Jester RP cliches and pitfalls 1.0

@Amunet has spurred me into making one of these. Please note Amunet and I are very embittered members of the playerbase in regards to jester roleplay. We have been on the receiving end of a lot of it, so much of what we have to offer will be in the section of the "don't"s. I'll try my best to offer what good roleplay opportunities are out there for a Jester.

Don't.
* Start the game thinking you're the best entertainer that ever lived. Like all other roles, you must learn to accustom yourself to your audience.
* Get hung up on your failures. People who don't like you aren't going to like you more if you hire on them, start annoying them more or pester them into liking you. Just don't do it. Drop it and move on.
* Include in your description that your eyes sparkle with Mischief. That's cliche.
* be a clown with bright purple hair.
* Don't try to be randumb. (I have a purple cat! My nose is blue!)
* Enter a room and begin yelling your skit, play or prank without regard for the current event or conversation that may be happening there.
* Justify OOC actions or ridiculous behaviour with 'I'm a Jester, it's my RP!'.
* Reference Monty Python, Eddie Izzard or other comedy one-liners in your performances, over HNT or CT or in says.
* Be a direct copy of; an asylum Jester / Insane Clown posse / the Joker.
* Chose a famous name, a French word for laughter or a pun for a name. It will define your character before you've even developed it.

Do.
* Become a leader or take a serious position in an organisation and represent your class well.
* Think about what you say and have clever witticisms to say instead of inane comments (if you are a funny Jester).
* Learn what your class skills do, how they can be applied and what restrictions they have. (Hocuspocus timings, colour)
* Write plays, skits and items which require organisation to show your ability to prepare content.
* Describe your emotes to the best of your ability.
* Have a custom smile emote instead of the default.
* Make custom emotes and adlib on the fly to show you have the power to perform in any situation.
* Treat your class flavourtext with disdain.
* Ground your illusions in reality. (This is another discussion altogether).
* Stay in-character at all times and think about what you are referencing.
* Explore a jester's place in history. Look to Shakespeare's plays, look to the middle ages and especially:

Taillefer
The best jester of the entire history of the world. My love for this man cannot be put into words. He was a real jester through and through.

"Taillefer (Latin: Incisor ferri, meaning "hewer of iron") was the surname of a Norman ioglere (translated as Juggler) , whose exact name and place of birth are unknown (sometimes his first name is given as "Ivo"). He travelled to England during the Norman conquest of England of 1066, in the train of William the Conqueror. At the Battle of Hastings, Taillefer recited the Chanson de Roland to the Norman troops while juggling with his sword. An English soldier ran out to challenge him and was killed by Taillefer, who then charged the English lines and was engulfed. Strangely, Taillefer is not depicted, by name at least, on the Bayeux Tapestry."

The CIJ have actually already summed up all this post in five words.

"Tell jokes, don't be one."
"Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.

Comments

• Out of curiosity, are any of my old help files about the nature of humor and entertainment still up in the CIJ? A lot of these are things I remember very clearly trying to address in my time there.

In any case, my additions:

- DON'T use preset emotes if at all possible. In fact, this applies outside of the Jesters, but I know I fell into the trap of it pretty badly.
    - DO use targeted emotes whenever you can. Learn how to TMOTE, and you'll draw people in quite a bit better - and find a lot more flexibility in describing what your character is doing.

- DON'T try to always be 'on' as a comedian. Very few real life entertainers are able to do this. They're just regular people until they take to the stage.
    - DO develop multiple, very clear faces. Make your performance ego entirely different from your day-to-day dealings ego, especially if you end up in public office. What people expect from a councilmember is far, far different than what they expect from a Jester, but so long as you can do both jobs, do not be afraid to try. Just keep them distinct and make it very clear when you're doing what role.

- DON'T try to improv without practice. Sel's first performance was as such, and it fell flat on its face.
    - DO try to make a habit out of going somewhere isolated and practicing with other Jesters! Real improv troupes rehearse constantly before ever going on stage.

- DON'T embrace cliches.
    - DO embrace tropes, and use them to add weight, depth, and expectation to your story. If you don't know the difference, look them up.

- DON'T try to shove what you do in people's faces. Some people really aren't interested in Jesters at all, leave them be.
    - DO have performances ready to go at all times. I used Mudlet and had whole folders of performance emotes/illusions that I kept locked until it was time to use them, worked out great.

- DON'T think you understand comedy yet.
    - DO your research on comedy. Here's a good start, for anyone interested: http://www.carlosbaena.com/resource/anim_funnybusiness.html

- DON'T embrace failure.
    - DO accept it, and learn from it.
  • Selira said:
    Out of curiosity, are any of my old help files about the nature of humor and entertainment still up in the CIJ? A lot of these are things I remember very clearly trying to address in my time there.
    Yes, with tweaks, though I think a few remain to be updated to current times.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Good, good - I'm sure they needed tweaks, they were things I threw together in a hurry just so there'd be something to point people toward. I tried to pull from my RL drama training in writing those, and I think that's something the CIJ needs more of - looking at what works in real life and learning to translate that in. Humor from the middle ages is often still hilarious, after all, as any Shakespeare aficionado will tell you.
  • "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • -1 OP: has no reference to penis humour.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    -1 OP: has no reference to penis humour.
    Yep, shoulda been more explicit - what I mean is that constant references to genitalia do not a Jester make.
  • @Sylvance I just thought that was general behaviour rules.
  • DON'T talk about cookies or pie all the time (or other sweets) but don't be afraid to either
    DO be passive aggressive. You're not an entertainer for royalty, and people should be just as afraid to step on your toes as you are of theirs. Your well-being is not subject to others' approval of you. e.g., you can piss a dragon off all you want, but if they threaten to eat you, make sure you already have your escape route in mind and are prepared to suffer your consequences.

DON'T read Shakespeare to be a 'perfect' jester if you don't want to.
    DO have some comedy/performance background if you want to be a performer, or funny.

DON'T cross 'the line'.
    DO be familiar with where 'the line' is, and push it at your leisure.

FUNNY is an opinion. Others can't define it for you, but if you're the only one laughing, be prepared to be the only one rustling too.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Beya said:
    @Sylvance I just thought that was general behaviour rules.
    Fair does :)
  • @Xith you're absolutely spot on, and I'm pleasantly surprised.
  • @Beya and @Tvistor, I can never tell which one of you liked my post. Thanks for making it easy this time.
  • Thanks for this post!
  • Great advice and something I think many classes can use.
  • edited March 2013
    A good example in the difference of being ignorantly witty as opposed to being just plain stupid or randumb, could be seen by Shakespeare's clown.
    Desdemona: do you know where lieutenant Casio lies?
    Clown: I wouldn't dare say he lies anywhere.
    Desdemona: Why would you say that?
    Clown: he's a soldier. If I accused him of lying, he'd stab me.
    Desdemona: oh come on, tell me where he's sleeping.
    Clown: telling you where he's sleeping is like telling you where I'm lying.

This was the only point where I laughed in English class.
  • All wordplay is fair game in a text world. If anyone faults you for it, offer the name of a decent rectal surgeon.