Black Warrens Quest

This is simply a comment on something I experienced yesterday. Several newbies in my group leveled up and out of the newbie area trying to complete this quest. Not sure what to make of it other than it is frustrating for them, and me. I haven't seen them since. 

Exp. comes awful fast as a newb in this zone. Maybe too fast for the level cap.

I'm having a great time though and ALL the folks I have met so far have been the best!

Comments

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Experience is usually pretty fast earning for newbies but slows down as you rise in levels. Hope you continue to enjoy Achaea!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Ruth said:
    Experience is usually pretty fast earning for newbies but slows down as you rise in levels. Hope you continue to enjoy Achaea!
    I do think the Black Warren might warrant looking at. Maybe cutting down on XP gain for it to avoid the issue of leveling out of Minia mid-quest. I see Eleusian newbies powering straight out of Minia at a pretty decent rate (the Effigy probably helps a bit with that, granted) most of the time, sometimes before they've really had much of a change to get acclimated.

But yes, @Marsil, I do hope you continue enjoying Achaea.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I believe you can enter the Black Warren at level 10, but you're supposed to do it as part of a group. If you enter at a higher level on your own, or as part of a small group, you are likely to reach the XP cap before you complete it. Just one of those things.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I think the Black Warren should be an ogre-free zone.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Why not just move the Warren entrances to just outside Minia or something? I think you should still be able to level-cap it at 25 by having overlevelled players intimidate the boss denizen from even appearing >_>

• edited November 2015

Thanks for the welcome all and for the response Tecton.

I was trying to reveal as few details as possible about the quest in my first post, but the zone where the level gain may be excessive is in the warrens itself.  The rest of the newbie areas are perfect imo. I can see where a group of 5 or so newbs would do well in the warrens as it is now, but a group of 2 or 3 seems typical for the amount of newbies normally on.

Btw, I really appreciate this type of newbie quest (forced grouping). It makes meeting people much easier and other players are the best part of playing a mud. So, thanks again all.

• edited November 2015
    Hi, I just wanted to comment on the Black Warren quest:

This quest is the worst quest I came across because of the time spent on it as well doing it. The difficulty of the quest itself isn't bad once it's figured out. I encountered three issues while trying to do this one:

1. The experience given for killing young brown rats was too much. These are the easiest of the types of rats hunted there. Each young brown rat averaged between 12 to 16% per kill. Each time an adventurer kills a rat like this one in the warren, the adventurer levels too quickly to 21. The grey spiders averaged around 10%, and they are not easy to find in the area. The problem was that adventurers outleveled the Black Warren area before they could try finishing their quests and killing the rat boss for the honors to behold.

2. The rat boss does not show up. Time was spent killing rats and spiders to be able to move further into the area to find the rat boss and eliminate him for good. I waited for about an hour in the warren today, hoping he will make his appearance. By not being able to locate the rat boss and waiting for him to show, time is wasted when the area resets on you while you are there.

3. A lack of young adventurers under 21. I did see them about, but none were interested in doing the Black Warren quest. Why make it a group-only quest? Since Battlerage was implemented in Achaea to give adventurers new challenges hunting in different areas, I think the quest can be doable solo if the amount of both straight and bleeding damages are lowered, but not much or there won't be a challenge facing these rats. We should have a choice to either do it as a group for fun or as a solo adventurer for fun.

Overall, I think this quest needs to be looked at a bit closely and be adjusted where necessary to give adventuers a CHANCE to face the evil rat boss. I outleveled the area too quickly while trying to do this quest as others have commented previously. I was disappointed and even mad about losing this chance to attain an achievement for myself as a young adventurer.

The newbie honors quests in Lusternia were difficult, but they could be attained without outleveling the area unlike this one for Achaea.
  • Svetlana said:
    Hi, I just wanted to comment on the Black Warren quest:

This quest is the worst quest I came across because of the time spent on it as well doing it. The difficulty of the quest itself isn't bad once it's figured out. I encountered three issues while trying to do this one:

1. The experience given for killing young brown rats was too much. These are the easiest of the types of rats hunted there. Each young brown rat averaged between 12 to 16% per kill. Each time an adventurer kills a rat like this one in the warren, the adventurer levels too quickly to 21. The grey spiders averaged around 10%, and they are not easy to find in the area. The problem was that adventurers outleveled the Black Warren area before they could try finishing their quests and killing the rat boss for the honors to behold.

