Achaean Architecture?

KayeilKayeil Washington State
So I'm slowly working on building a house, and while I'm getting ideas from my own research... I was curious if anyone more knowledgeable has a better idea of what the dominant style of architecture is in Achaea, or if it varies by area? And if it varies quite a bit, which ones have you noticed?

Some of my favorite styles are french baroque (especially rococo "late baroque"), antebellum, châteauesque, gothic revival, greek revival, manor, mansion, neoclassical, palladian, and second empire. For any of you who might also be into house building, you can get ideas here. I also like some of the native american styles being native american myself, but I just don't feel like this fits well into Achaea.

If you've started building a house or are planning to, what styles did you pull your inspiration from? I know some won't even be on that list, such as tree houses and the like. I'm just curious as to what other people have chosen for themselves, what already exists in the Achaean world created by the people who do work behind the scenes, and what may be most appropriate in this style of game. I also realize there will often be a mix of fantasy and magic, so nothing will be 100% inspired by any real world architecture.
What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Comments

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    The Wintermournes live in a nasty cavern ala the Batcave. Turned out to be a mix of Roman-style art with mostly primitive/hole in the ground kind of feel. 

My original home in Loosis was shamelessly taken from an amalgamation of Tlingkit/Haida/Salish dwellings, in part because I was doing the Salish language program at my school at the time. 

Probably the prettiest IC house I've seen belonged to @Melodie, so I'd be curious to hear what she and Aerek got their inspirations from for that.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    My family is Tlingit, so I really like the longhouses, but it just doesn't suit what I'm looking for in an Achaean home I guess.

I'm pretty certain the house @Gamden and I are building will be partially underground and partially above ground.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Architecture varies between the cities a lot, and even within the cities there can be a huge difference in materials. Ashtan has a lot of pink marble buildings for example, whereas Targossas is truly Grecian in style. I personally love Targ for the design, from the sandstone buildings and little garden areas, to their more formal/important buildings being done in marble. The military areas are drastically different as well.

I've always been personally fond of Victorian architecture and I was especially proud of my house that I had in Cyrene. It opened to a covered courtyard with easy access to a stables, and nearby gardens and pond. Most of my houses actually go in to some sort of outside area because I just can't fathom trudging animals through a house to get to a stable. That house was only quite small (eight rooms) but I suppose it was done in a proper town house style. The stables had access to the kitchen, which lead to the main lounge/sitting room, where there was access back to the courtyard. It flowed through to a library/study, onto a bedroom, and a hidden underground storage room. It was extremely elegant in design and I think that was partly due to my own love for that sort of style, but also because Cyrene just has that upper-class vibe sometimes.

My Sylvan's got a house (you probably remember it since you did some of the totems) and it was mostly underground. It was less of a house and more like an underground eco system for harvesting, but that was fun to come up with.

If you don't have a specific style or mental image of what you want your house to be, I'd suggest starting with a list of rooms that you want and going the floor plan method of figuring out where you want everything located. I found that helped me a lot for figuring out the design for my latest house, and you can build the designs up from that. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Walking around the cities and reading room descriptions can give an idea of the types of buildings they have, and how they're laid out. As far as I remember they rarely go into detail on specific architectural styles but they do give the broad strokes of the types of buildings you'll find. For example (mostly going by memory), Ashtan has wood and brick houses in the residential areas, huge marble and granite mansions in the richer parts, mostly smaller wooden buildings in the docks and slums (a lot of them rotting and decaying in the slums), large open-air market districts.

Sena's house is basically just a limestone cave (not even especially modified, aside from the bedroom), so I didn't have to worry at all about architecture.
    I really liked Le Palais Royal and Palazzo di Amore. I've been looking at lots of different types of homes that take inspiration from older styles, it's so hard to decide! This and this also have some interesting places to look for ideas.

I suppose as long as it isn't too modern you're pretty open to drawing inspiration from wherever. Still curious as to what everyone else thinks, and maybe if some admins and Gods wanted to comment.

I would know 100% for sure what I was going to do if I was allowed to trade my out of subs plot for a certain out of the way room on Sapience, but I don't even think that's possible, not even with an added cost. One can always dream, though!

Jurixe said:
    Coming out of lurking cos I love housing:

I modelled the Nithilar home entirely on Game of Thrones-style stone keeps, because Mhaldorian architecture is loosely like that. When designing it, I took reference from other stone keeps in terms of layout and furnishing. I really kinda wish it were directly linked to Mhaldorian roads so that people could wander in and out like a real bustling keep.
    I shamefully admit I still have not seen that show or read the books, but I still sort of get the reference since it's so popular. I definitely think stone based architecture seems to suit Mhaldor. I was looking at gothic and medeival architecture and some of it looks so dark and gloomy. Really nice designs, but not exactly what I want to go for with this house.

• Personally I started with the property location and developed off that, drawing inspiration from one of my personal favourite locations in the game that matched the location I went with.

If you can visualise walking through the house, the order the rooms connect mattering more than the direction, then you can just focus on describing what you see rather than needing to design a template. People will only be able to visualise what you describe no matter how much planning you put into the process.

Maybe a different perspective, but only use what's helpful to you personally.
  • Anedhel's house is based on what I envisioned pre-modern Shallamese to be, which is to say, Arabesque, in the style of Spain.

His house is pretty crazy opulent, so it resembles an alcazar, but with the greatest degree of luxury I can envision in that mode (like the Alhambra, or the Alcazar of Seville, in which the Game of Thrones episodes featuring Dorne were filmed). Most of it is open to the air, except for the private rooms; there're either trees or water in the terraces, and it's arranged like a fortress, so that all of the rooms overlook or have access to the central courtyard. I like it, though it's probably an archaic style of building within Achaea, from what I've seen of Targossas (it doesn't look like the rest of the City, necessarily).

