Magic: The Gathering

13»

Comments

• I love CCGs, but never got into MTG. 

I play a ton of Hearthstone, though.

• All I see is a griefy red pain deck with no anti-mill, no control, and only one win-condition, that's easily prevented.

That'd probably fly in standard now though - which is part of why I don't enjoy it.
  • edited June 2014
    I ended up selling my entire collection, and I had a lot of favorite decks, but my favorite has always been my legacy rezz deck. Nothing beats the look on someone's face when you drop a first turn Iona or 3 dragons. I was also proud of my Erayo deck, which had something around 30% first turn win rate.
  • WeiWei Monterey, California
    Ernam said:
    I ended up selling my entire collection, and I had a lot of favorite decks, but my favorite has always been my legacy rezz deck. Nothing beats the look on someone's face when you drop a first turn Iona or 3 dragons. I was also proud of my Erayo deck, which had something around 30% first turn win rate.

And this is why I don't play Vintage or Legacy anymore.

• 2nd turn poison rush decks were just standard last year, and were just as griefy, without moxes.

• Ernam said:
    All I see is a griefy red pain deck with no anti-mill, no control, and only one win-condition, that's easily prevented.

That'd probably fly in standard now though - which is part of why I don't enjoy it.

Chill dude. I didn't say it was the deck to beat all decks, I just said it was my most fun to play with while being extremely cost effective, considering the average price of decks you get people running around with now. It's definitely not exceptional.

If you want to look at a deck I take more seriously, look at the one above it. That's totally welcome to critique and I'd enjoy it in fact.

• Sorry @Jovolo, I have an irrational bias against mono-red.  I think it's because it was my brother's favorite, and he absolutely loved building a deck full of nothing but mountains and burn spells.  I've always despised the ability for mono-red to "work" without any real synergy.  As lame as the ubiquitous "elf deck" was, at least it required some thought and development.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Anyone playing the MTG Online version, by chance?

• I just realized this was here! I still play pretty regularly, though no tournament play. My decks haven't been standard in years, but they are too good to give up. I have a Blue/White Shroud/Control deck based around an Elspeth Planeswalker, and a Black Vamp deck built around a Vampire Nighthawk(2/3 Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink). I do a lot of Skype matches with my brother, and try and host a Magic night a couple times a month when time allows.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
    Do you use the online client by chance?

• I honestly didn't know there was an online client. I'll look into it.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
    It's $10, but you get pretty much a starter kit and a couple of booster packs. You can either buy new packs from the store or win them in tournaments. Really fun way to experiment with different deck types or play with friends who aren't close enough for a face to face match. It updates each time the latest expansion comes out as well, so Battle of Zenkindar (I think it's called) is on there. They're actually having a big tournament sometime this month for the release.