Comic Books, Magic The Gathering, Heroclix, D&D, Gaming...what is your non-achaean Nerd Vice?

With the mass number of people that play Achaea, I always like to hear about other people's interests and hobbies. Do you consider yourself a Nerd, or a Geek? Do you play Table-Top Games? Do you play Card games? Or other Video games? What comics do you like to read?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor

Comments

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    edited October 2015
    Comics... I've collected amazing spiderman since i was like 10.

I now have like 9000 digital comics on my computer and read them daily on my phone through the app called comicrack. I also enjoy reading regular books too. 

I only play Madden on my PS4... and obviously i'd rather play Achaea. lol

Currently I'm working on reading the full run of AMS, X-Men and Avengers. Eventually I get to the current stuff (at 1998 right now... so...) and starting buying the new ones. 

• Szanthax said:

I now have like 9000 digital comics on my computer and read them daily on my phone through the app called comicrack. I also enjoy reading regular books too. 

Currently I'm working on reading the full run of AMS, X-Men and Avengers. Eventually I get to the current stuff (at 1998 right now... so...) and starting buying the new ones. 

I use ComixOlogy, and Marvel comics. I've been reading since I was about 13, my first ever was Days of Future Past. Still one of my favorite Arcs today. I've been closely following the new Secret Wars, much better than I thought it would be.
  • Kondar said:
    Szanthax said:

I use ComixOlogy, and Marvel comics. I've been reading since I was about 13, my first ever was Days of Future Past. Still one of my favorite Arcs today. I've been closely following the new Secret Wars, much better than I thought it would be.
    My first comic that I remember reading is Spider-Man 17 death of spiderman at the hand of thanos. it tied to the infinity gauntlet storyline. I just remember going back and reading that one over and over again. I love the X-Men comics of the 90's and now I friggin love them more than any of my other comics. Future Past was cool but when  Iwas reading the books in sequence I was surprised because it just kinda jumped into it with no lead in :chuffed: 

• Szanthax said:
    Kondar said:
    Szanthax said:

My first comic that I remember reading is Spider-Man 17 death of spiderman at the hand of thanos. it tied to the infinity gauntlet storyline. I just remember going back and reading that one over and over again. I love the X-Men comics of the 90's and now I friggin love them more than any of my other comics. Future Past was cool but when  Iwas reading the books in sequence I was surprised because it just kinda jumped into it with no lead in :chuffed: 

Oh it absolutely did, but once you got to reading it, and getting involved into the story it all meshed very well. Lately I've been on an Exiles, and Runaways kick, along with Invincible.
  • Kondar said:
    Szanthax said:
    Kondar said:
    Szanthax said:

Oh it absolutely did, but once you got to reading it, and getting involved into the story it all meshed very well. Lately I've been on an Exiles, and Runaways kick, along with Invincible.
    for sure. I love how the story continued AFTER the actual story line. Like... uh... did this all really happen? type of feeling. Very cool. I just love the dark and gritty nature of the xmen story lines. I just never realized that when I was younger khaha

• Board games, collecting vinyl, reading French books/graphic novels (I just ordered Transperceneige [Snowpiercer] today!), watching subbed anime / learning Japanese, programming for fun.
  • Big FASA lover here...Battletech and Shadowrun both tabletop about 20 years ago.  Now I play Mechwarrior Online...and enjoyed the hare brained version of Shadowrun returns.  Also a big Killer Bunnies fan.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I love gaming in general, but I have a really special place in my heart for story-driven games, to the point I plan on going to college to eventually push myself into a career based around being one of the main writers/scriptwriters/etc for a company one day.

So I'll often either be trying to play random games that seem to have the type of flavor I want to develop myself and try to study what it does right/wrong, or if I can't play the game myself (The Last of Us on PS3/4 is a good example here) I'll either watch a "movie" on youtube of it and/or watch someone else play/comment on it.

Books? Love books. Fantasy/historical fiction most of all. Also romance. I need to start reading more again.

Choir. Not that I do it much right now, but I will definitely return to it the next opportunity I can.

Baking.

... kind of a weird mix of things, I guess.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I like to build gaming rigs. May not seem that nerdy but I'm also a weightlifter and I'm not typically considered tech savvy. 
  • I have casually played tabletop RPGs like D&D, Warhammer 40k, etc. Also casually played Magic and the MLP trading card game - I love My Little Pony, it's one of my obsessions. I also really dig other tabletop and card games like Cards Against Humanity, Settlers of Catan, etc. I don't own them but I have friends I play with every now and then. Love fantasy and sci-fi books and shows, I fangirl a lot over those. Never really got much into any other computer or video games aside from Achaea, though. 
  • Tabletop and board games, as well as computer games. Strategy & RP are my favourites. I would have to pick Lords of Waterdeep as my current favourite.  I've sadly never played d&d, never had the group for it. One day. On PC I don't play a lot right now, a little hearthstone. Used to be really into guildwars before #2 came out. On tablet I'm fond of converted board games.

