Favorite Enemy

Comments

• Sarapis said:
    Trevize said:
    Sarapis said:
    @Tecton Aww, thanks. I try. (P.S. You better have those fucking TPS reports to me by 9 am tomorrow.)

There was once a prominent player and combatant (probably before the time of virtually all of you - this would have been around 2000) who, on me threatening him with shrubbing if he didn't start behaving, proclaimed that he was my nemesis and that therefore both I and Achaea needed him, so I wouldn't dare to shrub him.

Hundreds of years of gentle summer breezes wafting through his leafy branches later, he remains a decorative shrubbery that the Black Boar occasionally wanders over to pee on, his name wiped from history. 

I could be way off base here, but Korr?
    Newp.  
    I'm gonna go with Tyran, though I'm not sure he would have been capable of stringing together a coherent sentence like that. Not that I was any better at the time...

• Cooper said:
    Sarapis said:
    Trevize said:
    Sarapis said:
    @Tecton Aww, thanks. I try. (P.S. You better have those fucking TPS reports to me by 9 am tomorrow.)

There was once a prominent player and combatant (probably before the time of virtually all of you - this would have been around 2000) who, on me threatening him with shrubbing if he didn't start behaving, proclaimed that he was my nemesis and that therefore both I and Achaea needed him, so I wouldn't dare to shrub him.

Hundreds of years of gentle summer breezes wafting through his leafy branches later, he remains a decorative shrubbery that the Black Boar occasionally wanders over to pee on, his name wiped from history. 

Newp.  
    I'm gonna go with Tyran, though I'm not sure he would have been capable of stringing together a coherent sentence like that. Not that I was any better at the time...
    I have to admit, as terrible as most of us were that far back, I'm still regularly surprised Achaea turned into the RP saturated environment it is. I mean, it's not RP-strict, but I would -never- have seen it going the way it did.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • @Trevize That is the main appeal of the game. Its something that can reinforce itself. Also, the player base has matured over the years which also has an effect.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Cooper said:
    Sarapis said:
    Trevize said:
    Sarapis said:

Newp.  
    Sounds like Khaseem.  Otherwise I'm going to guess it was one of the OG Kharons.  Wow that's a flashback, RIP Kharon Empire.
  • Aodfionn said:
     Kiet. 
    Not anymore >:)
  • Mine, perhaps not mutually, has to be @Aegoth

funny guy to fight against, always something witty to say
  • RipRip
    edited November 2015
    Bronislav said:
    @Rip, hands down. It's literally a case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object - but because they're both Serpents and (arguably) about as in-tune with Serpent instincts as just about anyone, Bronislav understands why Rip goes about as he does - and Rip seems intrigued and mystified by Bron's tendency to act contrary to what should come naturally. And both are willing to scrap at NoNT over it.
    @Bronislav - I have a high respect for what you do for your city and your combat abilities.  You make being a serpent fun and enjoyable.  Always professional and calm.  Very refreshing and reminds me of the old days.  Thanks for naming me as your favorite enemy!

As for my favorite enemies... Ashtan, Targossas, Mhaldor, Eleusis, Hashan, Cyrene 

Edit: Oh and myself, the guy that plays Rip...

• So many that its hard to narrow down.  I have a lot of favorite enemies in Ashtan.  Being there for so long let me meet most of the people that engage in the style of play that I enjoy.

Favorite raid leader: @Jhui really is my favorite person to fight against in groups.  On even ground, he tends to walk all over me, but we have had a few moments that were truly spectacular. There is no greater feeling than being outgunned and coming out on top.  On the same token,  @Xinna is a blast.  Most of our stuff has been smaller scale, with her backing up a homie that got a little too mouthy, but the enjoyment is still there. Known her for forever, so I feel like if a line is ever crossed, we are both there to help mitigate damages.  Both of these two make raiding their respective cities a blast, both ic and ooc.

Favorite dueling enemies: Its a toss up between @Atalkez and @Seragorn. Atalkez and I are fairly well matched, truth be told.  I have got him, he has got me,  it's all in good fun.  We have had our ups and our downs, but are still good friends(last I checked..  I dunno, pummel kills friendships). Seragorn is an entirely different cookie.  Dueling him is like dueling a god. I think i am 1 in 73 or so(unless you count mog, then I am 2 in 73).  Always walk away wondering what I can do better.  No one ever has such a profound effect on my drive and desire to improve one on one. One of the few logs I am truly proud of is me killing him(promptly killed me after, but I just cut that junk out) 

Rp enemies: I don't have anyone specific here.  I have had a lot of solid interactions, and had some trolling conversations, but I am a firm believer that a sword is better than debating for three hours.  I always love hearing about someone else's beliefs, but I generally try not to change something you view as fact.

