Mining and Legions

Comments

• Watchman said:

Seriously though, any considerations at this point towards swapping back to wood? 
    Definitely not. The instant that happened, what we'd hear is, "Now there are many less lodes to mine" too.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Pretty sure I've not really made any money out of this but I'm still having fun. Especially as ongoing adjustments are made. Building networks and cultivating relationships have really helped, especially as a rogue miner in the face of the larger city-based coalitions.

Lode addiction is worse than drug addiction. You should see some of us practically crawling on the ground desperate for some/any lode. >_>

• I'm curious: Is anyone rigorously tracking their inputs and outputs via spreadsheet for their mining activities? 
  • edited August 2015
    Yes. I know a couple people that are, shall I nudge them your way, @Sarapis ?

Unaffiliated mining rave - I finally got something other than coal!
  • edited August 2015
    @Sarapis I mostly track my costs per commodity (iron costing 53 gold to produce, etcetera) to make sure I am making a respectable profit when I sell the finished goods. I could tell at the start many people were selling the commodities for a loss and just waited it out or purchased for resale later.
  • Daeir said:
    I think only the moguls and the people who got platinum early are the only people to have made any significant profit, following Sena's metric posted earlier.
    It sounds like something I'd do, but I don't remember posting anything like that.
  • Lisbethae said:
    Yes. I know a couple people that are, shall I nudge them your way, @Sarapis ?

Unaffiliated mining rave - I finally got something other than coal!
    Nah, no need, was just curious how serious people are taking trying to turn a profit. @Greys answer was what I was looking for. 
  • @Daeir I gave a cost breakdown for stone in this thread earlier which was explaining why they are unlikely to ever see stone for 35 gold each again. I have made a profit with mining but I still have made more overall trading wood.  I still think playing the commodity market has a greater capacity for revenue though I lack the interest to invest significant time monitor more than a few commodities. Its one of those things that interests me as a player but doesn't entirely resonate with my concept for my character.
  • Daeir said:
    I vaguely remember something approaching a cost-effectiveness for mine sizes, which pretty much billed most things as a loss at the time. Unless I'm confabulating. Which I might be.

I swear someone posted something like that.
    I said that if you ignore cost, larger mines are always better, so mine size only depends on whether the benefits are worth the extra cost to you. But I never went into detail on when it is or isn't worth it or how you'd decide, or anything at all specific.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I didn't invest money into mining to make a profit, but I'm pretty sure I've invested more than 700k into mine maintenance funds. I also haven't sold all of what I've mined though, so there's that.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I have a spreadsheet for investments, gains, and commodity stores(attached to my tailoring/cooking/forging/etc spreadsheet), and a mine size, lode size, product type cost calculator attached to my mining assault simulator.
  • XerXer Langley
    I just kept track of total profits. Also, I've made 4 million off normal commodities, and an extra 2 million off platinum. Then you have to subtract mining expenses, but an overall profit, even when you don't include the fact that I still have over 30k commodities mined that I'm still slowly selling.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I keep an eye on cost per comm produced, pretty much guesstimating and always rounding up. I'm sure that I'm breaking even, and probably making a decent amount of profit. I also have had to horde a decent amount of comms while the market was diluted with people who.. apparently didn't care about profits at all.
  • Sorry to those who don't like the mining system but hearing some of these replies makes me a little giddy. It's exactly what I'd hoped for with mining!
    Any chance we'll see new rare minerals in the future? I guess the current ones more or less cover most of the bases, but would be cool to see other things that do little things like temporary dashing/extra movement or allow you to shout like a temp ram's horn. They'll probably go for a lot cheaper than the current ones. 

• If you mine the right things in the right way and use the market wisely you can mine at a good profit. If you have any tradeskills that require commodities you maximise this further by not having to pay others for those commodities as well.

The system works fine and the spawns seem to be a lot better now in terms of timezone spread.

The only bug bear I have is that I don't think the multiple nerfs to mine conflict were the best option to level the playing field. It does means mines are 99% safe now and so there isn't a reason for most people to claim anymore. This makes mining a lot cheaper overall but ruins it for stronghold holders. Conflict will still happen, I am sure but I doubt most top (or any) miners will find situations where it is worth it to throw soldiers away attacking anymore.