• @Aereidhna ... oh yeah and Gamesworkshop...Warhammer is awesome!

• edited October 2015
    Melodie said:
    I love gaming in general, but I have a really special place in my heart for story-driven games, to the point I plan on going to college to eventually push myself into a career based around being one of the main writers/scriptwriters/etc for a company one day.

So I'll often either be trying to play random games that seem to have the type of flavor I want to develop myself and try to study what it does right/wrong, or if I can't play the game myself (The Last of Us on PS3/4 is a good example here) I'll either watch a "movie" on youtube of it and/or watch someone else play/comment on it.

Books? Love books. Fantasy/historical fiction most of all. Also romance. I need to start reading more again.

Choir. Not that I do it much right now, but I will definitely return to it the next opportunity I can.

Baking.

... kind of a weird mix of things, I guess.

Have you tried games like The Wolf Among Us and Life is Strange?

Really good story games.

Edit: Thought I'd add some input on the thread too...

I love D&D and other roleplaying games. I just have lots of trouble finding people to play with. Really wanting to get into Star Wars Edge of the Empire etc.

Otherwise, computer games and board games. I play boardgames almost every weekend.
  • I keep meaning to try Hearthstone. I really need to try Hearthstone. :D
  • Hunting, weightlifting, photography, kayaking, backpacking, woodworking.  Achaea is probably the "nerdiest" thing I do. I used to play a lot of video games growing up and I've dabbled with Pathfinder but haven't played in years, I got into minecraft for a little while last year. I bought an Xbox One and played a couple games for about two months then got bored, I go through spurts and then lose interest.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited October 2015
    Jukilian said:

Really good story games.
    I am actually about to start the fourth episode of Life is Strange, yes! Health issues just took a bit of a hit on me lately, so been a little out of it. I really really love it so far, it's a really interesting game and it consistently reminds me GO TO COLLEGE ALREADY GOSH.

I have not done the first, but thanks for the recommendation, I will have to check it out. :chuffed: 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    A relatively new one is MTG, which I got introduced to by a group of friends who have been playing. One of them has all these vintage cards, having picked it up in the Navy where there was little else to do on a boat most of the time.

• Melodie said:
    Jukilian said:

Really good story games.
    I am actually about to start the fourth episode of Life is Strange, yes! Health issues just took a bit of a hit on me lately, so been a little out of it. I really really love it so far, it's a really interesting game and it consistently reminds me GO TO COLLEGE ALREADY GOSH.

I have not done the first, but thanks for the recommendation, I will have to check it out. :chuffed: 
    The Wolf Among Us is one of the games by Telltale Games. Others are the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands.

The Wolf Among Us follows Bigby Wolf (the bug bad wolf) who has become the sheriff of a community of Fables in an area in... Manhattan, I think?

It's my favourite from Telltale so farfar.

As for Life is Strange, I am (im)patiently waiting for the final episode... Amazing game is amazing
  • I've been DMing my homebrew campaign setting in D&D for about a decade now. Mostly 2nd edition, but I've run it in everything but Basic. I made the switch to 5th when it came out, and I've been very happy with it so far.
  • I like game art books.

Also, remember when you use to buy game catridges or discs and they would come with a user manual with beautiful art and tips on how to play? If it had major characters it would give a little bio and all that... I love those, I would love to collect these if I knew how to find them. But these days I open a new disc and .. it's just a disc. So disappointing. I ask the people at EB Games is a game comes with a user manual and it factors heavily into whether or not I buy a game.

That's probably the nerdiest thing I do.
  • edited October 2015
    Have played a lot of tabletop and PC games over the years. Current lineup RPG-wise is Apocalypse World (awesome post-apocalyptic shenanigans), 5e, and a Mage the Awakening Game (though that's gone on indefinite hiatus). We're also slated to try the teaser of the Infinity RPG that's just been kickstarted.

Current PC games are Evolve, Pay Day 2, Nazi Zombie Army Trilogy, Armello, Wild Star and Dragon Age 2. 

Haven't really played a boardgame in ages. Last one was Lords of Waterdeep, but I have been fairly active in the Android Netrunner LCG. It's an awesome LCG set in FFG's Android universe with an updated version of Netrunner. The game was originally designed by the guy who made MTG and it's delightfully simple and complex at the same time with skill and luck both playing an important role. 