I know that Cyrene is very well-rooted in Northern European Renaissance style architecture (though not necessarily Gothic, I always pictured a similar atmosphere to Rembrandt's paintings, depicting places in the Netherlands). I'm not too well-up on the rest of the Cities, but I get the impression every City has pretty distinctive architecture.

The little I've seen of Mhaldor suggest very strong Gothic themes, particularly (obviously) the Cathedral and all that. Targossas has a less Arabic feel than Shallam did, but it's still pretty mediterranean, though a little more on the pretty side, with marble and gold and all that.

Eleusis is, of course, the village of trees, which puts me in the mind of the descriptions of Lorien, from the Lord of the Rings, what with the flets and the rope-bridges that connected them, but I haven't paid too much attention to the descriptions, really.
  • edited October 2015
    Anedhel said:
    The little I've seen of Mhaldor suggest very strong Gothic themes, particularly (obviously) the Cathedral and all that. Targossas has a less Arabic feel than Shallam did, but it's still pretty mediterranean, though a little more on the pretty side, with marble and gold and all that.

Eleusis is, of course, the village of trees, which puts me in the mind of the descriptions of Lorien, from the Lord of the Rings, what with the flets and the rope-bridges that connected them, but I haven't paid too much attention to the descriptions, really.
    Mhaldor reminds me of Barad-dûr/Mordor with a healthy heaping of mud, manure, flies, and gothic architecture.

Eleusis has a lot of Lorien in it, you're right.

Some of the artisanals should have images for places like the cities. Five seconds on Google pulled up this one, for example, and this is a Cyrene image, plus Jaru. I'm sure there are others.

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited October 2015
    The I'llur family estate is designed to be very Japanese-themed. Our courtyard is a Japanese garden and our grand hall requires you to sit on cushions and eat from low-lying tables.

Even the culture and the food I served in that one tea ceremony is Japanese-based. >_>

Look up on google for Japanese gardens and Japanese dining rooms and you'll get an idea!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Different asian architecture IS gorgeous, but I know so little about it.

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Kasya's cottage is stone, with less concern to the architecture of Targossas and more a warmer, more comfortable version of Moghedu. With windows. She'd say gods bless the windows.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Aodfionn said:
    Probably the prettiest IC house I've seen belonged to @Melodie, so I'd be curious to hear what she and Aerek got their inspirations from for that.
    @AodfionnI saw this ages ago and forgot to respond, until I was working on the estate today and remembered. So just because the question was asked:

To be honest, I didn't have a set inspiration or do a whole lot of research for Ancyra. I started with a set of pretty basic guidelines, chiefly a vision of a low-fantasy, Regency/Victorian era mansion, a decision to present it as "rich" without being overtly extravagant or gaudy, and a commitment to logical architectural design. (Symmetrical, pre-planned layout; no 2nd-story rooms without a 1st-floor room beneath, etc) I think it's also important to maintain a certain consistency of decor in each room so the place feels like one home, instead of a patchwork of concepts and ideas.

I had a few particular ideas that I built around, like the central, enclosed courtyard, and the circular foyer with the two-story skylight, but the rest just developed organically from there. We added things that we wanted only if made sense to have them, we didn't skimp or take shortcuts so rooms don't feel "tacked on", (shelling out for hallways and antechambers, mostly) and we try to take into account the location and orientation of the place in the room descs. (Does it catch the sunrise or sunset, what's visible out the windows in that direction, etc) It helps that we snagged a fantastic location on the Zaphar river front that lends itself to a picturesque estate, and near Adryn's Keep for endless jokes about neighborly one-upmanship and HOA disagreements. (We briefly planned to do our own fair/open house during Adryn's games to riff on that, but I just didn't have the time)

I would say it's also important to keep brevity in mind. There have been a lot of ideas I've dropped simply because they made room descs too long, and I think when your desc is a mile long, people don't actually read them. If you want to make an impression on someone in the short span of time they'll likely spend in your e-house, you have to stick with the important details and not bore them with minutia.

I'm flattered you liked it. I don't know if you ever got the grand tour. Let's talk enemy status; show me yours and I'll show you mine.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I know @Aodfionn has been around at least twice, though definitely not full-on tour. I also have no idea how I missed him tagging me in this thread, or I would have responded ages ago. Sorry!

Aerek covered most of it. We both have a mistress-like love of Regency/Victorian era styles. A lot of the foundation was his work in actuality, I would only take credit for influences, being a sounding board and "humanising" it (personal touches that reflect the characters). We've both done a ton of research, especially on any actual new rooms we built from scratch (most recent being the turkish-style baths), and it was just an invested project we were both motivated and interested in doing.

I've found having a partner in crime with a similar mindset of style is an absolutely fabulous way to get a house that probably has way too many rooms and keeps growing anyway.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Revisiting this thread, I have an embarrasingly large estate design. I might have to cut back if only for ease of navigation.

• Never apologise, never surrender! Build moar, be proud!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Trey said:
    Revisiting this thread, I have an embarrasingly large estate design. I might have to cut back if only for ease of navigation.
    Just get Qwindor to map it when you're done building. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Trey said:
    Revisiting this thread, I have an embarrasingly large estate design. I might have to cut back if only for ease of navigation.
    I'm still waiting for you to get it under way, so we can start that war. No mansion is really a mansion until you have a few empty rooms you don't know what to do with.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Aerek said:
    Trey said:
    I'm still waiting for you to get it under way, so we can start that war. No mansion is really a mansion until you have a few empty rooms you don't know what to do with.
    I've got nine rooms that I don't know what to do with. I just can't think of anything plausible for them that fits with the house, but the rooms need to be there for the design :(

Wow that sounds very lovely!