Mechanical Keyboards

Ok I'm currently using a Razer Blackwidow keyboard, and I love the way the keys sound. Love the nice green backlight. Hate that it does shit like cc or mm or ss on a fairly regular basis, so I'm looking into purchasing a new one. Opinions Go!. 

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I have had the same Das Keyboard for...at least 8 or 9 years now?

These things are built like tanks. It's survived moves, spilled coffee, and who knows what else over the years. Though if you like blacklights and all that, it's maybe no the best choice - I bought it because it has almost no lights, and I even got one with blank keycaps (So shiny! So chrome!). I am not a person who likes LEDs on my stuff. I do know that a lot of people really like the Ducky keyboards, which have a lot more flashy colour and light options.

The biggest decision with a mechanical keyboard is always going to be the switches though. I have browns, which are still a little clicky, but not nearly as loud as blues - I think they're a really nice middle of the road in terms of loudness, stiffness, etc. Blues are awesome for typing if noise will never be an issue and you don't really plan on doing a ton of gaming (other than Achaea anyway). Blacks and reds have always seemed a little bit pointless to me - who would buy a mechanical keyboard that didn't have any feedback in the keys?
  • Achaea and coding stuff... about all I do. That and research papers on processors. I  think I'd like blues if they're anything near as loud as the razer greens that I'm currently using. 

• HEY HEY DON'T JUST LOOK AT THE TOPIC W/O LEAVING AN OPINION. I've heard Corsiar is good. I like a backlit keyboard helps me play in the dark like the cave troll I am. 

• Don't have any problem with my steelseries. Although my particular model doesn't have a numpad. Cherry mx blues mmm
  • Filco Majestouch 2.

My only problem has been that I have worn the inked letters on some of the key caps down over the past four years. This is fine since I touch type, although I would probably look at a Ninja if I were to buy another one these days (letters inked on the front of the keys instead of the top, just ends up looking cleaner overall).

No backlight at all, although the lock LEDs are bright enough that I had to put tape over them to blunt them a little. Solid Cherry MX Brown switches, never had a problem with rollover even when playing WoW, SWTOR, GW2, Doom, what have you that is not Achaea, and perfectly solid to type on for long periods of Achaea or coding or other writing.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I have a Corsair K90..pretty awesome

You can choose between none or 3 different backlight options.I has about 16 programable keys on the left..plus a numlock set on the right.Volume button ext.

Perfect for a keyboard cowboy

• I've really been looking at Corsair hard. I'm damn near sold actually. 

• I use the Razer Blackwidow ultimate for everything. If you're having issues like described, your model might be falty; it is usually extremely precise.
  • this is the second one that I've gotten that's had these issues.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackwidow-Ultimate-2014-Elite-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/41531104 got both of them from walmart too. 

• Tael said:
    I have had the same Das Keyboard for...at least 8 or 9 years now?

These things are built like tanks. It's survived moves, spilled coffee, and who knows what else over the years. Though if you like blacklights and all that, it's maybe no the best choice - I bought it because it has almost no lights, and I even got one with blank keycaps (So shiny! So chrome!). I am not a person who likes LEDs on my stuff. I do know that a lot of people really like the Ducky keyboards, which have a lot more flashy colour and light options.

The biggest decision with a mechanical keyboard is always going to be the switches though. I have browns, which are still a little clicky, but not nearly as loud as blues - I think they're a really nice middle of the road in terms of loudness, stiffness, etc. Blues are awesome for typing if noise will never be an issue and you don't really plan on doing a ton of gaming (other than Achaea anyway). Blacks and reds have always seemed a little bit pointless to me - who would buy a mechanical keyboard that didn't have any feedback in the keys?
    I'm using the Das Keyboard 4 professional and it's noisy af and difficult to press at times, good finger workout though.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I mean I honestly love my Razer except for the double entry of certain keys. It doesn't even really happen that often, just a few times a day some days, sometimes it'll go a week without it doing it. 

