increased power and insight to the Alchemist who creates it. The
nigredo, or blackening comes first. Following this is the albedo, the
whitening. Then the citrinitas, or yellowing. The final step is the
rubedo, or reddening.
Most Alchemists will only be able to ever complete the nigredo, and none
have ever completed the final step of rubedo. What powers it ultimately
holds is unknown, but many theories have been whispered in the vaunted
halls of the Cauda Pavonis.

What is Philosopher Stone ? I transmutated, nothing in my inventory...

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I think it's purposeless right now.

Weird, right? I know... it's kept on currently just for Alchemist RP flavour -- but it used to be the Transcendent skill in Transmutation that gave sip/potash bonus to Alchemists, before it became a general tradeskill.
  • Krypton said:
    I think it's purposeless right now.

Weird, right? I know... it's kept on currently just for Alchemist RP flavour -- but it used to be the Transcendent skill in Transmutation that gave sip/potash bonus to Alchemists, before it became a general tradeskill.
    I transed for it...
  • To my knowledge you still get the bonus from synthesis health/mana/potash. You don't get a physical item though. Not sure if is still gives you a bonus while synthesising.
  • edited October 2015
    Tahquil said:
    To my knowledge you still get the bonus from synthesis health/mana/potash. You don't get a physical item though. Not sure if is still gives you a bonus while synthesising.
    Tecton definitely said it wasn't supposed to give the bonus anymore when tradeskills went in - that it was just an RP thing now.

Also, I don't think there's any way for the game to differentiate between "synthesis health" and other health anymore - so I don't think it's even technically possible.

I guess it might theoretically do something for formulation, since that's where it now resides. I don't know that anyone's tested it.

Is Bolster a trans skill too now or is Philosopher Stone actually the only thing you get from transing? If it is, that should probably be looked at. That's a huge lesson investment for absolutely nothing.
  • It does nothing at all now, it's just for flavour. It originally wasn't going to be kept at all when transmutation was removed, but it was added to formulation without any mechanical effects to preserve the RP aspect.

Bolster is at trans, and enhancement is only about 70 lessons before trans.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    So no functionality at the moment, but Tecton did say the possibility exists of it having some mechanical use again in the future: 
    Tecton said:
    Khaibit said:
    Tecton said:
    Ahmet said:
    Are we losing Philosopher's Stone?
    The actual ability, yes (for now).

We may tie that RP back into the rest of the Alchemy skillset in the future though!
    The stone is a massive part of the roleplay for Alchemists... lots of people have put a lot of work into it from an rp perspective and you're just going to remove it? That's kind of worse than forcing us to learn 2 more skills to be the same as we currently are, and making our artifacts worthless unless we bought them recently
    Right, we certainly don't want to completely do away with the RP aspects - leave it with me, we'll see if we can massage it in sooner rather than later. It will lose its mechanical benefits though!

• Krypton said:
    So no functionality at the moment, but Tecton did say the possibility exists of it having some mechanical use again in the future: 
    Tecton said:
    Khaibit said:
    Tecton said:
    Ahmet said:
    Are we losing Philosopher's Stone?
    The actual ability, yes (for now).

We may tie that RP back into the rest of the Alchemy skillset in the future though!
    The stone is a massive part of the roleplay for Alchemists... lots of people have put a lot of work into it from an rp perspective and you're just going to remove it? That's kind of worse than forcing us to learn 2 more skills to be the same as we currently are, and making our artifacts worthless unless we bought them recently
    Right, we certainly don't want to completely do away with the RP aspects - leave it with me, we'll see if we can massage it in sooner rather than later. It will lose its mechanical benefits though!

That quote seems to say the opposite - that they'd see about returning the ability to the Alchemist skillset for the RP aspect (which it seems they did by tacking it onto Alchemy at trans), but that the mechanical use is gone for good. Of course, anything's possible, and I don't anyone would completely rule out the possibility of repurposing it in some future rebalancing of the class or whatnot, but it doesn't sound like it's currently on the list of specific things to maybe look into doing sometime.
  • I was kinda mad when I did it. But people seem to feel like there's a way to increase the level of stone or something