Calling all South Africans

AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
Anyone, finding themselves in Cape Town over the festive season, feel like meeting up?

If there's interest, I'm willing to host at my house.

We can have a braai and lie to each other about how great our internet connections are. :D

Comments

• I'm going to be in East London I'm afraid. :frown: 
  • AitoxAitox South Africa
    I'll be in Cape Town at the start of February with Reine. CT during the festive season is a fucking nightmare; queues everywhere and traffic is at a constant standstill. We can meet up in Feb, if you like. +1 to braai.
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    Feb sounds good!
  • One of you fuckers needs to send me some ballin' biltong and droewers.

Well, you could always come over for some.
  • Trey said:
    One of you fuckers needs to send me some ballin' biltong and droewers.
    I actually managed to get some passed customs to @Quisse, had to vacuum pack it and double bag it with vanilla essence. :chuffed: 

If US Customs are reading this, haha, joke, that never happened.
    @ US Customs: And I'll make sure never to use the same trick. Promise.

@Trey I am eating Droewors ... RIGHT NOW! Let me feel those waves of HATE! :D:D:D
  • Ha, was mostly joking. There is a company called Mile High Dry Goods that makes them in the US, I've just always wondered if it was 'authentic'.

I would pay to hear you say "droëwors", @Trey :pleased: 
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Tibitha said:
    I'm going to be in Tennessee visiting my favorite Kasya. :) 
    ftfy
  • Aitox said:
    I would pay to hear you say "droëwors", @Trey :pleased: 
    I could! I've heard it pronounced by an Afrikaner before though, so it'd be cheating.

• The goods I may or may not have received were exceptionally delicious and entertaining both. @Tibitha rocks  my socks.  ;)
  • I tried selling the idea of droewors and Biltong to @Kayeil the other day, I think i may have failed miserably...She fainted  

• What's not to love about coriander, peri-peri and beef?

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Biltong is the most amazing thing ever. It's pretty much all I ate during the two months I spent in South Africa.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I never tried jerky when i was in the states, but it looked..different

There is a huge difference between jerky and biltong.

Making biltong preserves the moisture in the meat for longer.

Proper biltong is made over a period of days, with a slow drying process. While jerky is made in a matter of hours, with some form of fast drying and/or dehydration mechanism.

In the last few years, people have have been selling jerky here, while calling it Biltong. As a rule though, if it's less than an inch in with when packed, it's jerky, not biltong. If it has a rind of fat on it, it's beef biltong. If it's more than an inch in width and does not have a rind of fat on it, it could be either beef or kudu biltong. Springbok biltong is almost impossible to find if you don't make it yourself, so be weary of anyone claiming to sell Springbok biltong in anything other than a Biltong speciality shop.

My $0,02 :D
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Back when I lived in Queensland before I moved, my father used to make Biltong in a spare room of the house. Used to have meat hanging up for ages and I was always impatient to eat it because it took so long.

While jerky can be nice, biltong is where it's at. It's a pity that it's way too humid to make it where I currently live.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

edited October 2015
    I've had almost every imaginable biltong there is. Shark, warthog, crocodile, kudu, springbok, gemsbok, ostrich, etc. Kudu is my personal favourite, but it's all in the seasoning really. Never tasted jerky, not sure I want to. I'm also trying to explain to Reine that a true South African "braai" is nothing, nothing like an American barbecue.