Ship Changes!

KayeilKayeil Washington State
ANNOUNCE NEWS #4449                                     (11/05/2015 at 19:12)  
From   : Tecton the Terraformer
To     : Everyone
Subject: Ships and seafaring update
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Alongside our previous bug reports, we've just implemented our first 
massive batch of ship and seafaring changes! We'll have many more changes to 
come, but for now, I present:
      * Ship and seamonster movement in range of your vessel will now show that 
movement via forced map updates. This does not occur while your ship is in a 
harbour, or while in a ship race.
* SHIPWARNING will now show a direction when a vessel WAVECALLs away.
* Verbal commands on ships can no longer be done while a soul.
* Ship repairs will now halt with no captain or crew chief present or alive.
      * Salvaged ships now have a safe window after being salvaged that will 
prevent further loss if re-sunk.
      * Prism tattoos will now work from harbour to docked ship, or docked ship 
to docked ship in the same harbour (the usual prism blocks still apply).
* SHIPRETURN will now only work to ships that are not in a harbour.
      * Flares and seamarks now handle locations in the southern hemisphere 
correctly.
* Winds in the southern hemisphere are now far more sensical and accurate.
* The roughness of the seas on the southern hemisphere has been reduced.
* Many dozens of other small bugfixes and inconsistencies have been corrected.
      Additionally, we've pretty much rewritten the entirety of the back-end 
mapping/ship location code to fully account for seamless transition between the 
northern and southern hemispheres. While we have not encountered any issues in 
testing, they may still pop up live (as they have a tendency to do). If you 
encounter anything not working as intended, please file a BUG with as much 
information as possible, and we'll get it fixed up.
Penned by My hand on the 25th of Chronos, in the year 697 AF.

Discuss! What do you think?
What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    I just got shipreturn to prin. I died a little inside.

convenience wise people are going to whine and bitch but I think it (ideally, maybe not the way people will see it from being biased at how it was) is:
    • it promotes people to get on the ships and sail
    • it affords people with ships to be able to charge for trips, which I think is cool (not that they couldn't before, but warping about to islands is less doable now)
    • it will hopefully fill up the boring ocean with more ships.

I know this is not a popular point of view. I'm for it though. I want to shoot me some pirates and defend shiprunners.
  • edited November 2015
    So... if I sail the ship to the Ilyrean Isles or somewhere and @Shirszae logs in, sails back to the mainland and docks somewhere, I'm just... stuck? Since I can't shipreturn? Dislike.
  • Meh, I could care less. If you gave me a cookie.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited November 2015
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4450                                     (11/05/2015 at 19:26)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Shipreturn
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a quick note regarding the SHIPRETURN change - we've reverted this for the next 24 hours, allowing captains to retrieve their ships from any outlying ports.

Penned by My hand on the 25th of Chronos, in the year 697 AF.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Elowin said:
    So... if I sail the ship to the Ilyrean Isles or somewhere and @Shirszae logs in, sails back to the mainland and docks somewhere, I'm just... stuck? Since I can't shipreturn? Dislike.
    You'd have to get her to undock the ship for you to ship return and if she's not in realms you're pretty much screwed. Then you have to sit and wait or kill yourself.

• Honestly, just made me glad I sold off my ships before this happened.  Might be able to snag one cheap now.
  • Kayeil said:
    I guess having the prism aspect now will get rid of a bunch of ships people won't want anymore because otherwise the mainland harbors are going to be really full at first.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion you don't have to agree or be mean about it, but this is one of the worst changes in Achaea I've seen since I started playing.
    I respect your opinion, the other side of that coin is that if this was literally the only reason they had a ship, the seafaring system was inherently broken.

Aesi said:
    Kayeil said:
    I guess having the prism aspect now will get rid of a bunch of ships people won't want anymore because otherwise the mainland harbors are going to be really full at first.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion you don't have to agree or be mean about it, but this is one of the worst changes in Achaea I've seen since I started playing.
    I respect your opinion, the other side of that coin is that if this was literally the only reason they had a ship, the seafaring system was inherently broken.

I don't think it's the only reason, but if you're not a pirate (which most of us aren't) you have to be careful about when you go sailing. Now you might as well just pay someone to take you instead of dealing with all the upkeep yourself for something that only has a much smaller purpose than it did before.

• That prism thing is kind of a deal breaker... I love my ship, but I don't know if it's worth the cost now.

The shipreturn, if they're going to nerf it into the ground like that, they could at least let us shipreturn to more ships. Now -that- would encourage ship combat.

IF it ends up that a ton of ships are going to be sold but there is no market for them (I mean most people don't care to acquire a huge fleet), I'd like to see some kind of base refund for each ship type. It doesn't have to refund all the upgrades and crew, but gives back at least the base cost of the ship or something close to it. Getting a refund won't be a huge benefit considering the gold sink a ship is while in your ownership, and we'd not be getting any of that back.

• edited November 2015
    I'm probably not going to sail anymore for fear of either getting marooned or marooning the owner. Which sucks, because I loved sailing! But there's no point if I'm just going to have to kill myself and lose the XP I sailed to whatever island for in the first place.

The ship has no practical use for me now. If I leave my things in the cabin, I may not be able to get to them. If I go fishing, I may maroon someone. If I go there to read, I may get ganked, safer to be in a city. If I go to an island, I may deny the owner access or trap her into going on a trip with me. And then she might maroon me.
    I honestly only see pirates, thieves, and combatants winning with this change. I don't see how this benefits anyone else in a positive way.

• The entire point of ships had gone down to being out of subs houses/convenience jump to a specific port, which is now gone.

Guess the administration is only interesting in having the handful of people who is interested in ship combat out sailing. Not that it surprises me

• ...well, that settles it then. I'm done with Achaea on a more permanent basis.
  • I guess the solution as far as the shipreturn thing is just for everyone to get their own ships instead of being part of a dedicated crew. Sucks, I liked that. I hope they expand the number of spaces in ports, then. But, seems like a lot of people are going to be turned off on the whole ship thing altogether, so maybe it'll balance out? I seriously doubt it, but we'll see.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    I foresee a sharp rise in bed purchases now. 

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    * SHIPRETURN will now only work to ships that are not in a harbour.

good change. Too many people (including myself) have used ships as a convenient shipreturn to islands such as Tuar or Zaphar for their commodity shops, then entered wilderness to Gare/urn back to mainland (since there is no gare restriction from the wilderness even on remote islands)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I asked about any possibility for refunding seafaring lessons because I only learned it for shipreturning, but there weren't any plans to. Tecton did say there's a lot more exciting stuff coming up though, so it's probably worth giving them a chance. Honestly, this basically just changes ships from afk safehouses and convenient portals into more... ships. Judging from the last year or so of changes to Achaea, I think ships will be fine. 

i'm a rebel

• Deep sea mining.... come on... deep sea mining.
  • I'm concerned that there seems to be no decent way to get back to the mainland if you get stranded, without shipreturn to docked.

Fix that somehow and I have no problem with these changes.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Tesha said:
    Tecton did say there's a lot more exciting stuff coming up though, so it's probably worth giving them a chance. Honestly, this basically just changes ships from afk safehouses and convenient portals into more... ships. Judging from the last year or so of changes to Achaea, I think ships will be fine. 

Bronze token is totally useless. Waste of crowns.

If they're going to change ships so drastically, at least make housing more safe than it is. Or less expensive to make it safe. But it's still not the same because people can abuse the hell out of housing if you forget to put down eye sigils when they decay. Have seen this happen too many times.

This discussion has been closed.