I'm also big on books. Been rereading Discworld recently. Have a deep love for "trashy" sci-fi and fantasy stories like the Dresden Files and the Matthew Swift Series. 
  • My wife calls me a "universal nerd", I can hold my own in most conversations. I am an avid comic book reader(do the degree that my wife won't allow me into a comic book store unless she is there with me...I'd probably spend ALL of our money), been reading them for about 16 years (since I was 13). I actively play MTG, and Heroclix. I am also a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan, to the point of obsession.(I really enjoy almost any Texas Sports team. I follow the Mavericks and Spurs, the Stars, The Astros, and the Rangers, and the Texas Longhorns, but mostly The Cowboys) I played football in High School before I got hurt (I was probably the only kid in High School with a letterman jacket, who also choreographed fights for the broadsword club, and played Pokémon in the cafeteria) and that love carried over when I started rooting for the Cowboys, now I follow them every year. I love to read, my current favorite authors (Outside the almost obligatory Tolkien, Martin, and Rowling) are Peter V. Brett, and Phillip Pullman. I love to RP, even in single player video games. When I play Skyrim, I will NOT wear a helmet in a city, and if I decide to rob someone, I always cover my face. I've worked in the Cell Phone industry for years (currently I am not), and I LOVE talking about updates to phones, their hardware, and their software. I can't program worth a shit on computer, but I love to play with their hardware. I game on both PC, and Xbox, but I tend to lean towards RPG's specifically (though I'll admit to a small obsession with the Madden, and NBA games). I also love a great board game, my wife and I try to host a "Game Night" at least once a month where we play either Wii U Games, or board games. I can also get pretty nerdy about my music. I'll listen to almost anything with good sound, and good lyrics, though my heart will always lie with Metal. Anything from 80's Hair Metal, to today's Nu-Metal (LOVE Trivium, Slayer, Dethklok, Avenged Sevenfold, and Five Finger Deathpunch)
  • edited October 2015
    Video Games, tons of video games. I've got a dual monitor setup so I can mud/web browse/watch movies while I play a video game. I poke my head at comics and manga but I rarely give myself any free time to read anything. If I am reading, it is generally fantasy/sci-fi related and it's in those rare moments where I am in a situation where I cannot have my laptop on me and I am otherwise unoccupied in the real world. I always carry a book on my person, unless I am at work... then it is in my car or locker.

I am part of a white wolf tabletop session that gets together on a weekly basis. They were doing Exalted before I joined in, we're doing Trinity now. I've been craving a Shadowrun session, but they're not really into it at the moment.

I can hold my own when it comes to sports and sports knowledge, but I enjoy riling up my friends by displaying a near incompetent level of 'know' in the College Football area, because I grew up in an area with no University so I just don't understand how big a deal it is now that I live near the University of Oregon.

With music, I listen to a lot of Vocaloid, Trance, Techno/Electro Swing (Parov Stelar, woo), that sort of thing. When I am not listening to that, I am enjoying a healthy dose of Gojira, Ayreon, Luca Turilli, Lazerhawk, and Mystery Skulls, just to name a few.

Currently playing a mashup of Warframe, League of Legends, Dota 2, Smite, Vanilla WoW (Nostalrius Server), Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Risk of Rain.. hrm.. I play way too many games. It'd probably be easier to list my steam profile. I poke and prod at some 100+ games at various times throughout the week dependent on my mood.

Also, going to school full time currently to become a Network Security person, or just general IT if that loses my interest, while I work part/full time... and back to poof town. *Poof*

• SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    I have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of Star Trek.
    I've been watching Dragonball for two months and I can't stop.
    I collect retro games. Yeah. I'm a dork.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • Reading/writing, hiking, drinking coffee, traveling.

I play a lot of Quake Live, too.

Also obsessed with live music. Since 2004 I have probably seen around 300+ shows of various artists/bands, with a handful I follow and travel to see pretty regularly. Though not so much lately. School plus job equals all work and no play.
  • I played a Warhammer 40k RPG called Dark Heresy once. With actual, real live humans. Clearly exposure to the Warp has prevented them from going insane in my presence. Which is why I like that game.

• IT Guy who loves computers.

Play MTG every friday night at my friend's tabletop store. Also prereleases cause they're fun.

I am into curling.

I play lots of video games. Before Achaea I played Counter-Strike for the better part of 10 years or a little more, can't remember.

Quake Live is fun. I like arcadey first person shooters. 

League of Legends here and there, and I basically own every blizzard game ever.
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    Videos games. Been playing new season of D3 a bit. I also enjoy reading manga/watching anime. Slowly working my way through the recommendations on a thread I started a while back. Soooo many good ones.

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/3180/anime-manga-recommendations/p1

• I've been a fan of MUDs for years, with my longest relationship with one being about nine years. I've had brief stints with other MUDs, including a couple of the IRE MUDs over the years as well. As far as other "nerdy inclinations" go, I am heavily into board games (Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Splendor, etc.) as well as video games such as the Legend of Zelda series or Minecraft. Tabletop roleplaying games such as D&D (in all its various editions) are what I invest most of my "me" time to, now. I am both a player and DM and love the role of both (clarification: not at the same time).

I'm also a bookworm and a fan of Doctor Who.

Recently I've found myself with more free time so I'm hoping to pick up Achaea as one of my pastimes.
  • Numbers.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.