Has educational level effected your gameplay?

Comments

• Not in the sense of direct application, except for that one time someone talked about the propagation of the Light and I started talking about PDEs. I would definitely say that being well-educated has had an effect on my Achaean play, since I focused on the logical proofs part of mathematics. Being well-read and somewhat well-travelled helps, too. When all information is transmitted through text, language usage needs to be polished to effectively facilitate communication.

My typing got slower because of Achaea, though.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited October 2015
    The number of college-level English instructors and professors playing Achaea at one point was staggering (in a good way). It could have been a panel at a national conference on fantasty lit, honestly! It felt like I was asking "What college/uni do you teach at?" more than anything else a few years ago. Not everyone in that category still plays, but when we all did...man, the roleplay was amazing. Such, good, good story lines and creative ideas for events, denizens, etc. came out of that group of folks!
  • Also on my phone and I don't know why there is a random though in the beginning of that sentence. I guess I face rolled.

• edited October 2015
    I never went to college at all. As easily distracted as I am, I was worried that even if I got a grant, I'd not be able to finish getting any diploma because if I lose interest, that's it. Cannot continue the coursework.

I've mentioned before that I've been frustrated before by the fact I can't do anything IC that I can't do OOC. I don't know what a word means, but my character should? Guess what, I don't.

Yes, I'll look it up later. But if I look it up right away, that's me not paying attention to the conversation right then. I don't feel that this is okay.

Edit: I am way too used to having to italicise in plain text.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • When I saw the topic the other day I passed by it thinking "no of course not!" Then I realized that if anyone who's taken an education course in college looked at the knowledge requirements for the Savants they'd probably know an education major wrote them. If anything I think my education has allowed me to perform Arie's role of teacher better, but one would hope that's what a (very soon in hand) degree in special education would do! (Come on May!)
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    For me, it's just age and life experience, not education. So now y'all know why I'm so immature ;)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I guess yes, in that I don't play very regularly anymore.

Achaea was mostly a college pastime for me. Now that I'm away from that routine my hobbies have broadened and take me away from the computer more often.
  • I have a GED, and I'm still playing, I'm not stupid. Far from it in fact, I just couldn't stand school, that said however I'm currently in school and working to become a Server Tech/IT guy. I guess what it boils down to, is that ever since I started playing Achaea and started scripting, I've actually been enjoying writing in lua as well as other computer languages to make things and what have you.
  • Synest said:
    I have a GED, and I'm still playing, I'm not stupid. Far from it in fact, I just couldn't stand school, that said however I'm currently in school and working to become a Server Tech/IT guy. I guess what it boils down to, is that ever since I started playing Achaea and started scripting, I've actually been enjoying writing in lua as well as other computer languages to make things and what have you.
    It is much, MUCH harder to improve something you're horrible at and know it, than it is to improve something you find easier. I'm glad playing here has helped you in this way.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • Excellent. This has been a good discussion feel free to continue I just thought it was an interesting idea that we've not explored much lately.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • edited November 2015
    I have a bachelors in history and am currently in an engineering program to fit my rather radical life direction change just before I came back to Achaea.  I'm not sure if either helps really, I have little fantasy creativity, I tend to expend most of my ingenuity at work, though I'm not sure if it's a finite resource or I'm just lazy. I've little interest or time to work up fanciful back stories, deep rp trains with people and other stuff, I'm lucky if I can log in enough to get the gold to replace my decaying clothes. 

So...yes but more like it sets parameters on my gameplay.  Maybe someday I'll see @Kasya and @Rohai again
  • I have an Assoicate's Degree in General Technology;however, I am currently pursing my Bachelor's degree in English Writing. I would say that it's not necessarily the education level that affects the gameplay. I have noticed certain courses that I have taken to actually assist with some features of Achaea. Such as different English writing and literature courses. 

On the other hand, like a two edged sword, I have noticed attributes in Achaea that have actually assisted and prepared me for classes. I suppose that comes with scribing so many different help files, posts, rituals, sermons, and so on. 

I don't think it's just educational level, but different influences as well, such as what type of books an individual is currently reading. 

