Help me choose a class!

Hello, hello! So, I'm returning after a few months dormant, and was thinking of changing class. I'll be able to buy enough credits to get tri trans, so lesson wise, no big deal at all.

Anyway! 

I was thinking either:
Shaman
Two-handed/DWB/S&B Runewarden 
Blademaster 
Jester 

I'm going to be doing PvP as well, and possibly join a city (thinking Mhaldor or Ashtan) so how would those four compare in utility, 1v1 combat, group combat, bashing, and overall flavor (heard two handed is effective but boring, for example).

What are good traits/racial spec for each? Probably going to be human, Raja, or Tsol'aafor the RPz.

Comments

• Kind of a broad question if you don't specify what you like. All four of those are very good at 1v1 at the moment (except maybe DWB runewarden, but I don't know, never see those).

Runewarden has the most offensive group combat utility, I'd say, having something to do at every range. Jester has the best supportive group utility with hangedman/puppetry/bombs and good mobility. Shaman is close to jester but not quite, and then blademaster has really strong melee in a group but not much else.

For bashing out of those,  runie is the best afaik, and blademaster the worst.

• The fact you never (well, rarely - I've fought a couple) see DWB knights will artificially inflate their 1v1 capabilities; never underestimate the value of almost nobody having a clue what your class/spec does and how to counter it. I personally found it incredibly boring, since there's not really a lot going on in between your attacks, but I imagine the power is still there.

Unartied, Runewarden bashing is probably the best of the four you've mentioned. Following the recent changes to falcons and baalzadeens, there's no way to actually know for sure.
  • edited November 2015
    Kiet said:
    Kind of a broad question if you don't specify what you like. 
    Well, the main think I like about Sentinel (class Novak is currently) was group combat capabilities (Sentinel is very good in a group) and the utility. That's mainly what I'm looking for in a new class.

Between limb breaking and locking in 1v1, though, I'd probably rather choose locking, since I think it would be super cool to shut someone down with afflictions so bad they can't do anything. I've been true locked before, absolutely hated it/thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Was why I threw in shaman. Limb breaking would be pretty cool though, my rival was DWB runie. Seemed to break my legs with utmost ease. But yea, would rather go locking (not even sure what jester does, hoNestly).

I know curses are entirely PvP(except the one that damages denizens), so how does Spiritlore stack up to Runelore (and jester and bm )in terms of usefulness in 1v1 combat? That's mainly what I'm looking for, since I find I really like 1v1 combat. Runie seems to only spam curare and prefarar (think those two) and break legs for impale so that would be the only reason I wouldn't choose it, seems boring. 

Another biggie, is it fun on the long run? I want to have to continuously comb through my abilities to look for multiple ways to shut down opponents and not rely on pure damage output a lot of the time *COUGH*runie*COUGH*

Edit: grammar
  • I mean, sent can already go for limb breaks and locking, so what is it about the class you find lacking?

Runewarden has more options than just curare/pref on loop, but it's definitely the least versatile of the knight classes, yeah.

Spiritlore has tons of combat strength, it's a big part of why shaman is so good.

Out of the four classes, jester/shaman are more affliction based (though both can do things with limbs), with blademaster/runewarden more limb based, though both have affliction potential too in some ways. Blademaster probably more so, runewarden can't really lock, but it's not like blademaster locks are very common as far as I know.

Runewarden is almost entirely damage-based, though, so I guess you can discard that one.
  • You're going to need at least a lvl2 band if you want to do anything with afflictions as BM.
  • edited November 2015
    No you're not going to.

On topic:

Jester hands down has the most group utility, not Runewarden. After that, toss up between Shaman/Runewarden, both have their own stuff, Blademaster's always nice for rushing with.

Kiet is largely correct on the 1v1 front. I wouldn't say Runewarden is the least versatile, they can lock quite well with correct tracking (and lucky pithakhan, but that's for DWC really). Don't underestimate SnB's affliction stacking potential. Whether a lock sticks as a Runewarden is pretty RNG dependent, though, but almost always it stays long enough to kill them...
    Another biggie, is it fun on the long run? I want to have to continuously comb through my abilities to look for multiple ways to shut down opponents and not rely on pure damage output a lot of the time 

Jester is 100% perfect for this, although not sure why you wouldn't stay Sentinel judging from everything you've already said. All four you mentioned are relatively solid bashers now (BM probably the worst of the four) - Either way, judging from what you said you like, Sentinel really would be best suited for you, I think. Then use credits for artis/different skills... So much potential (unless you're set on joining a city, in which case probably Jester or Shaman)

• edited November 2015
    Kiet said:
    I mean, sent can already go for limb breaks and locking, so what is it about the class you find lacking?