A better option might have been to just make small mines less cost efficient and "violence free" this would have given new miners a way in to train up soldiers while leaving the open mining community able to engage in meaningful conflict.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2015
    @Sarapis, it was mentioned a while ago about agreeing in putting in "groups" (or reforming armies, or something) to basically allow you to deploy groups of squads at a time (instead of having to do squad 1, 2, 3, etc for say, miners). It was also asked (by someone whose name I can't recall much earlier in the thread) that if RECALL ALL could have a MINE option (to recall all squads from a certain mine only).

Are either of these possibilities anytime soon? I mean, I'm sure I could whip up a little alias or two, but wondering if I should just wait for the actual (much less spammy) commands first.

Edit to add in actual post quote:

Sarapis said:
    Medi said:
    Can we have more groups, similar to the army? So we can have miners in groups, soldiers in groups, and then possibly a 'deploy group# here' command to deploy entire said group in current room (If it fits)?
    Yep, we can add something like this. Makes sense.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • That's been added. You can create and deploy an army.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2015
    You can create/deploy armies of soldiers. Not miners, though.

Edit: Oh, one further thing! Would also be really, really, really nice to be able re-order the numbers on LEGION LIST, sort of like how you can re-order messages to start from 1 via a command. These are all tiny little changes, but quality of life stuff is always nice.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Uh I have no idea how to mine. Seems complex. Explain? 

• Sarapis said:
    (And, and I'm monitoring the stone situation, and ramped up stone production earlier today, though stone at 35 is probably not going to happen.)
    Stone is at 200g a piece now on the market. The rate has to go up more? I need to build houses...
  • It's going up, but curiously, it's so far making no difference. Continuing to adjust. I suspect there are some short-term hoarding issues going on.
  • Sarapis said:
    It's going up, but curiously, it's so far making no difference. Continuing to adjust. I suspect there are some short-term hoarding issues going on.
    Yeah, I know I am hoarding what little I have, as I need to consider both hoarding some for housing and also having a stockpile for mining.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Watchman keep enough stone for two large mines, don't hoard the rest, spend the rest instantly on housing credits. Keep the number of 'available' stone as low as possible - might see more lodes this way
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    That's probably a good idea- to spend the stone on housing credits instantly. Seriously though, it's sitting at 200 gold in the comm market though?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Stone                               160gp                    100

still a ridic price. Not even wood went up that high when we were using wood. 

• Okay guys.  Here's how you get Wood Commodities.. You go to the Aalen.. Ask the Lumberjack for an axe... then proceed to butcher Forest/Jungle rooms for commodities until Nature enemies you.

In all seriousness, I kinda wanted to join in on Mining, but the upstart costs are ridiculous, and you HAVE to break even or make money ((Not including random attacks because HOI THERE))...  So, essentially, you have to be part of a big city/mining clan to get comms proper.  And Making houses got kind of ridiculous because now you can't get stone anywhere but mines... so you need coal to refine rawstone into stone, which requires a minecamp... So basically, to ever have a house it's kinda "Let me bleed you dry" until you can afford 1-2 rooms... or something similar.

Mining is complicated and ruined muh immurshun.
  • Basileios said:
    Okay guys.  Here's how you get Wood Commodities.. You go to the Aalen.. Ask the Lumberjack for an axe... then proceed to butcher Forest/Jungle rooms for commodities until Nature enemies you.

In all seriousness, I kinda wanted to join in on Mining, but the upstart costs are ridiculous, and you HAVE to break even or make money ((Not including random attacks because HOI THERE))...  So, essentially, you have to be part of a big city/mining clan to get comms proper.  And Making houses got kind of ridiculous because now you can't get stone anywhere but mines... so you need coal to refine rawstone into stone, which requires a minecamp... So basically, to ever have a house it's kinda "Let me bleed you dry" until you can afford 1-2 rooms... or something similar.

Mining is complicated and ruined muh immurshun.
    Mining is pretty cool, but the comm spawn rates need some tuning still. Took a long time to tune in commshops as well.
  • This just in, selling 70k stone at a 10g per discount, 150 per!