Ships and seafaring changes

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
From   : Tecton the Terraformer
To     : Everyone
Subject: Ships and Seafaring changes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our second big batch of ship changes are now live! Here's the details of the changes in this batch:

* SEAPRAYER has been moved down in the skill.

* HOMEPORT has been added as a new transcendent ability. This will allow you and your ship to return to the harbour of your last departure at high cost - handy for situations where you need to depart the realms in a hurry while in the middle of a voyage.

* A new chops tile has been introduced on the wilderness, this will eventually replace almost all of the existing chops in the mid-ocean areas (we'll be working on converting the many hundreds of thousands of these tiles over the coming days):
   - These are now able to be sailed through!
   - They'll incur a speed and movement time penalty for hitting them, which varies upon the size of your vessel. Larger ships will feel the effects of these less.
   - These tiles are considered additionally rough, affecting things like repair rate, rowing speed, and weapon accuracy while on one.
   - These tiles are impassable during ship races (for the moment).

* Crew tokens now have a 100% chance to save crew, assuming that you have enough of them. The price of these items has been increased slightly.

* Ship ammunition has had a very major overhaul, no longer will you need to worry about handling the various disks, darts, shot, and the like.
   - Ammunition is stored in the ships cargo space, no longer do you need to have items in your inventory. Think of this like a rift for your weapons.
   - All existing ammunition has been batched up and converted into crates, for use with the new system.
   - SHIP AMMO commands have been added for players who have crew ordering permission:
      - SHIP AMMO STATUS - See a list of the ammunition on the ship.
      - SHIP AMMO ADD <crate#> - Add a crate of ammunition to the ships stores.
      - SHIP AMMO REMOVE <#> <ammunitiontype> - Remove a crate of ammunition from the stores.
   - Ship weapons are now automatically loaded from your stores.
      - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> - Load a weapon
      - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> DIPPED - Load a weapon with dipped ammunition (if you have a vat of dragon's tears).
      - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> ENVENOMED WITH <venom> - Load a weapon with an envenomed wardisc.
   - Purchasing additional ammunition can be done by purchasing crates of 50 pieces of ammunition in applicable harbours.
   - Ship ammunition is not used in the Ship arena.
   - Weapon racks artefacts will now place their ammunition straight into the ship stores.

Penned by My hand on the 21st of Scarlatan, in the year 698 AF.

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    My only question for clarification is:

I have a question on the Seafaring Homeport ability. If your ship has a 
    non-decay resetting figurehead and you use this ability, it says it drains and 
    dismounts the figurehead. Does this mean it has to be blessed again before it'll 
    work, or do you just have to remount it and start sailing around to regain the 
    power for it to use seaspells?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Kayeil said:
    My only question for clarification is:

I have a question on the Seafaring Homeport ability. If your ship has a 
    non-decay resetting figurehead and you use this ability, it says it drains and 
    dismounts the figurehead. Does this mean it has to be blessed again before it'll 
    work, or do you just have to remount it and start sailing around to regain the 
    power for it to use seaspells?
    It won't lose the consecration, no.
  • y u no wordwrap

To : Everyone
    Subject: Ships and Seafaring changes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our second big batch of ship changes are now live! Here's the details of the changes in this batch:

* SEAPRAYER has been moved down in the skill.

* HOMEPORT has been added as a new transcendent ability. This will allow you and your ship to return to the harbour of your last departure at high cost - handy for situations where you need to depart the realms in a hurry while in the middle of a voyage.

* A new chops tile has been introduced on the wilderness, this will eventually replace almost all of the existing chops in the mid-ocean areas (we'll be working on converting the many hundreds of thousands of these tiles over the coming days):
    - These are now able to be sailed through!
    - They'll incur a speed and movement time penalty for hitting them, which varies upon the size of your vessel. Larger ships will feel the effects of these less.
    - These tiles are considered additionally rough, affecting things like repair rate, rowing speed, and weapon accuracy while on one.
    - These tiles are impassable during ship races (for the moment).

* Crew tokens now have a 100% chance to save crew, assuming that you have enough of them. The price of these items has been increased slightly.

