Bacon and RP

Comments

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Thank you @Sarapis for the thread name change. Because um... I'm on the forums at work and I didn't want to explain this thread title. ;)
  • Adet said:
    Szanthax said:
    Apparently bacon really is a carcinogen... Damn you world health organization.
    It is... but the IARC (who assign categories) don't communicate risk very well (they deal in evidence).  Group 1 (to which processed meats have recently been added) is substances which are carcinogenic to humans - but that says nothing about the level: all it means is that, at some level of consumption of processed meat, there is some increase in risk of getting some kind of cancer (in this case, it's an 18% increased risk* of bowel cancer).

Most potential carcinogens fall into Group 2A/2B (probably/possibly carconigenic to humans) or Group 3 (not enough information).  One substance - caprolactam - is in Group 4: probably not carcinogenic.

Cancer Research UK made a nice diagram:

*There's an essay to be written on what an 18% increased risk of bowel cancer means, as well - but I'll spare you that.  Suffice it to say, this is a very small risk.
    I'll eat everything... 'Merica

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited October 2015
    Krypton said:
    Is it possible to eat MUD-bacon in such a way that it represents only an Achaean character's interests, and not yours (the player's)?

I don't believe so.

Bacon ≠ RP

Spoilering for TMI, but since this keeps coming up over and over and over and it is a huge misconception IMHO...

I disagree. I don't always get or expect some sort of RL sexual satisfaction out of mudsex, and have sought that less and less over the years (partly due to RP and partly because I just have a low sex drive). If Aereidhna makes out or has sex, it's because it's what she would do at that moment, given that she is madly in lurrrrve and in the honeymoon phase of a relationship and whatnot. I might sometimes find it arousing, but that's actually incidental to roleplaying her character and is less common than is assumed. (Also less common is me acting on that arousal.) Aereidhna's romantic and sexual proclivities do not fully mirror mine in a couple of significant ways. Navarr's player and I discussed the IC/OOC boundary quite a bit, along with our comfort level and so on, and our characters' experiences/desires aren't necessarily reflective of our RL experiences/desires. I don't see anything wrong with having mudsex for the purpose of getting off OOC (and I've done that before), but I do believe it is entirely possible to have mudsex in a way that it represents the character's interests and not your own. I get enjoyment from it because I enjoy RPing Aereidhna's life, including her relationships, OOC sexual enjoyment is incidental to that if it happens at all. You could chalk my experience up to being an anomaly, but I don't necessarily think that's the case, either.
    Daklore said: 
    What if you're religiously forbidden from bacon in real life? Then you -can- eat bacon in-character outside of your own interests.
    Unless you're like, seriously tempted by bacon in reality and this is just your way of "indulging" without sinning ... ... would eating text-bacon be a sin for someone who can't actually eat bacon because of religion? I don't know. This is why I'm an athiest, but someone let me know, please?

Depends entirely on the religion, but speaking as a follower of a religion that gets a reputation for being 'strict' about this sort of thing...I would say most mainstream scholars and practitioners of my religion would consider mudsex sinful, along with books, movies, etc. that contain graphic depictions of sex. Probably not to the same degree that actually having sex outside of marriage is sinful, but still certainly going down the wrong path. I don't think it would get a pass as "indulging" without sin because that concept doesn't really exist in my faith, the idea is that you want to avoid sin as well as any sort of thing that could lead you into sin. There is also the issue of potentially getting swept up in romantic fantasies/feelings about someone who isn't your spouse, just aside from the whole sexual aspect.

That said, I believe all religious people (whether they admit to it or not) tend to pick and choose what to follow. In every religion that bans pre-marital sex, bacon, drinking, tattoos, etc. there are plenty of people who do those things and still believe in God. I'm observant (some might say to the extreme) with some aspects of my religion, and other aspects I struggle with, and even other aspects I just don't necessarily agree with at all (or follow a non-mainstream interpretation). There are plenty of people in my religion who might not commit the sin of pre-marital sex or adultery because *gasp* it's so awful who actively gossip (which is a huge, huge sin in my faith) and see no problem with that. Human beings are complex and flawed.

• edited October 2015
    I can pretty much echo Aeireidhna's experiences exactly (well, the first part, not the religious bit, I'm not religious). Maybe it's different for guys, or even for other women.

With that in mind, after once or twice for RP, mudsex can be *really* boring sometimes. Repetitive, time consuming, takes a lot of thought. Less like sex, and more like... writing an essay. On an interesting topic, to be fair, but still.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Anatral said:

Because unconscious people don’t want bacon. Trust me on this.

See, this is where the analogy falls apart... because BACON.

Unconscious people want bacon.

Everyone wants bacon.

It is the 4th Law of Thermodynamics, and the 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
  • Only if it's good bacon.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I don't just want bacon, I want 50 Shades of Bacon.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited October 2015
    Klendathu said:
    I don't just want bacon, I want 50 Shades of Bacon.
    I know of a place in Hashan that can cater to your needs. Just ask for Kaethryn.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    I can't for the life of me understand how in the.. what the....

-Why-

I feel like a psychologist would have a field day in this thread.

• edited October 2015
    There's a dimension of this you guys are missing: namely, that the Bacon can RP eating YOU. That's right, folks, one way to play a Quisalis mark is to simply feed your target alive to the pigs. Like this fine gentleman did with his mob rival:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515069/Gangster-kills-rival-feeding-alive-pigs-year-feud-members-Italian-crime-syndicate.html

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    That's just because even most trolls fear the cybersex stigma, which is considerable in Achaea, for whatever reason you want to postulate. No one wants to joke or exaggerate in here for fear of getting hit with that label in-game (or more accurately, on OOC channels.), which has allowed for more coherent discourse.

Also Sarapis has been a consistent, visible presence in the thread. Folks know to play nice when daddy's watching.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Jeslyn said:
    I don't care what people do as long as it is not in my grove. On two separate ocassions, I've had the pleasant opportunity, as a fairly hidden Tsol'aan, to either eject them or start throwing firecrackers (I don't remember who gave me that idea, but the reaction was fairly awesome). Trees are homes too, I don't want to pick up people's sex toy litter.
    This is why I originally moved my grove out of the Aureliana and away from the Vundamere crowd. Nothing kills affection for a grove location faster than walking into it to see that two novices have dropped a blanket and are cavorting naked about the place.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    AB GROVES SHARING suddenly has a whole new meaning.

Krypton said:
    Oooooh... so that's why Hyperlith put his Grove in Harae, 10 aggro poharaehe deep.

@Hyperlith Your wisdom astounds your protégée to this day!
  • You think groves are bad? Track down anyone you see sit still on the wilderness map.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Shirszae said:
    Trevize said:
    You think groves are bad? Track down anyone you see sit still on the wilderness map.
    Well, thats more asking for it, really. At least people sitting in the wilderness are literally doing stuff out of the way. 
    Hmm, true. I used to track to people I could when exploring randomly, on my Druid, just to see if they found something I didn't.

I stopped doing that pretty fast.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • This is why it pays to be Mhaldorian. I feel well within my RP to start stormhammering anyone using my grove for public displays of affection.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    on the note of groves and walking in on things in the wilderness - since when can you imprint a grove in the wilderness?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    you can't imprint I think, but IIRC you can plant your staff to port your grove.