Help me pick a class

HELP!!!

I think I have narrowed myself down to Eleusis.  Why?  I dunno the people there just seem cool.  I plan to spend a lot of time hunting but mostly because I want to bash for cash for credits.  My second priority is utility, I like cool little abilities that just help make life easier/more enjoyable.  #3 helping my citymates out by being useful in group combat is interesting to me.  I really don't know what class to pick.  In the past I have fiddled around mostly with Magi/Monk and I am looking to explore other options.  I am rolling with a runewarden alt just for a completely different experience, but some of the classes I am open to also include bard, jester, sylvan, and maybe shaman (and the aforementioned magi, monk, and runewarden). 

Comments

• Pfft, Eleusis is full of nerds. They play some text game or something.

Serpent is great in all three areas you pointed out, for the record. I have secondary jester and the hunting is awful in comparison, there's no stat to boost their damage, and they upped the price on artie blackjacks a while back so they're no cheaper than other weapons. It is useful for group combat though, and the utility is good.

Runie has good hunting, utility and group combat, I'd say that or serpent is a solid choice for all three you listed.

• If you're joining Eleusis might as well take advantage of the very coveted forestal classes. Sylvan has great hunting, huge utility with groves, and is very useful in groups. Sentinel is a little worse at hunting, has meta instead of groves for utility (which is a lot, still, but not quite as much), and is even more useful in groups.
  • Valkyn said:
    I have secondary jester and the hunting is awful in comparison, there's no stat to boost their damage, and they upped the price on artie blackjacks a while back so they're no cheaper than other weapons. It is useful for group combat though, and the utility is good.
    Bop is boosted by strength, and blackjacks are more expensive now but they were very underpriced before, they actually make a much bigger difference than most artefact weapons do. As far as I know, jester with a L3 blackjack still has one of the highest DPS in the game, way better than runewarden (at least SnB and DC, according to Antonius's post in quick questions) and not too far behind serpent (though they're also behind serpent in tankiness).
  • Huh, I was told str did nothing for jesters. I wasn't planning on hunting with it anyway, but good to know.

• Arahaelon said:
    I think I have narrowed myself down to Eleusis.  Why?  I dunno the people there just seem cool. 
    :)
    I plan to spend a lot of time hunting but mostly because I want to bash for cash for credits.  My second priority is utility, I like cool little abilities that just help make life easier/more enjoyable.  #3 helping my citymates out by being useful in group combat is interesting to me.  I really don't know what class to pick.
    As Kiet said, I might actually suggest looking at one of the three forestal classes, since you'll have access to them in Eleusis (although you won't be able to leave Eleusis for another city and keep them, so there is that). I cannot in good conscience recommend Druid (even being one myself), as while Druid probably has the most utility of the three (Metamorphosis + Groves), the bashing is mediocre at best, and you said you wanted to bash for cash for credits. Sylvan has Groves as well, and is very good at bashing (plus you get to be Swamp Thing in Viridian).

If not, though, then Runewarden is fairly solid for all those. Bard should be pretty good too (you'll be loved for dirging gravehands... and also probably targeted first).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Sena said:
    Valkyn said:
    I have secondary jester and the hunting is awful in comparison, there's no stat to boost their damage, and they upped the price on artie blackjacks a while back so they're no cheaper than other weapons. It is useful for group combat though, and the utility is good.
    Bop is boosted by strength, and blackjacks are more expensive now but they were very underpriced before, they actually make a much bigger difference than most artefact weapons do. As far as I know, jester with a L3 blackjack still has one of the highest DPS in the game, way better than runewarden (at least SnB and DC, according to Antonius's post in quick questions) and not too far behind serpent (though they're also behind serpent in tankiness).
    Lvl 3 blackjack spoils me, especially coupled with the stygian pendant. I have zero reason to hunt in Dragon now unless I'm being lazy.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sarathai Bard is actually starting to appeal to me the more I read about it, and the hunting seems pretty good too, but what utility does it offer?  I actually like the sound of serpent aside from the squishiness factor.  I would rather have less utility and be less squishy.  Runewarden does sound good overall, but my personality doesn't lend itself easily to the soldier mindset (I know the character and person can be distinct, but I find that boundary blurry sometimes).  What about hunting in groups?  Is there a difference from solo?  What is sought in that dynamic. Also, sylvan sounds pretty interesting too at least I really like the sound of weatherweaving and groves but viridian I dunno I can see how it would really fit my wants from a coding standpoint, but I just imagine myself as a giant dandelion with claws for some reason haha.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Bard is good for a lot of reasons, but I think it seems complicated and a hassle to make all its many threads come together. I'm a veteran combatant, used to precise limb counting and managing venoms, and I'm pretty decent with scripting, but Bard's need to handle different tunesmithing/venoms/limb targets/song selections on each combo, plus balance/voice balance being at different intervals, plus having to track affs because you're primarily an affliction/locking class, gives me a headache just trying to think about how I'd manage it all. (And having to summon Harmonics in every room while hunting would annoy me, personally.)