Runewarden has more options than just curare/pref on loop, but it's definitely the least versatile of the knight classes, yeah.

Spiritlore has tons of combat strength, it's a big part of why shaman is so good.

Out of the four classes, jester/shaman are more affliction based (though both can do things with limbs), with blademaster/runewarden more limb based, though both have affliction potential too in some ways. Blademaster probably more so, runewarden can't really lock, but it's not like blademaster locks are very common as far as I know.

Runewarden is almost entirely damage-based, though, so I guess you can discard that one.
    @Kiet : Runewarden venomlocking and focuslocking(?) is actually pretty legit but in general, it's not as fast as a lot of other momentum classes if you don't get good rng. Runewarden isn't an entirely damage-based class, though we can be too if we choose to go that route and have sufficient arties. 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Kiet said:
    I mean, sent can already go for limb breaks and locking, so what is it about the class you find lacking?

@Kiet : Runewarden venomlocking and focuslocking(?) is actually pretty legit but in general, it's not as fast as a lot of other momentum classes if you don't get good rng. Runewarden isn't an entirely damage-based class, though we can be too if we choose to go that route and have sufficient arties. 
    Yeah that's why I said almost, but the other two knight classes seem better at anything affliction related.
  • Runewarden has probably the best affliction potential of the three, just not really anything (exciting) to do with it. At least as Dual Cutting, Pithakhan seems amazing for completely draining their mana, which basically acts as pseudo impatience. But once you've got them locked, you're going to end up doubleslashing them to death.

• edited November 2015
    Mana locks are great but they're pretty easily avoided in my experience. Damnation seems like a much better affliction related ability, and infernals can actually give impatience now, can't they? Of course, I'm relying on third party accounts, here, since I don't play knights myself. Take my knight combat opinions from post 2010 with a grain of salt!
  • edited November 2015
    Antonius said:

Runewarden has probably the best affliction potential of the three, just not really anything (exciting) to do with it. At least as Dual Cutting, Pithakhan seems amazing for completely draining their mana, which basically acts as pseudo impatience. But once you've got them locked, you're going to end up doubleslashing them to death.

SnB Infernal is superior when it comes to afflicting imo because of maggots. SnB Runewarden relies on RNG Eihwaz venom masking plus a slightly higher atk speed when going for the aff route or mana drain if dual cutting.

@Kiet : Yes

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Kiet said:
    Just alignment, really. Sentinel is pretty heavily influenced by Nature (to the point where you could lose some valuable skills), which isn't something I could see myself getting into. If it was more neutral, I'd stay in a heart beat, I love Sentinel.

Cynlael said:
    Another biggie, is it fun on the long run? I want to have to continuously comb through my abilities to look for multiple ways to shut down opponents and not rely on pure damage output a lot of the time 

Jester is 100% perfect for this, although not sure why you wouldn't stay Sentinel judging from everything you've already said. All four you mentioned are relatively solid bashers now (BM probably the worst of the four) - Either way, judging from what you said you like, Sentinel really would be best suited for you, I think. Then use credits for artis/different skills... So much potential (unless you're set on joining a city, in which case probably Jester or Shaman)
    See above. For as long as I've played Sentinel (like, till Novak turned about 21, 22 IG) I've totally loved it... Except for the nature thing. I've tried that on an alt, super friendly people, but not me. And I'm really, really into RP. I would probably stay Sentinel, too, if there was some way I could get into Mhaldor or Ashtan (year long tests and stuff to show sincerity or whatever, would totally be into that) but I don't see it happening. Woodlore companions are super useful, but not class-breaking. 

But, it's whatever. I'll check out shaman and jester, thanks for all the help :chuffed: 
  • There's a lot of room for not-friendly forestals, and most of the fighters in Eleusis aren't 'nice'
  • edited November 2015
    Kiet said:
    There's a lot of room for not-friendly forestals, and most of the fighters in Eleusis aren't 'nice'
    Nobody wants to live and crap in the woods. that iz fur bares!
  • Also, what about bard? Might as well check out all the classes I've thought of at some point or another. How's it compare with 1v1 capability/utility/bashing to jester and shaman? Rapier seems good for locking since its so fast, not so much for damage/limb breaks with somewhat low damage.
  • Bard is in the top tier for 1v1 imo, but not sure if it needs arty rapiers to compete.  Limb damage isn't really an issue since you can boost it with tunesmithings/the limb damage songs and it's not like prep is in much of a rush beyond not getting reset. Has some utility in raids but most of it is just summon harms/sing dirge and then go afk until the groups decide to melee. Great for bashing from what I heard though.