Kung Fu Movies

Netflix has had some really great martial arts movies lately. Ong Bak, Ip Man, True Legend, Bunraku, just to name a few. Who else loves a good kung fu flick?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Ong Bak and Bunraku... so you mean to say, martial arts films, or still kung fu?

Anyway, Fearless was a pretty good contemporary (sort of) film, and this was robbed of an Oscar. My top two are Dragon's Claws and 18 Bronzemen, though.
  • My claim to fame is training with Mr. Miyagi's stunt double, Fumio Demura.

I actually can't watch martial arts films, because I hate it when they get fights *wrong*. I think the last one I watched was House of Flying Daggers, which was just silly.
  • edited December 2012
    Eh, what do you expect from a movie titled House of Flying Daggers?

Besides, kung fu movies are basically martial arts moves on speed. They're not supposed to make sense.

Also, you used the same hyperlinks. :D
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    Sorry, I meant martial arts movies in general. Kung fu, wushu, mr. miyagi, w/e.

• Aktillum said:
    Sorry, I meant martial arts movies in general. Kung fu, wushu, mr. miyagi, w/e.

Whoa, if that's the case... too many to mention. :D

We get a lot of kung fu movies/tv shows where I live. Well, we used to anyways.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I grew up on lol 90s HBO karate flicks (American Ninja, Bloodsport). The Last Dragon is fairly funny if you like Kung Pow, though it's a cult classic.

• edited December 2012
    Hahaha, Michael Dudikoff! JCVD was pretty beastly in his films, especially if you're a kid who knew nothing about martial arts in the first place.

I think the Karate Kid series is the only martial arts-themed american movie I like to this day.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Just watched House of Flying Daggers.

• Dragon (Wu xia) is the last good kungfu movie I remember watching.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited December 2012
    I think Ong Bak is Muay Thai. One of my favourite martial arts movie is Chocolate. Here's a trailer.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I watch a ton of these.  Going outside just the Netflix ones, some great ones were Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Fist of Legend, House of Flying Daggers (someone mentioned it was silly but its entertaining), Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Swordman.  
  • Damnit hyperlinks. This is what I get for posting early in the morning.

This is the one I meant.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Also the biopic Bruce Lee, My Brother was really good.  I watched that one on a International Flight a couple of years ago.

• Anyone like the 36th Chamber of Shaolin? T'was a good movie, in my opinion.
  • edited December 2012
    Yip Man and the Bruce Lee classics always good.

Donnie Yen is still a sell-out though for his stupid eye surgery. D:
  • You haven't mentioned the Protector yet. This is an utter sin. Otherwise, for surprising accuracy the Kali scenes in the Bourne trilogy are amazing, and as someone in the stages of learning I find myself with something to aspire to.

• The Hunted had some pretty awesome fight scenes as well.
  • IP Man is my absolute favorite for choreography.
  • The Guy With Secret Kung Fu... I don't know why, but I love it...
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Not gonna lie. >.> I thought Ip Man was related to the internet.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• I was in Best Buy with Dumah and we were picking up a copy of Yip Man 2 (or 0, depending on how you look at it), and some lady comes up to us and says that I. P. (she said 'eye pee') Man was her favorite movie.

Yip Man is her favorite movie and she can't even get his name correct. D:
  • Tarkanian said:
    The Hunted had some pretty awesome fight scenes as well.
    Every time I watch the Hunted it's driven further home that it is, in fact, a bad movie, but the fight choreography -is- done very well, as is the realistic interpretation of how knife fights end up. -Nobody- goes home happy after a knife fight.

Adding to the list for sheer entertainment value even though some of the movies aren't strictly pure 'Martial Arts' movie is probably the french films Banlieue 13 and Banlieue 13 Ultimatum (District B13 and Ultimatum in the states) The plots are ridiculous, the dubbing for English is in horrible cockney and irish accents, but David Belle, parkour legend plays the main character Leito, and I'll just leave you guys with the scene (not even a -fight- scene really) that made me go watch it.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Hideyoshi said:
    Dragon (Wu xia) is the last good kungfu movie I remember watching.
    Yeah I liked it too. It was epic both for choreography and the sheer volume of ham. >_>

• @Trey I think 'chase scene' is the phrase you're looking for.
  • Chryenth said:
    @Trey I think 'chase scene' is the phrase you're looking for.
    Of course it is. But generally when you think Martial Arts movies you think fight scene, and I was prefacing the clip explaining what it wasn't, rather than what it -was-.

• I Love kung fu movies, I had the chance of learning karate but I didn't go which I hate myself for it BUT anyways yes I enjoy the movies.