Mining and Legions

Comments

• Oh my god buy your room credits already :cry: 
  • Mining bonuses are still bugged.

The help file says that for each individual squad they have a certain percent chance to produce double what they normally produce. This means if you have 1 squad with 20 miners in it, they would normally produce 40 coal and have an x% chance to produce an additional 40 coal (double normal production).

This means that if you have 15 miners in a squad, they'll normally produce 30 coal per tick and if the bonus is triggered they'll produce an additional 30 coal.

What the current system is doing is giving a flat bonus on the total number of miners you have in the mine minus a static amount per missing miner per squad. So if you have 240 miners in a mine, you will get 24 commodities as a bonus. The type of commodity doesn't matter, the mine rate doesn't matter. So for a lode like iron where a squad of 20 miners would normally produce 6 iron per tick, if they bonus is triggered and they have 240 miners in the mine, they get an additional 24 iron instead of an additional 6 iron. While this is great for low-yield commodities like iron and stone, it is terrible for coal and other high-yield commodities.

Here is the bug: If you have 12 squads with 20 miners in each, you get 24 commodities if a bonus is triggered. However, if one squad has 19 miners, you only get 23. If you have two squads that have 19 miners, you only get 22. If you have 11 squads with 20 and 1 squad with 15, you only get 19 commodities on a bonus. Basically for every miner you have missing from a perfect 20 x (# of squads) you lose 1 commodity.

The current formula is (squads * 2) - ((20 * squads) - total miners in mine))
    So if you have 12 squads in a mine and one of them has 18 miners in it, you end up with 22 bonus commodities.

The formula should be miners in squad * mine rate * 2.
    So if you have 12 squads in a mine and one of them has 18 miners in it, if the squad with 18 miners triggers the bonus on a coal lode you'll receive 36 extra coal but the squads with a full 20 miners in them would trigger a +40 bonus. 

The past two formulas that have been used for bonus ticks have been factoring total miners in the MINE not the squad. 

Also, I haven't ever seen a double tick. If you have 12 squads in a mine you should have a small chance at having more than one squad trigger their bonuses, you should actually have an extremely small chance at having all 12 squads trigger a bonus. A level 5 squad with level 5 spec in a commodity would have 10% chance to produce a bonus of double their normal yield. If you had 12 squads like that you would have a 10% chance for at least two squads to produce a bonus on the same tick. A handful of us have been monitoring this pretty closely and haven't seen a single instance where more than one squad produces a bonus on the same tick. With a 10% at only level 5, I would suspect that we would have seen it if it was possible, so I'm assuming it isn't right now.

• @GrandueI think you are misunderstanding the bonuses. Its a chance for the squad to extract an extra commodity. Thus, a lvl 2 squad when they(as a squad) have a chance of producing an extra(not an extra per squadmate). I am pretty sure that nothing is mined at a rate of 20 / squad / day.

The bonuses for levels and specializations are there, they are just I think an order of magnitude smaller than you are expecting.
  • @Greys There is the possibility I'm misunderstanding, but in discussion with a bunch of other miners and from what we've heard and been told, the bonus is supposed to double the yield of the entire squad, not just one miner in the squad. 

The language in the help file isn't super clear: "Every squad level adds a 1 percent chance that that squad will generate an extra comm when it produces one normally."

The best answer to this is that it essentially doubles the output. If you produce 1 commodity, it generates 1 more. If you produce 40 commodities, it generates 40 more. The bonus is 1:1.

And yes, coal is mined at a rate of 40 coal per squad of 20 miners per day. 

The bonuses for levels and specs are there, correct, but it is bugged and not working correctly. There is no interpretation of the verbiage in the help file that would result in what it is doing now.
  • Also beside the bonus tick bug there is another problem. Available to mine stone has been raised in the last days, but same thing did not happen to coal, so we ended up with more raw materials than coal existing to refine it.

And to put numbers in the above:
    -3 days ago: total raw stone mined: 22k, total coal mined: 19k
    -2 days ago: total stone: 47k, total coal: 20k
    -1 day ago: total stone: 40k, total coal: 20k
    -overall in last 9 days: 178k stone, 199k coal. 

while before the increase in stone we'd normally see 20-25k coal mined vs 10-12k stone.