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Deladan said:
    HEY HEY DON'T JUST LOOK AT THE TOPIC W/O LEAVING AN OPINION. I've heard Corsiar is good. I like a backlit keyboard helps me play in the dark like the cave troll I am. 
    I personally use a Dell Keyboard from the late 90's it's covered in shame and food and other stuff recently my <- key has been sticking which makes it kind of annoying and when I pop it off the amount of crud that's in there is to scary so I pop the key back on and cry. Not only does it have no leds or any of that other fancy shit. It does however have this really cool volume knob I couldn't live with out.

And speaking about being built like a tank im pretty sure this fucker was built from the black box they put on airplanes.

• Deladan said:
    Achaea and coding stuff... about all I do. That and research papers on processors. I  think I'd like blues if they're anything near as loud as the razer greens that I'm currently using. 
    Normal blues and razer greens are, I think, very nearly identical - looking at the specs, the only difference seems to be that razer is trying to sell you on the fact that they moved the actuation point a quarter of a millimeter, which seems pretty ridiculous.

Blues are pretty loud. If you look a loud keyboard with a lot of feedback, you would not be disappointed.
  • The double up on some key presses has happened on my previous mechanical keyboard and it was an absolute pain. I did a return on the first and the replacement started doing it as well after a while and I just gave up on it. It was a ThermalTake Meka G-Unit I believe? I don't recommend that.

My current has been working great so far. GIGABYTE Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard. Cherry red, I believe. Comes with a simple little plastic key puller that makes removing keys for cleaning so much easier.

Just to mess around with people, I used it to change around random keys. F5 is now F12.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Why on Earth do people pay this much for a keyboard?! -mind boggled-

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    Klendathu said:
    When a huge part of your life is spent drilling holes, you buy a top of the line drill with top of the line bits, so you don't have to make a trip to the hardware store every few days.

When you spend your life hammering nails into hardwood, you get a hickory shaft hammer with a balanced head, that has a claw end for pulling nails out.

When a huge part of your life is spent typing on a keyboard, you get a top of the line keyboard, with all the bells and whistles ...

I'll pay $200 for a touch sensitive, mechanical, A-shape-key, backlit keyboard. What's more though, is that I'll buy two. One for home and one for the office.

I'll add another $15 to that if they'll give me a matching high end optical mouse, with a carbon-fibre mouse pad.

But that's just me, because my hands are on a keyboard 8 hours of the day, and that's when I'm not playing Achaea.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Athelas said:
    Klendathu said:
    When a huge part of your life is spent typing on a keyboard, you get a top of the line keyboard, with all the bells and whistles ...

But that's just me, because my hands are on a keyboard 8 hours of the day, and that's when I'm not playing Achaea.
    Me too, still can't see why people would pay that much for a keyboard. Horses for courses.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited September 2015
    Klendathu said:
    Athelas said:
    Klendathu said:

Me too, still can't see why people would pay that much for a keyboard. Horses for courses.
    The difference between a medium-quality mouse and a high-quality mouse is usually not particularly huge - even a cheap mouse is going to perform almost identically to a high-end mouse for 99% of things you do. That's true of a lot of peripherals - things have gotten to the point where the high-end is pretty functionally similar to the low-end.

That is not true of keyboards. The difference between a mechanical keyboard and a rubber-dome keyboard is gigantic. It's astoundingly easy to tell the difference and virtually everyone prefers mechanical when they try them.

They also tend to last a lot longer. Like I said, I've had the same keyboard for almost a decade. While it's true that replacing a $10 keyboard every year doesn't add up to the same price, it does make the price seem a little more reasonable.
  • edited September 2015
    I got the Logitech uh... G710+ a few months back. It's -very- nice.

My only gripe with it is the small left-hand Shift key, but most keyboards seem to be going that route these days :cry: 
  • I also recommend the Corsair series, I have the K90 as well and honestly it's a bit long and I don't find much use for the macro keys but the build quality on this thing is amazing.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    whatever the default keyboard that comes with a mac is

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited September 2015
    Surface Pro 3 keyboard is good for me.