• I barely passed year 12 suckers! but in all fairness I have a bachelors in IT, and accepted for Nursing/paramedical with the chance of pushing into doctorate of medicine. But no, when I Was in year 9 I loved achaea too. my level of education has nothing to do with it
  • Well, that philosophy and chemistry class I took once did help my alchemy a bit. But beyond that, it's mostly a matter of being well read and having experience in roleplaying that's the biggest factor, I think.
  • I have a degree in mathematics and minors in french/chemistry. I don't think education affected my gameplay because nothing I've learnt is relevant(especially coding-wise sadface) and I generally think that delving too deeply into philosophy is a chore/fruitless. I retain a general disinterest of arguing at length about subjective topics that are entirely opinion-based and have no clear answers with other players.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Tvistor said:
    Philosophy (I took a few units) made it harder for me to roleplay when I worked out that all our characters are being even more irrational than I first thought in regards to theology. Most of the major conflicts occur between fanatical organizations, and it's just impossible for me to empathize with the type of person that can hit that level of insanity.
    I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head for why I finally had to change. I find it hard to roleplay with things I have little to no practical understanding on. So roleplay on fanaticism really doesn't work for me.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • edited November 2015
    I have a BA in English and am working on turning it into an MFA. I also have done all but ~3 credit hours' worth of the classwork needed to get a BA in Creative Writing; I decided I'd go with literature critique over literature creation.
    In simpler terms, RACE SPECIALIZE AS PRETENTIOUS KNOWITALL rather than RACE SPECIALIZE AS BREEZY POETIC.

I also have an associate's degree in East Asian studies(which was basically given to me for completing my university's Chinese language and culture program) and a TESOL license for dat job security, since my postgrad plans are to teach abroad (having been influenced by teaching English in China for the summer of 2012).

I feel like this has influenced my playstyle a lot since the halcyon 2006 days of Dor the Personalityless priest, Kibas the Cold, Aloof, and Hollow Shaman, and the utterly cringeworthy Kairuto the monk who swore up and down that he'd become the Overseer of Ashtan, believe it!   I hesitate to list any that are more modern than Kairuto because I fear that they may be remembered by some. After Kairuto came my first "serious" character; that is, the first of many that can still be looked up in HONOURS to this day.

I really hope these characters have been forgotten because my adolescence was not happy and Achaea was my horribly bungled escape for a while. I remember who all of my characters were from way back when since anytime I'd make a new one they'd find a place in my world-spanning Epic Achaean Fanfiction that I was writing at the time. (Characters who went from "main" to "alt" generally found themselves getting killed off and supplanted.) Since I didn't have consistent Internet access then, I'd just make Sapience on my own if I couldn't play in it.

I'd like to think that my characters are no longer cookie-cutter, level-grinding gimmick-toters and instead are characters who have interesting quirks, believable backstories and feel more genuine. The East Asian influence shone through the most in Katsuragi, my current character(s) are a bit less...ethnic.

Perhaps the greatest contribution that my literature studies have made to my Achaean playing is that I now know that "[Your] fate and fame shall be/An echo and a light unto eternity." was lifted directly from this poem. There are actually quite a few literature references tossed around in Achaea; it comes as no surprise, really.

I have 150 Lusternian credits that I'll trade over for Achaean ones. Let me know if you're interested!
  • Kakotas said:
    I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head for why I finally had to change. I find it hard to roleplay with things I have little to no practical understanding on. So roleplay on fanaticism really doesn't work for me.
    It's pretty interesting because most (not all) Achaean characters are actually pretty rational when it comes to everything other than expressing fanaticism in their faction. For instance, Targossas holds that killing neutral denizens is okay, which I think all of us would say in real life is pretty immoral. But a lot of things are handwaved as Deucalion/Aurora/Sartan said it's so,  and thus it must be so. That kind of claim is vulnerable to the normal responses to Divine Command Theory, but in all the years I've played, I've never seen the counter-arguments presented in the public sphere. I think it's because it would just utterly deflate the reason for the constant war and disagreement (plus the person proposing them would be hit by lightning). Either way, once you're aware of these things, I think it's really difficult to continue to roleplay without feeling extremely distant from your character.
  • I agree that fanaticism makes it very hard to have intelligent, meaningful conversations with enemies that feel like something's accomplished (the same way that nearly-no-consequence-PvP means you can't really ever 'beat' someone), but!

A lot of this stems from not really knowing much about opposing factions and making assumptions that flat out kill the nuances of others' theology.

For instance, in Targossas, it's not 'okay' to kill neutrals- you're supposed to have a reason for killing them. Some people don't really bother, and just bash places cuz it's easier textp. Similarly, the 'cuz X said so' argument is pretty much in the same vein. It's just lazy reasoning and bad roleplay (the best players in each faction actually have -reasons- for doing things); judge factions by the best in their camp, not the worst (and seek out the best, as well!).
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    edited February 2016
    Szanthax said:
    Gameplay effected my educational level...not the other way around
    Yeah... :(

edit: sorry, necro  >:)

• I think my English undergrad influenced things like my roleplay and character design but otherwise, nothing I've learned has impacted what I do in the game at all.  I still talk to the same people, in Cooper's case from like 15 years ago, and it doesn't seem like anything's changed.
    Murad exclaims, "I give you Questing Cats!"
  • My characters after middle school were more successful, as I took the game a little more seriously.

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Hyperlith said:
    Szanthax said:
    Gameplay effected my educational level...not the other way around
    Yeah... :(

edit: sorry, necro  >:)
    Haha