So, I guess is obvious we need more coal that needs be about as plentiful as all other mined raw materials per period. (or maybe if raw stone was made the material needed to construct new mines instead of refined stone, could potentially fix the issue too)

@Sarapis

• Platinum mines are slower than molasses in January. I thought it was a bug, but it's working as intended. :frown: 

..It's thick molasses, too.

• Is there any way we could get rooms to have unique names in mining areas? It makes SURVEY REGION a lot less useful if there are 9 rooms named "Pash Valley" and over 40 rooms named "Amid the dunes". I'm sure all of us here could help suggest new rooms names fairly quickly. If survey reveals that there are two lodes at Amid the dunes I have to run all 46 rooms first to count how many mines are on them and then run through prospecting each room if I realize there is a free lode hidden in the haystack.
  • It just broke even worse.

Normal yield per tick for platinum is 17. Bronislav got 252 platinum from a bonus tick. Normal rank points would have been 136 and he got 2016 rank points in one hour.

• Ainly said:
    Grandue said:
    Is there any way we could get rooms to have unique names in mining areas? It makes SURVEY REGION a lot less useful if there are 9 rooms named "Pash Valley" and over 40 rooms named "Amid the dunes". I'm sure all of us here could help suggest new rooms names fairly quickly. If survey reveals that there are two lodes at Amid the dunes I have to run all 46 rooms first to count how many mines are on them and then run through prospecting each room if I realize there is a free lode hidden in the haystack.

Having a bunch of rooms named Amid the dunes adds to the effect of being lost and disoriented in a desert.  I like it.
    True, I like that too. Perhaps move the camp somewhere else where there aren't 40+ rooms all named the same thing. 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited August 2015
    i'm getting the impression stone is being produced quicker than coal - as in, more stone lodes than coal lodes, by far
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Throwing my name into the "more coal please" hat.

Otherwise I've been fairly happy with how spawns have been going lately.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Throwing my name into the "more coal please" hat.
    For a few times I kept re-reading "coral". What's wrong with me.
  • That said, there could be minerals under the sea. Can sailors built platforms and rigs?
  • Dochitha said:
    That said, there could be minerals under the sea. Can sailors built platforms and rigs?
    Deepsea mining
  • Well we already know the Scyrians have silvermines. Rumor has it they are more than willing to show them to landwalkers from time to time.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Tahquil said:
    Well we already know the Scyrians have silvermines. Rumor has it they are more than willing to show them to landwalkers from time to time.
    slavery doesn't count - and aren't those salt mines?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Both.

Skye likes to speculate that if she misbehaves too much she'll be sent down for a little hard labour to get her head right.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I didn't mean it :(

• I never really understood the salt mine bit. I mean, they live in the ocean. How much more salt do you want?
  • How do you think the oceans got salty in the first place?

• edited September 2015
    The tears of pirating victims.
  • Daeir said:
    I don't want Triton salt emissions anywhere near me or my ship, thanks.
    You know that fresh sea breeze you get in your sails and your face against the wind, with the tang of salt and the sea?

Essence of triton, apparently.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sarathai said:
    Daeir said:
    You know that fresh sea breeze you get in your sails and your face against the wind, with the tang of salt and the sea?

And that is why the Tritons should be exterminated. Filth of the sea.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Sarathai said:
    Daeir said:

Someone make a song parody called "Smells like Teen Triton"

"Load up on fish, bring your fins..."
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    edited September 2015
    I can't remember if its been suggested already or not.

What about giving Barakus the ability to sell (hire out) singular miners, with the sole purpose of boosting a partial squad back to full twenty?

Available only for miners, not army legions.

Something like...

BUY 1 MINER FROM BARAKUS FOR SQUAD 53

You pay 20 gold and add a miner to Manaran Miners (#53), bringing the count to 18.
    You pay 20 gold and add a miner to Manaran Miners (#53), bringing the count to 19.
    You pay 20 gold and add a miner to Manaran Miners (#53), bringing the count to 20.

- (when trying to add to a full squad)
    That squad is at maximum capacity, and no more miners may be added to it.

- (when trying to add to a non-miner squad))
    You may not add miners to a squad of that type.

- (when trying to add to a non-existent squad)
    No such squad exists.

And perhaps (if its possible?) to balance, adding new squad members to a mining group will immediately the experience level, but because the squad is partially trained already, they will overall gain experience back quicker (similar to how ship crews work).

• For Taraus's suggestion, could also scale the cost based on the squad level.