Targossian-Specific Snake

So I've been annoying @Aurora for forever now to get a Targossian-specific snake, and I remembered that she asked me to design it. No problem doing this but I thought I'd get some ideas from everyone on the foundation. Targossas is a series of islands, so, something from a water environment. It can't be a mamba ( Thanks @Jhui ).

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Targossas can get sea snakes, and like the real thing, they should be totally useless on land.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    run a design contest inside Targossas!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    run a design contest inside Targossas!
    Would that be considered IC?
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    if you phrase it right, anything can be considered IC. Hell, how else would you even set up a contest to design a falcon? An organisational emote? The description of your Order's shrines (you can totally have that edited, vastar asked me to see if I could draw something up during the sky-sea war thing)?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Oh Sena's suggestion is a good one. Ask them what would be a desirable trait or what they think might help a snake best survive in the environment that Targossas exists in. Or if any of them have any knowledge of reptilian creatures if they have any advice on what sort of traits a snake would have if you went out looking to capture any to train for serpent use. You could roll this so many different kinds of ways, sounds fun actually.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• One-eyed snakes.
  • Bothrops insularis.
  • Krypton said:
    Targossas can get sea snakes, and like the real thing, they should be totally useless on land.
    Hmmm, most sea snakes reside in shallow water near land and are capable of moving around on land. Other than habitually shorter tongue action, (not always!) softer (frequently not over-lapping) scales, and a weaker envenomation, they aren't really at a disadvantage on land. Also, most sea-snakes bites cause paralysis and rapid skeletal-muscle deterioration. I would be happy with that.. :)
    If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.
  • @Micaelis
    You can count on my entry!

• Only ones I know off the top of my head are the cobra (Ashtan) and adder (Mhaldor), I'm pretty sure there's vipers and rattlesnakes too but I don't recall from where.

If you want to go with a more sea-snake feel, I'd say go with moccasin for the general type, and describe it based off the water moccasin specifically. The other option here is a type of krait, which has plenty of different native-to-water species.

The other 'common' types of snakes that I don't believe are used would be the taipan, python, or boa, though those are obviously much less 'watery'.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Ours got changed to a Krait.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Why settle for snake? I want the Kraken.

edited November 2015
    Oooo google images pulls up some wicked awesome snakes when you look up sea snakes. You also have that river right there so you could try some kind of a river snake, too.

Edit: Water moccasins are scary. :scream: One of my least favorite parts about living in Texas when I was younger was worrying about those and all kinds of other dangerous creepy crawlies.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_water_snake

This one pretty cool, we'd need a better name though. 'Eastern River Snake'? Idk. It lives on land though but near water
  • A silver-flecked moccasin'd be a pretty snake. Since the Silverveil gleams like someone threw up glitter in it, you could probably get away with having the snakes' scales have little silver spots on them, and that'd be pretty pretty :O
  • I understand the bite, but the chewing.

My dog loves chasing these in the water.
  • Atalkez said:
    Ours got changed to a Krait.
    What the actual f-. Back in the day when I cared and was motivated to do stuff, I had been designing our serpent as a Krait. Damn thieves :(

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Antidas said:
    Atalkez said:
    Ours got changed to a Krait.
    What the actual f-. Back in the day when I cared and was motivated to do stuff, I had been designing our serpent as a Krait. Damn thieves :(
    It was basically done for us with no input. It's a beautiful design.

We've got to design our own falcons though. I miss the Ashuran angry birds.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Anedhel said:
    Since the Silverveil gleams like someone threw up glitter in it, you could probably get away with having the snakes' scales have little silver spots on them, and that'd be pretty pretty :O
      @Lala.

On the topic, Eleusis has tree snakes.

For Targossas, though, you could always take inspiration from Australia, which has most of the Top 10 list of deadly snakes. An Eastern Brown, for example, or Coastal Taipan.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Could do an indigo hued or black and gold, but I think it'd be cool if you had some type of unique snake with the hues of a flame or a luminescent snake to go along with the Righteous Fire and the Light. As someone who has never been interested in serpent class, I'd actually be fairly jealous of a luminescent type snake... wishful thinking for a crated pet.

• I think 'special' snakes should be reserved to custom'd ones. General snakes should be just that, general. Pick a general type of snake, give it a quirk in its long description but keep it p standard.

If you want a fiery glowing snake, it should be a custom one, not a city one.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• 20 foot silver anacondas
  • The krait is rainbow. Lala is a happy serpent.
  • I like yellow-belly sea snakes for their pattern, but you might also consider coral snakes. Just remember: "Red next to black, friend of Jack. Red next to yellow can kill a fellow."
  • Yeah I do remember us discussing it and going with the krait design.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia

Garter snakes. The top left is a silver variety.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Bush viper.

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Kyrra said:
    Garter snakes. The top left is a silver variety.
    Garter snakes are completely harmless though. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??