Changing Class

Currently I am a level 56 Blademaster, Tri-Trans but the hunting is terrible.  I'm slowly losing interests in hunting because I run out of endurance rather quickly. On top of that, limbcounting as a blademaster has to be one of the hardest and most frustrating thing i've come across so far in Achaea and it's not fun. The class looks like a lot of fun, besides the fast endurance drop and limbcounting but I believe in order to start enjoying hunting and combat more I need to find a class.

How is your class in terms of hunting, combat, etc.?

What classes require a lot of coding theory to play?

What would you suggest a class for someone to play and get used to different areas in combat(i.e venoms, limb damage, raw damage, etc.)

knights look cool, monk seems rather simplistic, forestals look rather neat too. Any thoughts or advice on those?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    While systematic limbcounting based on enemy health is very helpful, there is a trick with blademaster that makes it possible to fight effectively without it, using one test break to figure out the breakpoint. It's a little slower than knowing the count based on health values, but not too bad since blademaster breaks so quickly.
    • Do alternating slashes (armslash left, armslash right, repeat) until something breaks.
    • If both broke, then you know how many alternating slashes it takes to prep two limbs.
    • If only one broke, you also know how to double break the limbs thanks to the relationship between compass and arm/leg/centreslash. Compass the unbroken limb so it breaks and resets the count. Then compass each limb once and it'll double break one slash sooner than the single break happened.
    As an example:

• If you do 4 alternating slashes (left-right-left-right) and it breaks both, you know you need to do 3 alternating slashes (left-right-left) to prep and the fourth (right) will double-break.
    • If you do 5 alternating slashes and it breaks both, then you know you need to do 4 alternating slashes to prep and the fifth will double-break.
    • If you do 5 alternating slashes and it breaks only one limb, then you compass the other limb to reset it, then you can prep by compassing each limb once, then doing 3 alternating slashes, and the fourth will double-break.
    • (It isn't possible for an even number of alternating slashes to single-break, so there is no 6 alternating slashes that single-break scenario to worry about.)
    That should be pretty easy to do in your head without any coding or anything like that.

Blademaster is actually a pretty straightforward class. Monk requires a fair amount of limb counting too, with each attack doing a different amount of limb damage (and monk is really not that simplistic what with the stances and throws and limb counting and telepathy), most people find affliction combat the most challenging, and, regardless of class, raw damage is not going to kill many combatants without careful hindering or some means of amplification.

The hunting is pretty awful (which is really something that ought to be fixed - this has been brought up so many times), but you're not going to find many classes to play that are more straightforward than blademaster.
  • Eolan said:
    Currently I am a level 56 Blademaster, Tri-Trans but the hunting is terrible.  I'm slowly losing interests in hunting because I run out of endurance rather quickly.

How is your class in terms of hunting, combat, etc.? 

Dragon is great for hunting.

Joking! Maybe.

While Runewarden (at least dual cutting) I never noticed any endurance drain. Runewarden is also one of the tankiest hunting classes I've been. Monk is another that is very tanky, but that's more due to abilities than defences. Last time I was a monk was years ago, and they had a decent endurance drain back then, I don't know if that's changed.

That said, don't let a little thing like endurance get you down if you like the class. I did a ton of hunting as a shaman when their willpower drain was intense - full to zero in less than an hour (hunting things that didn't make me clot and not using focus) at level 90+. Recovery is very fast and easy assuming hunting is not all you do.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I feel like magi is a pretty straightforward class. Decent hunting and PvP, even though I personally suck at it.

PvP is mainly counting limbs, which is a set number of hits to break with staffstrike, then using your golem to stack levels of burn to get the kill, or going for the pummel route, in which you break limbs, then freeze when they're off salve balance, and pummel them with your golem (kind of like DSB I guess)

Hunting comes with Reflections, harmony vibe, and adduction if you just -have- to bash that group of 9 zombies or 5 orcs or 4 manticores or whatever. Stormhammer is situation dependent, but can be nice as it lets you hit 3 enemies at once. Golem barrier eliminates the need for shield tattoo, and aerial gives you a quick getaway.

I've never been anything else, so I won't comment on other classes.

• Daeir said:
    I would recommend a knight class, possibly Runewarden if you desire a good all-round class. You will be counting limbs as a Runewarden though, but there are scripts that can help you with that - pretty sure svof is bundled with a Knight limbcounter by default these days as well.
    If you choose knight or magi either one, and are on mudlet, my tracker includes accurate limb counters for both. If limb counting was the only functionality you desired, I could look into ripping that portion out for you. 

Even if you aren't on mudlet, I don't care to drop anyone the formula both both.  You would have to script in your own triggers, but it's a start
  • Sniffle

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Austere I wouldn't mind having the formula if you're willing to share. My counter works okay as it is, but that would probably help with a couple of things that aren't as straightforward as they could be tracking a raw number of hits.
  • Tael said:
    While systematic limbcounting based on enemy health is very helpful, there is a trick with blademaster that makes it possible to fight effectively without it, using one test break to figure out the breakpoint. It's a little slower than knowing the count based on health values, but not too bad since blademaster breaks so quickly.
    • Do alternating slashes (armslash left, armslash right, repeat) until something breaks.
    • If both broke, then you know how many alternating slashes it takes to prep two limbs.
    • If only one broke, you also know how to double break the limbs thanks to the relationship between compass and arm/leg/centreslash. Compass the unbroken limb so it breaks and resets the count. Then compass each limb once and it'll double break one slash sooner than the single break happened.

Of course, this assumes that you don't change stances, but that shouldn't be too bad an assumption for most cases, especially for a beginner.
  • Eld said:
    Tael said:

Of course, this assumes that you don't change stances, but that shouldn't be too bad an assumption for most cases, especially for a beginner.
    Yeah, if you change stance during a round of prep, things get very complicated very quickly. I can't think of many cases where you'd want to change stances mid-prep either (other than realising that you chose the wrong stance initially I guess).