* Ship ammunition has had a very major overhaul, no longer will you need to worry about handling the various disks, darts, shot, and the like.
    - Ammunition is stored in the ships cargo space, no longer do you need to have items in your inventory. Think of this like a rift for your weapons.
    - All existing ammunition has been batched up and converted into crates, for use with the new system.
    - SHIP AMMO commands have been added for players who have crew ordering permission:
    - SHIP AMMO STATUS - See a list of the ammunition on the ship.
    - SHIP AMMO ADD <crate#> - Add a crate of ammunition to the ships stores.
    - SHIP AMMO REMOVE <#> <ammunitiontype> - Remove a crate of ammunition from the stores.
    - Ship weapons are now automatically loaded from your stores.
    - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> - Load a weapon
    - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> DIPPED - Load a weapon with dipped ammunition (if you have a vat of dragon's tears).
    - LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> ENVENOMED WITH <venom> - Load a weapon with an envenomed wardisc.
    - Purchasing additional ammunition can be done by purchasing crates of 50 pieces of ammunition in applicable harbours.
    - Ship ammunition is not used in the Ship arena.
    - Weapon racks artefacts will now place their ammunition straight into the ship stores.

Penned by My hand on the 21st of Scarlatan, in the year 698 AF.

• I'm not at home yet so I haven't had time to properly analyze these changes, but three questions immediately jump out at me:

1. Can HOMEPORT be used if a ship is under attack? Cause' ...that seems a teeny, tiny, itsy, bittsy, weency bit over powerful if it can... if people can teleport their ships back to port at any time that is pretty much the end of piracy, pirate hunting and indeed most naval combat. 

2. As things were before the change, you would enhance all of your ammo and then reconfigure your seafaring spread. Is that still how it works, or do we now have to leave those points in Weapons to use enhanced ammo? Because that will significantly alter solo captaining seafaring dynamics in ways I'll have to sit down and think about before I express an opinion on.

3. The chops change might be the coolest thing ever but it does bring up the question... what is the advantage of the windcutter now? Do they still fair better when traversing the new chops tiles?
  • Your vessel must be in prime condition to withstand the
    rigours of this journey, and any damage to this ship while returning
    will cause the spell to fail.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I am also very interested/invested in question number three, but I figured probably more ship changes would take place before I got a precise answer.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I love the idea that Galleys might be a thing that's actually pretty useful now.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Sweet, no more ship ammo spam in the inventory. The ship ammo will still decay right?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Anaria said:
    I'm not at home yet so I haven't had time to properly analyze these changes, but three questions immediately jump out at me:

3. The chops change might be the coolest thing ever but it does bring up the question... what is the advantage of the windcutter now? Do they still fair better when traversing the new chops tiles?
    From the announce, it sounds like they'll do worse in sailing over the new chops tiles, but depending on the density of the chops, you'll may well still be able to do better overall sailing around the chops in a cutter than you would barreling through them in a strider. Hard to say without actually seeing what things look like and trying it out, though.
  • The advantage of cutters is that they cost half as much. 

I definitely would like to know if ammo decays and if there is a max that we can store.

So stoked that the ammo issues are resolved!
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    So, question. Does Homeport blanket-destroy all non-resetting figureheads? Or does it simply has a chance to destroy them if it overuses the figurehead charge, much like all other seaspells? I ask because my figurehead is custom, but it is not resetting yet.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

@Tecton Also, this is more like an idea, but it'd be nice if while on those new chops, ship prompt reflected the actual speed your ship moves at, and not the speed it would have out of them, which seems to be the case at present. 

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Shirszae said:
    Does Homeport blanket-destroy all non-resetting figureheads?
    Yes.
    Welp. Time to bite the bullet, then

• @Greys Ship ammo in crates will decay, ammo in the ship's store won't.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    dude

I can't even <3 big enough

• As a further note regarding LOAD <weapon> WITH <ammo> DIPPED

This will work with a vat of dragon's tears in the room, so multiple loaders or weapon's operators can share a vat, rather than needing a vat apiece in inventory. (Vats are still only capable of dipping fifty pieces of ammunition.)
  • @Lorielan So people can load and dip in a single movement? As before dipping was an action into itself. 

Also, yay for the ammo being rifted!
  • Thanks @Tecton

These are great changes. 
  • @Greys Correct. Ammo cannot be pre-dipped and any enhancements made to ammunition will be removed should they be returned to the ship's stores (via unloading.)
  • Love all the changes. Thank you.

• Love the changes.

Any chance of artie vats one day?

• Ah, not being able to predip really shakes it up.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Lorielan said:
    @Greys Correct. Ammo cannot be pre-dipped and any enhancements made to ammunition will be removed should they be returned to the ship's stores (via unloading.)
    So... only people with the weapons spec high enough will be able to load/dip? Well damn. This is inconvenient.

• No more cheating.
    Valkyn said:
    Also possibly wishful thinking, but any chance of allowing us to upgrade ships? War Galleys just got a lot more viable, but switching ships is a bit of a headache if you're already very invested in a strider. Go to the ship maker, pay them the difference + maybe 10% extra, so 5.5m for strider to galley, and have him 'refurbish' it? Keep all the upgrades, ship arties, equipment and crew just port them onto the new ship.
    So much this.  o:)