Rituals and Achaea

Hi! So it seems I'm approaching house tasks where I need to write and perform a ritual. Seeing that I am in a city that serves nature, how do you go about writing rituals that are purely Achaean? I fear that I might either offend people that are actually Druids in real life or write something unoriginal/boring.

Feel free to give examples of your own rituals, but I'd like to know how religious houses approach this predicament. And how do you make a ritual your own?

Comments

• That seems like something your house should be able to help with. Surely they don't expect you to come up with a ritual on your own without being able to offer some examples or information.
  • There's a ton of books out in the IC world with accounts of rituals or guides to rituals that you can find! If you can't find any, just asking a ritualist would be a good step, that's been my plan.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    edited October 2015
    Rituals are a necessary evil.

Edit: But to be marginally helpful, here's an example I found from the Thyr/Aeris ritual Aodfionn did for the Sylvans. It wound up bbeing more like... a martial arts demonstration, than a ritual, but it counted for the requirements. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aodfionn bows before those gathered, smiling broadly.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Greeting. I call you here to present ritual. But want say some word first."

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says,  "We all Sylvans. We all attune with element, and we is call them by names House give to them. Fontis in common is water. Exurio, fire. Terra, earth. Aeris, air."

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "But I am proud say that we Blademaster have different name. Why? Because they mean different thing to us. To us, element is not tool, but part of being. Blademaster do not use element to heal other, as Sylvan do, or to draw power of elements for make thing, like Magi can. We are warrior, and hunter."

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Some is would think that we use element for fight. This not true. Element use -us- as weapon. We blademaster are vessel - Nature and element are our master - and truest of us move as Nature deem fit."

Aodfionn flashes a toothy smile.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Without more fumble words from I self, this is ritual of Thyr."

Aodfionn growls, closing his eyes and gripping the hilt of his blade more tightly.

Aodfionn draws Conquering Waves from it's sheathe, opening his eyes as a mischevious grin slowly creeps across his face.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu whispers, "All is still."

Aodfionn slowly begins to spin the blade around him, the hilt never losing contact with his hand as the sword slowly cuts through nothingness.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu whispers, "A slight breeze."

Aodfionn grunts as Conquering Waves' begins to move faster and faster as the whir of the blade growls even louder.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Gust."

emote closes his eyes again briefly, before gripping the blade firmly in his hand. The twirling has stopped, and now he begins to spin around with blade outstretched. He narrowly misses several of the audience members as his lumbering build begins to spin faster and faster and faster.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Windstorm!"

Aodfionn lets loose a battle-cry to Lady Artemis, speaking in a language you cannot quite discern. Just as the outstretched blade begins to emit an azure glow, Aodfionn stops spinning and immediately lowers himself in to the Thyr stance. He raises Conquering Waves high above his head.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu roars, "HURRICANE!"

Aodfionn brings blade down with all of his might. Just as the metal touches the floor, a dangerously powerful burst of wind roars through the chamber, knocking everyone in attendance to the ground. The gale continues as he slowly raises up and slowly sheathes Conquering Waves. For a moment, he remains motionless, silent.

Aodfionn grunts and bows.

Aodfionn smiles softly.

Aodfionn Longshanks, Loaim Kahi Abha Ardu says, "Thank you for come."

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
    God damn I couldn't write for shit. :(
  • Aodfionn said:
    Rituals are a necessary evil.

Writing rituals may be an evil depending on your point of view on writing, but it's definitely not a necessary thing to require anyone to do. 
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    No, @Aodfionn, that was exactly what I was looking for. It felt solely your own, even if you thought the writing was terrible.

My problem I'm having is I'm feeling I have to write something "nature" like, and my limited experience of nature rituals comes from RL sources, which I don't want to copy. But I'm having a hard time finding sources in game as a lot of the forestal books went missing.
    edited October 2015
    Go talk to the Anachaine IG, dude. Specifically, go find @Johlo if you can find him.

