Ship Changes!

Comments

• edited November 2015
    I can see the good and bad of both of these changes. I mean, a ship should not be a portal to hunting grounds and neither should it be a place where you can escape from the world.

However, I think that ships deserve there own defense systems similar to totems as the changes are added and I feel like the houses should be able to have non prism rooms. (Maybe like a sea talisman or something that transfixes when people enter or something similar. )I mean, the nonprism room on a ship would be crazy expensive. However, I also think a thief going into a harbour and blindly prisming to every ship owner on the ship list should not get bitten somehow when they get there. Perhaps allow totems in the house. I think they are good changes...barring there is something given back.

The best thing this does, is if a Pirate is sitting in a harbour looking to block the harbour and sink someone coming into port...a large group can come and prism onto their ship. (However making sea combat a land based thing is kinda silly though.)

I do know more changes are coming though, so I will cross my fingers and hope it swings a little more back towards how it was while maintaining the good in these changes.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Halos said:
    Tesha said:
    Tecton did say there's a lot more exciting stuff coming up though, so it's probably worth giving them a chance. Honestly, this basically just changes ships from afk safehouses and convenient portals into more... ships. Judging from the last year or so of changes to Achaea, I think ships will be fine. 

Instead of ranting about how the bronze token is seemingly useless now, how about you all just wait it out? I doubt the team will end up letting you all down
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Tharvis said:
    Halos said:
    Tesha said:
    Tecton did say there's a lot more exciting stuff coming up though, so it's probably worth giving them a chance. Honestly, this basically just changes ships from afk safehouses and convenient portals into more... ships. Judging from the last year or so of changes to Achaea, I think ships will be fine. 

Instead of ranting about how the bronze token is seemingly useless now, how about you all just wait it out? I doubt the team will end up letting you all down
    Because we are allowed to just as anyone else is allowed to speak their opinion here whether positive or negative, and should be able to without being guilted into silencing themselves?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Razzlo said:
    I can see the good and bad of both of these changes. I mean, a ship should not be a portal to hunting grounds and neither should it be a place where you can escape from the world.

However, I think that ships deserve there own defense systems similar to totems as the changes are added and I feel like the houses should be able to have non prism rooms. I mean, the nonprism room on a ship would be crazy expensive. However, I also think a thief going into a harbour and blindly prisming to every ship owner on the ship list should not get bitten somehow when they get there. Perhaps allow totems in the house. I think they are good changes...barring there is something given back.

The best thing this does, is if a Pirate is sitting in a harbour looking to block the harbour and sink someone coming into port...a large group can come and prism onto their ship. (However making sea combat a land based thing is kinda silly though.)
    prism still has the restriction that it fails if the target moves, and you can't exactly sense who's on a ship in a harbour. So if they have commscreen up, good luck checking if they're around, unless you literally want to prism to everyone on QW and everyone you -think- -might- be online

• Leave it to the Garden to plan something super awesome for seafaring but before the implement it they nerf it to the ground for a week just to taste the salty tears of sorrow for a while. They could have nerfed it at the same time they revealed all the new stuff they have planned, haha.
    Razzlo said:
    But why not? If I'm in a mood where I want to be here and work on things in a solitary manner or whatever, then I should be allowed to. No one should be forced into a position where they have to potentially interact and deal with others 100% of the time without having to qq.

• Wait, so if you disconnect on ship, someone can prism in, kill your crew and then just waltz away? Okay stuff that.

Kayeil said:
    Razzlo said:
    But why not? If I'm in a mood where I want to be here and work on things in a solitary manner or whatever, then I should be allowed to. No one should be forced into a position where they have to potentially interact and deal with others 100% of the time without having to qq.
    Welcome to playing a multiplayer game. And to your last post : there's a difference between blind ranting, and constructive ranting.

Tharvis said:
    Kayeil said:
    Razzlo said:
    Welcome to playing a multiplayer game. And to your last post : there's a difference between blind ranting, and constructive ranting.
    You didn't ask for a different ranting style, though even that is a bit imposing your wants on others. You asked us to silence ourselves and wait to see what else might come later. If I had a solution to make the bronze token more useful again I'd surely post it.

• Tharvis said:
    Razzlo said:

However, I think that ships deserve there own defense systems similar to totems as the changes are added and I feel like the houses should be able to have non prism rooms. I mean, the nonprism room on a ship would be crazy expensive. However, I also think a thief going into a harbour and blindly prisming to every ship owner on the ship list should not get bitten somehow when they get there. Perhaps allow totems in the house. I think they are good changes...barring there is something given back.

prism still has the restriction that it fails if the target moves, and you can't exactly sense who's on a ship in a harbour. So if they have commscreen up, good luck checking if they're around, unless you literally want to prism to everyone on QW and everyone you -think- -might- be online
    Not like thieves don't sorta view it as a numbers game anyways. And I am sure they could convince someone in a clan to fork over a list of owners of ships kept by the Mariners for some gold.
  • Kayeil said:
    Sure you can build and put a no-prism on the rooms, but seriously... that's pretty expensive on a vessel that is already expensive.

No Prism (keyword: noprism)
      - For those desperate for privacy, this will prevent prisming into that
        room.
      - 40 room credits. (80 outside of subdivision)
      - NOTE: not available on ships.

I should also add before I decide to sell my ship I AM waiting to see what else happens, but otherwise I'll get rid of it while hoping for some kind of ship and bronze token refund. Lesson refund and trait resets for those of us who picked seafaring traits would be nice too, but I don't foresee us being that lucky.

• Razzlo said:
    Tharvis said:
    Razzlo said:

Not like thieves don't sorta view it as a numbers game anyways. And I am sure they could convince someone in a clan to fork over a list of owners of ships kept by the Mariners for some gold.
    This is a fault in a person, not a fault in a system.
  • That is quite a mixed bag of changes, some I like, some I don't like.

