good month to be ranked high, as school holidays start.
  • Trey said:
    Anyone able to write a basic script that I can schedule as a task to run every twelve hours behind the scenes? I'm not all about hitting a string of wifi hot spots, but between my phone and PC I can crank out 4 a day.
    Best case would be mobile apps that can send you notifications.
  • When i just voted on pc it was 1044, then on Andriod it was 1044 again..?

• I think it updates every 15 minutes.

• Yep, updates about every 15 mins.
  • I'm very late to the party but I just read @Sarapis' post on page one about how they lose a lot of people going from the introduction into the real game. Going from very structured goals to the not-so-structured sandbox that we love so much.

I would just like to say that as a new character that went from introduction into Ashtan (ironically the city with the stigma of being the least concerned with Roleplay) and into their city task system and then into the advancement system of the Vanguard House... Well. I have to say it felt absolutely seamless. Like, I completely loved it and although I am unfortunately very busy with real life getting in the way from work, to seriously injuring myself (tore a big muscle in my neck. Doctor says six month recovery period. Ugh!) to other titles being released (Fallout 4, duh) so I'm not active on Dalric right now, I will absolutely be returning when I am able. The reason for that by the way is, in part, due to that transition from introduction to Ashtan, to House.

It is approximately several galaxies in magnitude better now than when it was when I last created a new character.

So... @Sarapis I feel very comfortable saying you guys are definitely doing something right, and so are the players. At least in Ashtan and the Vanguard.
  • Out of curiosity, is the retention of newbies from top mudsites  significantly greater than other sources? 

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited November 2015
    i'm not sure how they'd check that other than going by registry information - and I'm assuming alot of the people that don't stick around also never used the registry process, so the statistic representation would be incomplete at best
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Alaskar said:
    Out of curiosity, is the retention of newbies from top mudsites  significantly greater than other sources? 
    Yes.
  • Continue the discussion here, please, where the first post has full instructions on voting for us.

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4242/voting-for-achaea-a-must-read
  • The cure for cancer huh? Wish I know that 3 years ago!
  • edited November 2015
    Aegoth said:
    The cure for cancer huh? Wish I know that 3 years ago!
    @Aegoth : I thought Necromancy users were immune to cancer due to being cancerous?
  • Silvarien said:
    Aegoth said:
    @Aegoth : I thought Necromancy users were immune to cancer due to being cancerous?
    TIL: I'm cancerous

Edit: and when I diss you wouldn't want to answer this.

• Trey said:
    Silvarien said:
    Aegoth said:
    TIL: I'm cancerous

Edit: and when I diss you wouldn't want to answer this.
    @Trey : I'd say that I wanted to name my Achaea character Slim Shady, but then you'd label me as phony (as per Go to Sleep) via the Real Slim Shady song.

I don't think even Tanris could kick Slim Shady's arse. That dude is out of his mind. And funny about it.
  • I say market Achaea as a typing game for 80's and early 90's kids that slept through that one keyboarding/oregon trail class in school. When I first started playing I typed with my index, middle finger and thumb all while having to look at the keyboard periodically. Now I can correctly touch type about 80 wpm and I'm sure alot of the players here wouldn't even call that breaking a sweat!

</sarcasm>

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    That's slick. I agree that the Achaean website is a little convoluted, with more than a few clicks to get to the places I want to be, and while I understand to need to appeal to whoever your primary base is, the new website always did feel like it was targeted to kids much younger than I think our average player is. (Granted, the fact that most of us are older than "gamer age" could be/is part of the challenge.)

I guess when I think of Achaea compared to other MUDs available, I think "classic", "refined", and "professional". Despite Achaea's small size, I feel there's an element of professionalism and serious development present here that more closely represents competition-heavy graphical games than other MUDs of its kind, and so a sleeker, more streamlined website might speak to that.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.