Edit: Also, education on ritual is a sad necessity, @Sarapis. For the 5% (probably less) of the game that are in organizations where ritual is a common occurrence (or where, you know, city policy requires it to be done), it's absolutely reasonable to ask that they familiarize themselves with the basic idea behind rituals in the game - same as it's absolutely reasonable to ask folks in the PK houses to learn how to PK. 

Should everyone (even in these orgs) be forced to come up with their own? Probably not, but I can see good arguments as to why certain orgs might be inclined to feel differently. 

• Aodfionn said:
    Go talk to the Anachaine IG, dude. Specifically, go find @Johlo if you can find him.

Edit: Also, education on ritual is a sad necessity, @Sarapis. For the 5% (probably less) of the game that are in organizations where ritual is a common occurrence (or where, you know, city policy requires it to be done), it's absolutely reasonable to ask that they familiarize themselves with the basic idea behind rituals in the game - same as it's absolutely reasonable to ask folks in the PK houses to learn how to PK. 

Should everyone (even in these orgs) be forced to come up with their own? Probably not, but I can see good arguments as to why certain orgs might be inclined to feel differently. 

Reasonable and necessary are different things though, and familiarizing yourself with the basic idea behind rituals and forcing people to write their own are also equally different things.

• The requirements of the two Eleusis houses seem pretty disparate in how reasonable they are. One of them seems to have carried on the old forestal guild tradition of endless busywork which is a shame.
  • If it's the task I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure it's not required per se. There's a couple of lists that you pick stuff from, and a ritual is one of several options you can choose. If you don't want to do one, then you just pick something else instead. I think it recommends working with the guy in charge of rituals (Comitis, at the moment) if you need/want help.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Jeslyn said:
     I fear that I might either offend people that are actually Druids in real life 

Srsly

• Jeslyn said:
     I fear that I might either offend people that are actually Druids in real life 

Srsly
    Are you mocking someone not wanting to offend someone's RL religion?
  • Yeah. 
    It's generally considered a good practice, tbh. The odd one out here is more likely you.
  • Oh OK. But honestly I wouldn't worry about it. If someone wants to get butt hurt because yout interperated their obscure religion wrong in a text game, I'm sure they'll be the kind of people to get offended at almost anything. I wouldn't change my rituals in my order requirements just because it might offend someone that is (insert group here). In the end, they're your rp opportunities, not theirs. 

• Kiet said:
    Yeah. 
    It's generally considered a good practice, tbh. The odd one out here is more likely you.
    Is an interesting question. Broadly, the games entire existence is offensive to a good number of religious people though, so offending a few more isn't going to be a big deal on a realistic level. We've had plenty of complaints over the year from people (usually Christians) who think that having multiple Gods, or in fact any god that isn't Yahweh, is evil, or who are offended by our use of the occult, or who think it's wrong to allow same-sex marriage, or to treat women equally.

And besides, a real-life "Druid" is about as much like our Druids as someone playing with a ouija board is like our Occultists. 
  • Sarapis said:
    Kiet said:
    Yeah. 
    Is an interesting question. Broadly, the games entire existence is offensive to a good number of religious people though, so offending a few more isn't going to be a big deal on a realistic level. We've had plenty of complaints over the year from people (usually Christians) who think that having multiple Gods, or in fact any god that isn't Yahweh, is evil, or who are offended by our use of the occult, or who think it's wrong to allow same-sex marriage, or to treat women equally.

And besides, a real-life "Druid" is about as much like our Druids as someone playing with a ouija board is like our Occultists. 
    Sure, it's hard not to offend some religions given the game's lore. But someone trying their best to not offend people is not a very good reason to mock them, is it?

You're right that a real life druid isn't a lot like our druids, but you can't blame someone for being careful.
  • So you're telling me the dudes I saw praying to stonehenge can't metamorph into ice wyrms?

• Man people care way too much about offending everyone. What's the fun on walking on eggshells? If you do offend someone you can apologize but why censor yourself or stifle your creativity based on that fear? 