Also, it seems pretty fragile. You wear leather armour and prayers; Aria can boost your health some, but I don't know how effective Tune is. No doubt about Bard's impressive offensive capability and flexibility, but the people I see singing Bard's praises the loudest have tended to be artefacted enough that damage is no longer a concern for them. Non-artefacted Bards, in my experience, tend to get eaten alive pretty easily.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Bard's not that complicated, the only difficulty is mainly a scripting/aliasing/whatever one of voice balance being independent of jab. There's only four tunesmithings, after all, so it's not like that's going to suddenly make it much more difficult than other aff+limb classes.

I'm not saying it's an easy class or anything, but overstating its difficulty might drive someone away from a pretty cool looking class.
  • edited October 2015
    Thank you everyone for the comments so far.  I think right now I am conflicted between choosing Sylvan and Magi.  I really think Runewarden fits well too, but being strength based it doesn't seem to work with what I would like long term (a class I can invest in over the long term [read rl years] and use the same artifacts for other classes I am interested in) which I only mention in case I am being too narrowly focused on this point instead of seeing the big picture.  So in terms of Sylvan vs Magi, I am wondering about several points:

1.  Can someone do a pro/con on the two classes?  From my understanding Sylvan is tankier (viridian, armor, barkskin vs diamondskin) and has more utility with groves (grove return, bees(?), grove portals, rezz) , however it has less hindrance than Magi (walls, freeze) less opportunities to use holos (? I have a dream of being like a zepplin dropping holos from above haha).

2.  From a raid standpoint what are the strengths/weaknesses of each in raid offense/defense?

3.  (Eleusians only) Which do you think would synergize best for Eleusis from a tactical/strategic point of view? 
  • edited October 2015
    Arahaelon said:
    Thank you everyone for the comments so far.  I think right now I am conflicted between choosing Sylvan and Magi.  I really think Runewarden fits well too, but being strength based it doesn't seem to work with what I would like long term (a class I can invest in over the long term [read rl years] and use the same artifacts for other classes I am interested in) which I only mention in case I am being too narrowly focused on this point instead of seeing the big picture.  So in terms of Sylvan vs Magi, I am wondering about several points:

1.  Can someone do a pro/con on the two classes?  From my understanding Sylvan is tankier (viridian, armor, barkskin vs diamondskin) and has more utility with groves (grove return, bees(?), grove portals, rezz) , however it has less hindrance than Magi (walls, freeze) less opportunities to use holos (? I have a dream of being like a zepplin dropping holos from above haha).

2.  From a raid standpoint what are the strengths/weaknesses of each in raid offense/defense?

3.  (Eleusians only) Which do you think would synergize best for Eleusis from a tactical/strategic point of view? 
    1. Sylvan has much more hindrance than magi. Walls are irrelevant since you can just get the enchantment. Freeze ground is fair, but sylvan has overgrowth which is better afaik. Sylvan definitely has more utility, but magi has some good utility too, it's just really hard to measure up to grove classes there. In 1v1 combat they're both pretty capable I'm pretty sure. For bashing sylvan probably has an edge.

2. Sylvan has the superior ranged capacities in a raid because of lightning. They can also assist allies a lot more with vigour/cure/gates/rezzes etc. Magi have destabilize adduction, though, which is one of the strongest abilities in the game. They also have cataclysm but you need another mage (or two?) for that. In melee, I'd say sylvan has the slight edge simply because they can do a lot of things at once.

3. You can never have too many sylvans, but we have a lot more sylvans than mages. Mages are pretty sought-after because of adduction and cataclysm, but either class would likely be welcome in a raid. Mage would be more unique, if that matters to you.