Ship Changes!

15678911»

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I think this has all gone way out of proportion and people need to calm the fuck down and stop having hysterics over every little change. Jesus, if you can't approach things rationally, then get a little Victorian and then come back when you feel better.

There've been occasions when admin have gone ahead with a change so drastic that shit just doesn't work without tweaking. When they first introduced autoclass, I repeatedly pushed for the newbie tour to at least prioritise joining a Guild/House first because if given the option, nobody would join a House because of all the negative nancies who allowed their bitterness to become terrible influence on new players. When Houses had no class limitations, they clashed over the overlapping classes, especially when some Houses chose to restrict the classes as per what made RP sense and others simply opened their doors for every and any class. 

Call it 'emergent gameplay' or whatever you like, sometimes problems arise from unseen directions, and they don't 'seem' like problems until everyone is doing it or the rock's rolled far down enough that it causes other kinds of problems. 

Was autoclass well received from an organisational point of view? I'm going to say no. It caused us no end of headaches when it first appeared and you should have seen the level of whining and outrage. People actually quite for realz, not just huff and threaten to quit. Could we ever go back to the days of organisationally locked classes? No, we couldn't, but autoclass would never have functioned the way it does now without all the gradual tweaks that admin have made along the way. The same goes for any dynamic or drastic change.

If admin has a fault, it's that sometimes they introduce shit without seeming to take into account the 'time to penis', it's like they just decide to yolo it and then make adjustments as they go along. Maybe it's because they have more faith in humanity and the general playerbase than I do.  The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to let things happen and work through the teething problems as they arise. Whatever it is, whenever things prove to be a problem, admin usually come up with a fix. Usually. Sometimes.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    If you think I'm afraid to call out someone I'm close to on things they're doing or that I disagree with, then you would be very sadly mistaken.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Every post isn't about you @Kayeil

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • *pat* 

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Atalkez said:
    Every post isn't about you @Kayeil
    Obviously he was referring to Gamden. Why don't you mind your own business and find something better to do than speak to me? I think I've made it clear over the course of many months I want nothing to do with you.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited November 2015
    Lock time? This, I think we can all agree, has just turned toxic.

clarity: not pointed at any one person, just overall tone
  • Just pitching in because @Kez makes a good point. I will typically be in Achaea at all time of the day unless I'm sleeping. That includes classes, that includes work to some extent:

I won't raid, won't defend, won't do anything that requires my character to walk into danger and stop in the middle of doing whatever she was doing because a customer walked in the store. However, I've been online, and available to discuss and lead a House for a good period of time, by giving insight and timely guidance to my officers.

Sure, I lost the position because midterms happened to coincide with Deucalion's return and an increased pressure to work faster/more on the field at the same time where RL forced me to slow down. It sucks, but if you ask anyone in my House, they're pretty much all going to tell you my AFK contribution has been more weighty than a lot of people's.

Ships made this possible.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I think the most elegant solution to safe idling w/o ships is "AFK Fire." Like Divine Fire, but toggle on/off for situational AFK invulnerability:
    The Ring of Portals (indoors).
    You have a strong sense that READ SIGN would be a good idea. A sign floats above
    the ground here. A furry little humgii sits here, a hungry expression in his
    wide eyes. A cherrywood chair covered in pink satin embroidered with a red letter
    J and a gold plaque is here. An oak chair covered in pale blue velvet and a deep
    blue monogrammed R with a gold plaque is here. A bronze-plated couch with a
    covering of red velvet is here. Juliet, the Guide is here, wreathed in a palpable
    aura of I-Really-Can't-Be-Bothered-Atm-So-Shoo!.
    You see exits leading north, east, south, and west.
  • Siduri said:
    Just pitching in because @Kez makes a good point. I will typically be in Achaea at all time of the day unless I'm sleeping. That includes classes, that includes work to some extent:

I won't raid, won't defend, won't do anything that requires my character to walk into danger and stop in the middle of doing whatever she was doing because a customer walked in the store. However, I've been online, and available to discuss and lead a House for a good period of time, by giving insight and timely guidance to my officers.

Sure, I lost the position because midterms happened to coincide with Deucalion's return and an increased pressure to work faster/more on the field at the same time where RL forced me to slow down. It sucks, but if you ask anyone in my House, they're pretty much all going to tell you my AFK contribution has been more weighty than a lot of people's.

Wouldn't all of this been just as possible and a lot more enriching in a subdivision or House hall room though? 
  • Trey said:
    Gamden, not that I'm invested at all in either side of this argument, but you -are- acting like a twat.
    You just invested in it, welcome in the ring
    Ill put that in my pocket and nibble it the day I care about this comment

Back on track, I really dont see any problem with Prism subjected to combat related things..Did you sink a ship?Did you kill your arch nemesis?Boom ..i can prism to you for the next 10 min, even on your ship.

Something like that,Lets keep the AFK off the streets

• imo the most elegant solution is to run more riddles so people will be less inclined to afk
    Maybe this time I won't waste my boons on account of no longer being a teenager with no clue
    I haven't seen a boon since Clementius was around

And with more riddles, maybe people will remember that someone ELSE already holds claim to the "Rory" nickname, and promptly gtfo of here with that aurora bs
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Perhaps we should just go back to the "no AFK" rules that were in place when I started playing, over a decade ago.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited November 2015
    Thats probably one of the worst things you could do, seeing as everyone afks to an extent. At least some people do try and manage to have small interactions/answer tells/etc while mostly busy with something else, and that is much better than the alternative of just having the maybe ten online cats that never afk at all. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited November 2015
    disable config timeout 0, cap to timeout at 30. (edit: though this would require the possibility to at least check INV while worm cancelling)
    should be easy enough to track people who just have a loop that continuously does sendGMCP("Core.KeepAlive") without any real other actions.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Tharvis said:
    disable config timeout 0, cap to timeout at 30. (edit: though this would require the possibility to at least check INV while worm cancelling)
    should be easy enough to track people who just have a loop that continuously does sendGMCP("Core.KeepAlive") without any real other actions.
    People could bypass that in all manners of ways. Even just making a timer to trigger every five or so minute. To send some random tell. To walk back and forth, or say something inane. I much rather it the way it is now.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited November 2015
    Shirszae said:
    Tharvis said:
    People could bypass that in all manners of ways. Even just making a timer to trigger every five or so minute. To send some random tell. To walk back and forth, or say something inane. I much rather it the way it is now.
    if it's a static pattern that loops every static interval (i.e. action never changes, interval never changes), it'd be relatively easily tracked and with the right algorithm, relatively easily marked for review.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Hardly worth it anyway.

• Jacen said:
    Siduri said:
    Just pitching in because @Kez makes a good point. I will typically be in Achaea at all time of the day unless I'm sleeping. That includes classes, that includes work to some extent:

Wouldn't all of this been just as possible and a lot more enriching in a subdivision or House hall room though? 
    I don't consider lolprisms and roflradiance to be a contribution to my enjoyment of the game. Given the few times I've tried that, this happened to me, then no.

• edited November 2015
    Sarapis said:
    The inability of some of you to have a civil discussion never fails to amaze.

Psh, admit it - despite everything, you surely derive some small satisfaction from everyone getting so invested/emotional/etc about your creation. :p Even if it could be discussed in a better way!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
This discussion has been closed.