• Your rights end where my feelings begin!  But that's straying from the topic. I find the best stuff comes when you aren't thinking about how others will react and just do things that feel best to you. Do what your character would do and if someone doesn't like it they can go away and do something else or rp with someone different. 

edited October 2015
    I think my original intent of this whole discussion was to learn how the religious houses are making things like rituals their own. It is very easy to fall into carbon copies of RL instead of fantasy when dealing with religions. If I was particularly lazy, I could easily just copy a ritual out of ADF, change some wording around, and the bam...task is done. But that wouldn't be as unique as @aodfionn's ritual.

I literally had to fight this every day as a priestess, because for some reason there were people equalling it to Christianity. :( But that is a whole nother can of worms.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited October 2015
    Well, this topic has gone off a bit, but some very very general advice I learned doing rituals with Neraeos and the Order:

Absolutely feel free to take creative licence and go with it. From my memory of Nature-related rituals, no one is going to be offended if you decide you like something in particular and want to expand on it, so long as you follow general canon (and if they are, they're probably not worth your time). For instance, summoning a forest spirit for their guidance might not really pass.

I imagine you'll want to start at the bottom with simple, and perhaps slightly less impressive things (your character is new to rituals too, after all!). But if you find you like it and want to expand further, it would not at all be difficult to build up to something more entertaining. Generally, researching your lore is going to be your best inspiration. See if you can find something of need that needs to be done, or a really cool piece of lore that makes you want to explore. I always really wanted to explore the wisps that you see floating through Eleusis, for instance (but never got the chance).

I have only ever created one ritual from scratch that was 100% new and never done in any shape or form, and it was to bless daggers used in the very main rituals (bull sacrifices) that Pelagia was responsible for. It was one of the last major projects I did before stuff. I don't have it directly on-hand, but if you're interested in reviewing it, Jeslyn, I'll try and dig it up to PM you with.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited October 2015
    Hate to double post but an important point...

If you do have a main ritualist in Eleusis to speak with, make sure to do it to see if there's any real big do-not-ever-do-this things. For instance, the Order was told while it was possible, summoning one of the main sea spirits was positively dangerous and should never be done except in the most extreme of emergencies. Like, dire, dire tidings.

In Mhaldor, there's a few particular rules (since the Inferno is often involved, rules here a bit more strict), such as drawing a pentagram in a certain way and never in other ways, otherwise it leads to disaster. See @Hasar and trying to do a binding of Morimbuul (which is a regular ritual in Mhaldor, though the ritual was different than usual obviously) that ends up summoning a great vicious mass that ends up destroying all four of our old Houses. :grin: 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Also, tagging @Comitis to this thread since I don't think it's been done yet, just in case he reads the forums. He'd be the primary person to talk to first IG, since he's the main ritualist and Anachaine all rolled up in one.

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited October 2015
    I've only done one ritual in this game, which I spent about a week researching, two days writing, and then another revising with Bahtell. I can say that my ritual is a cross between Buddhism and Hinduism with a lot of emphasis on fire, but rewritten for a fantasy world. It's quite short, but hopefully helps?

--- Centre of Silverbright Square  36:0:0 --- The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. There are 2 Riverwall bow-maidens here. Graceful arcs of water stream from an immense fountain, in the centre of which is poised an alabaster angel.  

You see Tristyn.

She is wearing:  a strand of Targossian prayer beads a blue crystal brooch a simple silver necklace a hooded cloak of icy hues with the hood raised a flowing white dress an ecclesiastical cobalt sash and heeled sandals of silver.  

Lowering the hood of her cloak, Tristyn shakes out her beaded braids as she stands before her small makeshift altar she prepared earlier. Her solemn, grey eyes scan the general area, not looking at anyone one person in particular. A faint smile flits across her lips.

You carefully lower the hood on a hooded cloak of icy hues.

You say cordially, "Salutations, brethren. It brings me abundant joy to see you assembled here during a tumotulous time. You may stand, sit, or kneel at your discretion. Let us begin."

