Justifying MUD purchases to non-players

2»

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Tahquil said:
    Just going to say this and people can WTF it or dislike it to there heart's content, but when you feel like you have to hide how much you spend from loved ones, or cringe at the thought of calculating the cost over the years just sit back for a second and take another look at your situation.
    I cringe at how much I spend on food. I should stop buying food.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Spend money on what makes you happy. Don't waste time worrying about how much you've spent on whatever makes you happy - you won't be able to spend it when you're dead. 
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • The problem is when you spend money that puts you into debt. If you can't spend the money (on whatever it is you are buying, not just Achaea) on that luxury without skipping out on credit card payments/rent/food/gas/car/insurance, then don't do it. <_<

• Sohl said:
    Spend money on what makes you happy. Don't waste time worrying about how much you've spent on whatever makes you happy - you won't be able to spend it when you're dead. 

I just want to make people be happy to spend money on the same thing I spend money being happy on.
    And sometimes end sentences in prepositions.

So that's the only reason I bring up justifying it. Cause I'd love to say Achaea is free to play, but you're limited in the fun you can have while everyone else runs around with their Retardation and Catharsis and Radiance. :P
    I'd probably just go the route of telling them about all the stuff and how much they'd normally pay, and then say 'But if you order now, you get the whole set for just $24.99 a month!' a.k.a. Iron Elite was the best thing to happen to the game.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Cooper missed the most important one.
    Internet, man. INTERNET!
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I've bought batches of 300 or 400 creds before and that was when the exchange rate was even worse for me. Having said that, I don't find the current membership fees any different from the fees for a paid membership to anywhere else game or otherwise. Heck, my folks dish out over 100 bucks for country club membership and they hardly ever go. I think I'm getting more for my money given the time I spend on Achaea :/

• I stopped counting how many artefacts I have when I amassed more than 40 of them and this is not including the vials. In fact, I simply say I'm a walking artefact shop and let my friends wonder what I mean.

The funny story I do tell is when I completely forgot I'd already bought a 3rd tier artefact and went and bought it again. I checked, and checked, and checked and I swear I didn't have one of them. Then when I checked I was like, "Damn, I now have two of these." These days, unless it's a shop of wonders item or something that's not obviously useful to my class, I don't even think about buying it...I've already got it.

And yes, I still spend money on Achaea and in my opinion, it's very worth it :)
  • It is discretionary spending which is always going to be difficult to justify to some people.

Cover living expenses, pay your bills, invest in retirement, then spend the rest however the hell you want.
  • Tanris said:
    Cooper missed the most important one.
    Internet, man. INTERNET!
    Haha, would be great spending money on iron elite, and realizing not having money for internet to play while elite is active.
  • edited December 2012
    Avto said:
    Tanris said:
    Cooper missed the most important one.
    Internet, man. INTERNET!
    Haha, would be great spending money on iron elite, and realizing not having money for internet to play while elite is active.

I wouldn't cancel Elite even if I went dormant. Cause you come back to a pile of bound credits to enjoy.

EDIT: And they always come back.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.