• edited November 2015
    I have different people that I like depending on factions because you know, I can't pick favourites. 

In Hashan, it would have to be @Kasa, @Ginovianna, and @Kaillian, simply because of the amount of help and RP they give me despite ME being the enemy to their organisation (I think Kasa and Kaill are enemied to Targ, too, I could be wrong.)

Ashtan, I don't really have one. @Vacen, maybe, for making Ela freak the fuck out when he left aaaand... maybe @Atalkez because he helped me become a better sentinel when I was Eleusian. He didn't even know it!

I don't interact with anyone from Mhaldor except for the few lols I get from @Xer and @Proficy when they shank Targies for things I didn't do (yet!), and from @Taraza before she jumped ship. (Ilybb)

Then from Eleusis, most definitely my favourite enemy is @Ellodin (he's great. A lot of people here agree it seems!!!) :sunglasses: 

ETA: I forgot to mention @Rom and @Exelethril because they make giggle, especially the former with the Green dragon being decent for an Eleusian traitor argument. (Good terms, sir. GOOD TERMS.)

..that seems to be it. I'd list more people but they wouldn't make since because Elawien doesn't interact with them ICly. I do on Skype. :anguished: 

• Gul'dan
  • I don't think I've been around long enough to get a favorite enemy truly...but if I had to pick someone then right now I'd say @Nicia We had a decent debate in Zanzibaar not too long ago, one that made me happy even though we had different ideals. I like someone that forces me to think instead of throw out the standard "Rawr! I are better!"
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
  • @Atalkez and @Seragorn

I respect both these guys quite a bit for various reasons. The time they take before or after duels to make sure I have something new to try or to ensure I learned something from the fights makes me feel respected in return, something I don't get a lot of. There have been a few occasions where I have gone into a duel bummed about something, lost, yet walked away feeling better about myself and my ability. They can also appreciate when it's just not a good time and don't threaten to jump me randomly. In short, if I could pick two new big brothers, it'd be these guys in a heartbeat.  
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    No favorite enemies. If you've gotten yourself enemied to my Lady's Order, I've no reason to be very tolerant of you, and I certainly wouldn't call you a favorite anything. An enemy in other sense, if I don't like you then I don't want to interact with you, and have likely made this very clear either by telling you or just staying away from interacting with you. Unfortunately very few respect the "if you leave me alone I'll leave you alone" thing.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited November 2015
    Favorite enemy? @Saeva
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Dat forum RP.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Kayeil said:
    No favorite enemies. If you've gotten yourself enemied to my Lady's Order, I've no reason to be very tolerant of you, and I certainly wouldn't call you a favorite anything. An enemy in other sense, if I don't like you then I don't want to interact with you, and have likely made this very clear either by telling you or just staying away from interacting with you. Unfortunately very few respect the "if you leave me alone I'll leave you alone" thing.
    I charge $175/hr for my therapy services, if you need help overcoming this debilitating ailment
    Kiet said:
    Kayeil said:

The point is differentiating between an IC enemy and an OOCly enjoyable character.

Being a rogue that's not enemied anywhere means you can have enemies in game that you don't speak to OOC ever that you avoid IC based purely on IC interaction. I do have some people I don't like that started with an OOC reason. Don't act like I have no idea what this thread is about and try to treat me as if I'm incapable of understanding.

Jurixe said:
    .... but Jurixe is actually not a very fun person to be an enemy with because she prefers to ignore people she dislikes or finds no value in continuing correspondence with. 
    Unless you guys are going to be assholes to Jurixe over us both having a similar take on not wanting to continue correspondence with someone our characters dislike, then move along because I'm tired of your bullshit.

• Let's not get this thread locked too guys.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited November 2015
    Kayeil said:
    Jurixe said:
    .... but Jurixe is actually not a very fun person to be an enemy with because she prefers to ignore people she dislikes or finds no value in continuing correspondence with. 
    Unless you guys are going to be assholes to Jurixe over us both having a similar take on not wanting to continue correspondence with someone our characters dislike, then move along because I'm tired of your bullshit.
    I think the only thing people mean is that while of course your character would absolutely abhor this or that enemy, you still on an OOC scale appreciate what they're contributing to creating conflict and an over-arching story to what shapes you.