On average I am not sure this has been an improvement to seafaring.
    Razzlo said:
    Tharvis said:
    Razzlo said:

Hell they don't even have to ask. Alt it up.

Kafziel said:
    Kayeil said:
    Sure you can build and put a no-prism on the rooms, but seriously... that's pretty expensive on a vessel that is already expensive.

No Prism (keyword: noprism)
      - For those desperate for privacy, this will prevent prisming into that
        room.
      - 40 room credits. (80 outside of subdivision)
      - NOTE: not available on ships.

Oh. I didn't realize that. Well that sucks even more.

Draekar said:
    That is quite a mixed bag of changes, some I like, some I don't like.

On average I am not sure this has been an improvement to seafaring.
    Oh for sure, some of those changes are just fine, don't bother me a bit, but some changes are just huge.

• Kayeil said:
    Razzlo said:

Hmm. I see it as something you would have to pay for. In all honesty, most people are not going to bother you out of the blue. When I am standing around in a city or in a grove or something, I rarely get accosted. If I want to be completely cut off from the world, I had to go to a bed or on a ship.

Now people cannot wholly hide on ships anymore. I doubt most people are going to bother someone who is not into combat or someone who is not fleeing from punishment for their actions. You can buy a house or a bed...a nonprism room and such in a house...and I think those options should be afforded the cabin housing now. However, it is a multi player game and I don't think someone should be wholly unreachable without the investment.

• I assume they will change the no prism on ships thing. It was previously worthless, so it would make sense for it to be unavailable.

Still incredibly expensive, and doesn't help if you're on deck - you know, actually preparing to sail somewhere. It takes more than a prism worth of time to organise a marque run, and the people you'll be taking will not be up with what works on ships.

• Valkyn said:
    I assume they will change the no prism on ships thing. It was previously worthless, so it would make sense for it to be unavailable.

Still incredibly expensive, and doesn't help if you're on deck - you know, actually preparing to sail somewhere. It takes more than a prism worth of time to organise a marque run, and the people you'll be taking will not be up with what works on ships.
    I agree and this is what I was going off of...an anticipation that they will add it because it was useless before. If they don't, I will be surprised.
    Razzlo said:
    Kayeil said:
    Razzlo said:

Hmm. I see it as something you would have to pay for. In all honesty, most people are not going to bother you out of the blue. When I am standing around in a city or in a grove or something, I rarely get accosted. If I want to be completely cut off from the world, I had to go to a bed or on a ship.

Now people cannot wholly hide on ships anymore. I doubt most people are going to bother someone who is not into combat or someone who is not fleeing from punishment for their actions. You can buy a house or a bed...a nonprism room and such in a house...and I think those options should be afforded the cabin housing now. However, it is a multi player game and I don't think someone should be wholly unreachable without the investment.

Ships were already a high cost gold sink. Just the act of keeping it out of drydock was a constant drain of funds.

Also, you do realize there are huge gaping holes to housing safety?

1.) If someone mind commands you to open a door, doesn't matter if your house is no prism, you can still have safety issues here.

2.) If you don't keep up sigils in every single room all of the time, people can enter your house as a soul and if they have a gem to reincarnate on the spot they can resurrect themselves inside your house and take whatever is able to be grabbed if they see something they like. Then they can leave multiple ways. I have one friend who had to be away from the game for a little bit and their eye sigils decayed. @Lisbethae... if you've seen the story in past forum posts... she lots tons of crated pets and other things that she had non-decayed and collected for herself, her Order, family and friends. Someone robbed her of everything. She only got a portion of it back after having to pay for every piece she had returned, but most of it was sold off to other players.

Focusing more on housing is not the greatest solution to the change.

• edited November 2015

I magine that if people didn't abuse ships for safe houses and sailing-free island travel, these changes wouldn't be going in.

If you want safe houses, really should petition for something along those lines, rather than using a non-intended mechanic to achieve something the administration was not going for, for a relatively cheap price.

If you want sailing-free island travel, well, all I can say is that defeats the purpose of sailing.

edit: I see that they reverted the changes.

The prism change I get reverting for a few reasons, though there definitely needs to be a way to prevent docking up forever.

The shipreturn change I fully understand, as we need a mechanic to not get stuck on an island. Need to encourage sailing, not discourage.

I look forward to what they come up with!

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Hahahaha

That was a fast about face.

Nothing to see here. Close thread.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    Trevize said:

I magine that if people didn't abuse ships for safe houses and sailing-free island travel, these changes wouldn't be going in.

If you want safe houses, really should petition for something along those lines, rather than using a non-intended mechanic to achieve something the administration was not going for, for a relatively cheap price.

If you want sailing-free island travel, well, all I can say is that defeats the purpose of sailing.

I would LOVE, 10000% support better security for housing. They are just too risky even with upgrades. If housing was fixed to be far safer and a better place to hang out and interact, I'd  not give one single damn about the prism thing on ships.

Aesi said:
    Note on them not being infallable creatures: They work hard to provide a great game that I believe we can all agree that we enjoy.

They also have feelings. Trust me, when you pour your heart and soul into something and then get told it's shit, it hurts.

Not that you don't have a right to complain, but know that they would never purposely put something in to spite any of you.

The people upstairs rock.
    I have no personal malice toward the admins and everyone else behind the scenes. This had been discussed in the past on another thread where people already gave their negative opinions of the ideas so I wasn't surprised to see more naysaying against some of these changes.

• Kayeil said:
    Razzlo said:
    This. Name me a single successful MMO with no safe zone. I can't think of one.
This discussion has been closed.