2. The rat boss does not show up. Time was spent killing rats and spiders to be able to move further into the area to find the rat boss and eliminate him for good. I waited for about an hour in the warren today, hoping he will make his appearance. By not being able to locate the rat boss and waiting for him to show, time is wasted when the area resets on you while you are there.

3. A lack of young adventurers under 21. I did see them about, but none were interested in doing the Black Warren quest. Why make it a group-only quest? Since Battlerage was implemented in Achaea to give adventurers new challenges hunting in different areas, I think the quest can be doable solo if the amount of both straight and bleeding damages are lowered, but not much or there won't be a challenge facing these rats. We should have a choice to either do it as a group for fun or as a solo adventurer for fun.

Overall, I think this quest needs to be looked at a bit closely and be adjusted where necessary to give adventuers a CHANCE to face the evil rat boss. I outleveled the area too quickly while trying to do this quest as others have commented previously. I was disappointed and even mad about losing this chance to attain an achievement for myself as a young adventurer.

The newbie honors quests in Lusternia were difficult, but they could be attained without outleveling the area unlike this one for Achaea.
    While I do not disagree with the points here, I had created a few alts and ran some tests

The count required to kill my change on the hour, but it took three of us killing about 70 rats total to make Pieranotzu show up. And then the dungeon reset (possibly end of day?)

There was no real flavor text that said he was there, but killing enough does make him appear.
  • Did you or your fellow adventurers outlevel the area when you guys were killing rats to get him to show up? I did, and I wasn't impressed. The point I hope to make is that this quest is difficult to attain the honors from because the experience gained from killing these rats and spiders was too much. I went from around level 12 to 19 in one hour just hunting there. And today, I literally jumped to 21 without getting a chance to face the rat boss. In Lusternia, an adventurer can quest for almost a long time, given plenty of time to do one honors quest but if he or she is smart enough to stay under 21, they can do both honors quests for Savior of the Gnomes and Savior of the Finks lines.

This Achaean quest is good in concept. But the experience gained from killing quest-related creatures isn't good in practicality.
  • edited November 2015
    Ah you know the only gripe was knowing that we had to keep killing. Three of us going in at level 10 were getting like 7 percent per kill which was not bad at all, we could have handled it but we did a lot of sitting around thinking there was a mystery to solve in Pieranotzus room

i think a small xp tweak and maybe a cut scene with a denizen getting eaten in Pieranotzus lair that gives you a hint to keep killing and it would be fine.

ultimately the xp thing aside it was pretty fun
  • As a newbie I'd like to say bravo to anyone who worked out what to do to even find the Warren. Utterly mind boggling.

• Yeah, I missed it on my last character so was determined to do it this time around. I still had a lot of trouble.

• It’s a nice way to get introduced to the wonderful joyful world of Questing in Achaea at least!

By wonderful and joyful I mean painful and ridiculous.

• As a newbie I'd like to say bravo to anyone who worked out what to do to even find the Warren. Utterly mind boggling.

I saw you asking about it on the newbie channel but I wasn't sure if I was actually allowed to respond with any hints about it. The NPCs do give you hints about it, that's how I found it, but it's still kinda arcane to anyone totally new to the game.

Without resting, my king, you will work, my king

Until all is plentiful in the people's garden

• Sorry for the mini-necro, but recalling my time as a newbie here, I ran into two others facing frustrations with this quest for one reason or another. One of whom was chasing a wildly wrong and time-consuming lead. I found this winning bardic poem and it was the missing piece for me to finish the quest:

Hope this helps anyone else who's searching for guidance. Also, I solo'ed the warrens at I think lvl 16-17 (not out of choice), and then got to level 21 in the warrens alone before finishing the quest. Took just over an hour of endless killing? Just a point of reference!

• To be honest, I feel like there should be a -100% exp modifier in the warren cave which should be in source code since Annwyn/Islands/Underworld have +% exp modifiers. I've heard a lot of people leveling out of it.

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • They fixed that

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Could you clarify what the fix was please? Do you no longer get booted out of the Warrens beyond a certain level? I tried searching the announce board for mentions of 'warrens' but got nothing

• That's correct. If you earn enough experience to reach level 21 while in the warren you will instead stay level 20 until you leave the warren, at which point you will gain the appropriate levels for the amount of experience earned and potentially get kicked out of the newbie areas.