Like, Melodie absolutely detests Flair IC in any way. She could scarce think of few people more that she would like to cut into tiny pieces. But OOCly, I adore the hell out of Flair's player, because he's very sweet, concerned about your fun in dealing with whatever conflict he's bringing, and very creative and thoughtful.

I believe this thread is mostly centered on that - people who ICly we detest but OOCly admire for their efforts in contributing to the game in their own manner. If your character is not one to ever interact with enemies IC, that's perfectly fine (lots and lots of people are like that), but it doesn't prevent general OOC admiration of what they do (Jurixe did post a few examples, for instance).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Kayeil said:
    Jurixe said:
    With all due respect, @Kayeil, I don't think anyone was being an asshole to you, or even being hostile...except for maybe @Aegoth who's an asshole to everyone. I think they were trying to specify that we're talking about people our character may dislike to an extreme, but we as players enjoy interacting with in that ICly negative light. Your post came across as stating that if your character disliked them ICly or was enemies with them ICly, you inherently disliked them/refused to talk to them OOCly, which wasn't the point of the thread.

Not trying to cause any problems, just feels like you're missing the point :)

• What? I was being genuinely concerned and offering professional services. That's hardly being an asshole, sir, and i take great umbrage with your statement :(
    Antidas said:
    Kayeil said:
    Jurixe said:
    With all due respect, @Kayeil, I don't think anyone was being an asshole to you, or even being hostile...except for maybe @Aegoth who's an asshole to everyone. I think they were trying to specify that we're talking about people our character may dislike to an extreme, but we as players enjoy interacting with in that ICly negative light. Your post came across as stating that if your character disliked them ICly or was enemies with them ICly, you inherently disliked them/refused to talk to them OOCly, which wasn't the point of the thread.

Not trying to cause any problems, just feels like you're missing the point :)
    Oh yes, because being accused of forum RP is totally innocent. Or how about the fact that it's the same people who were disagreeing with me on and getting personal on the ships thread? But no, they're not doing this to be jerks.

On the whole, the majority of Achaea I do not speak to OOC. I quit almost every OOC clan. So I literally mean it if for some reason my character has no reason to interact with you in game, the majority of these people I don't even know beyond the game. Most of the people on my Order enemy list are dormant, people I don't know, or people who went after shrines for OOC reasons against someone in the Order at one time or another. For example, you're on my Order's enemy list (I assume from your Mhaldorian days). So I seldom interact with you IC. You'd agree we don't know each other OOC at all. Whether I have respect for you OOC, I have no idea, our interactions are too few IC to have a major impact on my character. It isn't that I inherently refuse to speak to anyone OOC that I don't get along with IC. It's that I don't talk to most people OOC in the first place.

There are some people who I have been friends with both OOC and IC who have become someone I don't like either starting with something they did IC or did OOC, and they cross the lines between both afterwards continuously, and I think it's completely legitimate to have zero respect for them on either level, and to want to avoid them and not have them around.

I have had to remind two people this week IC that I have asked them in the past to not contact me because they have been people I've had very negative experiences with IC. It's stupid that I have to explain this just to get people on forums off my back, though I really don't think it's what I said that they care about. They're just carrying on from other threads.

• Trey said:
    @Yiwen, @Gyrth and @Penwize. Really that whole crew when @Jhui and @Narcos were there too. While prone to jumping me in Annwyn, not a one of them was a dick if I got away and started challenging 1v1 duels. I remember a raid being stopped because @Jurixe won a bet and her prize was a vivisected enemy. I challenged serpent Yiwen to a duel during the raid and everyone withdrew to outside the city to watch it. Easily one of my favorite duels, apart from finding @Eld alone on the island during that giant raid on Mhaldor during Bal'met.

Also when Cyrene enemied me for literally walking into the city, giving Beorji a baller pair of rapiers, and walking out. I sent tells to Senators demanding their best fighter to come outside the gates for single combat to answer for the insult. @Ilireth was a boss and came out, and if it weren't for a truefavor and 109 cutting fullplate I would probably have died, but I left a corpse pinned to the ground. Nothing like pulling a Brad Pitt and screaming for a champion to kill to make you feel like a badass.
    @Trey definitely one of my favorite ppl to interact with in general.  

The Mhaldor Crew:  (specifically is a lot to mention, but you know who you are!) always my favorites to have conflict with.

• So far its been interesting seeing people's views! Thanks for sharing.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited November 2015
    It's completely fine if you don't have a 'favourite enemy'; many neutral-leaning characters simply don't have a reason to have an enemy, much less one they would trade ideological barbs with or challenge to duels or many of the usual avenues of finding intelligent opposition.