Tristyn sinks down into a knelt position before a pyramidal copper bowl. On either side of the basin are several smaller tin bowls containing daisy petals, spikes of wheat, incense powder, and ashes. Placed to her right is a bundle of wood and a candle.

Gathering a sandalwood bundle, Tristyn lowers it into the basin bowl before producing a vial of oil from her pocket.

Tristyn presses her hands together in a worshipful manner with the vial carefully balanced between her fingers.

You say solemnly, "We are gathered here today to reflect, to let go, and to recommit."

You say solemnly, "But before we journey on, let us consecrate this time together."

Bending her head down humbly, Tristyn begins to recite her blessing, "Hail to our holy divine, Lady Aurora and Lord Deucalion. May you guide your devoted through this time of reflection and sacrifice, and may our hearts be opened for change."

Tristyn raises her eyes to meet the audience, with a resolute expression, and delicately tips the vial of oil over to douse the wood before pocketing it once again.

Taking a wax candle from the ground, Tristyn lights it with a tinderbox and presents it to the spectators, "With the flame of this candle, representing truth replacing ignorance, the time of sacrifice will have commenced."

You say gravely, "As I speak the next four lines, I would like for each of you to speak the words -May our commitments never falter- after them. With each line, I will subsequently place the offering into the fire."

Tristyn stretches her hand out over the copper basin and lights the sandalwood pyre with the candle. She snuffs the candle with the tips of her fingers and sets it to the side.

As the flame arises to consume the kindling, Tristyn takes the bowl of daisy petals in her hands. She raises it up towards the heavens as her countenance is overcome with reverence.

You chant reverentially, "Unto the Fire, we offer the symbol of innocence in tribute to that which we are to protect."

<Chanting from crowd, @Aodfionn doesn't keep up very well... I was certain he was sleeping>

Tristyn empties the pastel petals into the fire. They slowly curl into themselves before dispersing.

Tristyn deftly picks up the bowl of wheat and lifts it up between her two hands in brief supplication.

You chant passionately, "Unto the light, we offer the symbol of flourishing in reflection of the perfect state of Creation."

<chants>

Tristyn pours the bowl into the fire as her grey eyes reflect the flames that are gradually intensifying. 

Tristyn picks up a darkened bowl of ashes and sets her mouth into a grim line. She holds it steadily above the blaze.

You chant heatedly, "Unto the fire, we offer the symbol of sorrow in recollection of the wrongs committed against Creation."

<more chants>

Throwing the ashes into the fire, Tristyn picks up a final bowl filled with incense. Her hand dips itself into the bowl as the powder easily slips out in between the cracks in her fingers.

You chant spiritedly, "Unto the light, we offer the symbol of purification in honor of the actions done to right those wrongs."

<half dozen chants>

Tristyn lowers the incense into the fire causing smoke to surge from the slow burning flame. She takes a minute to allow the fragrance from the incense to waft around her.

You say in a quiet voice, "As we close this time together, let us recognize the importance of our duties no matter how small they are."

You say loudly, "Please grant us, Lightbringer and Righteous fire, the nature of perseverance. May our commitments never falter."

Grabbing a heavy lid that was set aside, Tristyn places it over the fire effectively smothering the flames and sending more smoke to billow out into her surroundings.

Tristyn bows her head in conclusion, her wild appearance marginally masked by the haze, "Amen." 

Setting her implements away, Tristyn steadily rises from her knelt position and deferentially bows to her viewers. "My sincerest thanks for your attendance. May light and fire always guide your steps."
    Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited October 2015
    Mhaldor's example of a ritual:

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/1389/mhaldors-moonstone-ritual

Also, @Aodfionn, when your ritual included HURRICANE followed by whirlwinds spinning into the audience in the room, I'm ashamed to say I thought of Yasuo from Leagues. Kek.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Thank you to everyone that sent examples, journals, etc to me these past few hours. It's really helpful to see all of the creativity!