Thieves and pirates are perhaps the unique exception in that they are enemies to their victims by default, but they're harder to 'like' as an enemy because they already position themselves as being superior (if successful), and it can be hard to take a liking to an interaction that was 'forced' upon you. Most favourite enemies quoted here stem from interactions where they entered as equals, fully knowing what they were going to be up against, and those that choose to go out of their way to make their interactions fun for people that didn't ask for it are few and far between.

Since neutral characters encounter 'enemies' much less frequently than polarised characters, it tends to get a bit more personal for them when they encounter this sort of conflict as it will generally be the only conflict they come up against.

Characters who are based in strongly aligned cities will tend to have 'favourite' enemies because a) they have a better reason to have rivalries and b) just yelling I HATE YOU at everyone gets boring quick, so it can be refreshing to play out some actual interaction. Personally, I find it very interesting when both players have the maturity to roleplay a real rivalry while still being able to have fun and respect each other OOCly - that's what really makes this feel like a story and less like I'm just playing an extension of myself. That third-person view really helps with separation of identity and gives me a new appreciation for each other's storytelling abilities.

tl;dr: some players enjoy rping rivalries and have fun, some don't, no problem really.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Jurixe said:
    It's completely fine if you don't have a 'favourite enemy'; many neutral-leaning characters simply don't have a reason to have an enemy, much less one they would trade ideological barbs with or challenge to duels or many of the usual avenues of finding intelligent opposition.

Thieves and pirates are perhaps the unique exception in that they are enemies to their victims by default, but they're harder to 'like' as an enemy because they already position themselves as being superior (if successful), and it can be hard to take a liking to an interaction that was 'forced' upon you. Most favourite enemies quoted here stem from interactions where they entered as equals, fully knowing what they were going to be up against, and those that choose to go out of their way to make their interactions fun for people that didn't ask for it are few and far between.

Since neutral characters encounter 'enemies' much less frequently than polarised characters, it tends to get a bit more personal for them when they encounter this sort of conflict as it will generally be the only conflict they come up against.

Characters who are based in strongly aligned cities will tend to have 'favourite' enemies because a) they have a better reason to have rivalries and b) just yelling I HATE YOU at everyone gets boring quick, so it can be refreshing to play out some actual interaction. Personally, I find it very interesting when both players have the maturity to roleplay a real rivalry while still being able to have fun and respect each other OOCly - that's what really makes this feel like a story and less like I'm just playing an extension of myself. That third-person view really helps with separation of identity and gives me a new appreciation for each other's storytelling abilities.

tl;dr: some players enjoy rping rivalries and have fun, some don't, no problem really.
    Thanks. :) I'm glad somebody understands. It is hard to have enemies like you mentioned as a rogue, especially when you try to maintain an unenemied status with all cities. This might be different for rogues who like causing trouble, though. Or if they left a previous faction with a certain vendetta, but I left Cyrene on good terms and with no ill will against it (plus that was a long time ago).

One of the people I had to remind I didn't wish to interact with them is because they've harassed a large portion of my text family in the past, and I feel like that's a completely valid reason to not want this person trying to hug me and act like we're friends for whatever crazy reason in their mind makes them think we're friendly on any level.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Sure, but I don't think that's what people mean by 'favourite enemy'; it just references someone that you enjoy butting heads with for whatever reason as a player, even if you roleplay hating each other's guts. It's someone whose interactions you enjoy and make the game fun for you. If interacting with a character does not make the game fun for you as a player, then there's no reason for you to label them a 'favourite enemy', because obviously they're not your favourite.

It doesn't matter what other people think of said character even if they are a world-class roleplayer; if their interactions do nothing for you, then that's that really. No one is obligated to like someone they clash with as a character, this thread is just to discuss those that have made a positive impact in your gameplay experience despite being in an opposing faction or of a profession or attitude that ordinarily would be antagonistic to your own, which is why they are unique. It's easy to get along with someone on 'your side', but less so when they're 'the enemy'.

Jurixe is boring like that in terms of enemies because I am just not invested in establishing rivalries, and that's something I've worked into her character. The ones she does have developed naturally and have a story to them, but I'll never 'go out' and look for potentially 'good' enemies. It's just the way I play the game, and I think it's perfectly valid - perhaps not the most interesting, to be sure, but no less true.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• @Kayeil I half expected you to put @Greys given how often we seem to butt heads.  <3