Make consumable items have slight but meaningful game mechanic ramifications

Hi there,

I think there is a fundamental problem with cooking: the stuff has only RP ramifications after lvl 80.

As I understand it, the Garden evaluates new foods and drinks and assigns value by ingredients. I suggest allowing modest game mechanic modifications by consuming certain foods. For example, a food could increase willpower or endurance regeneration until the person becomes fairly hungry, (or an amount of time has passed for a lvl 80+ character.) Another could hasten Rage build-up. Another one could be a nerfed version of the Boar tattoo and slightly regenerate health, though not at the level of full-blown health regen or the Boar rune itself. Another could slightly increase health or mana sip efficiency like a greatly nerfed version of a sip ring. Another could slightly increase Devotion, Essence or Karma build-up, though these would have to have a composition appropriate to what is being fulfilled. Another could slightly increase crit rate. It goes without saying that meaningful bonuses should require the recipe to have expensive ingredients. But, that WOULD enable people unable to afford artefacts to have bonuses by buying food and drink. And, it would give cooking a ton more game relevance, as well as allow people to specialize in cooking as a practical and useful trade skill, rather than a fun and RP-only trade skill.

I am not talking about bonuses that are as high as major trait bonuses or artefact bonuses or anything near that. Nor am I talking about anything resembling the potency of stuff like Lucky elixirs. I am talking about very slight increases that are meaningful but not great and which are affordable to people who are unable to buy artefacts. They should be worth it to efficient hunting but not a replacement for stuff like Lucky elixirs or artefacts. Still, the consumable items should have a potency range from small to great. And, the sheer number of Achaean game mechanics that could be affected would assure a lot of possibilities for this, if implemented.

There has been a lot of complaints that artefacts are inaccessible to some people, and I think this system, if properly calibrated, would allow such people interesting alternatives and a fighting chance. It would also make cooking a hell of a lot more relevant, and I think foster creativity. If a person is researching super-bread that increases endurance regeneration, that's not just good cooking but cooking with a touch of magic. The Cooking skill could be altered to allow the most beneficial possibilities at Trans or near it, as the best cooks in real life are the ones capable of culinary wonders.

Thank you for reading my idea.

Comments

• My understand is: the whole purpose of cooking is to be part of the roleplaying. This applies to the other crafting abilities as well (heraldry, tailoring, jewelery). Cooking actually has combat applications as it counters hunger afflictions. Now, giving more classes hunger afflictions would make food more of a requirement though most would probably opt for boring foods. 
  • edited August 2015
    How about instead of boar/moon-like, something already gated - regen levels, like a regen ring/berkana.

Food could do health, drinks mana. That way aside from one level of mana, it wouldn't help fully artied people and such - but would benefit those without.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Pretty sure Lusternia has some kind of system where food is more than just sustenance or for RP.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• i think this issue could be solved by making the nutritional lack of need you get from reaching logosian, optional. in other words, allow for sleep and hunger to continue decaying as if you ere level 79. Sleeping is a large part of my RP as a follower of valnurana, and in order to sleep for any reasonable amount of time I need to drain my endurance, which is really hard for me(a monk).
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Sarapis that'd be awesome, even if just to map the different dreams in special rooms (like the altar to Valnurana in hashan that gives special dreams, and I had the impression sleeping in the blue fog also gave special dreams)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• As long as it only applied when you actively enter the SLEEP command.
  • Or perhaps rather than something that simple, something you eat that will put you to sleep until you wish to wake up.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I'd actually prefer if it was something like being able to SLEEP at will, without the need for other special items, but maybe thats just me

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Sarapis said:
    Or perhaps rather than something that simple, something you eat that will put you to sleep until you wish to wake up.
    as long as it isn't a forceable command I suppose
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    Sarapis said:
    Or perhaps rather than something that simple, something you eat that will put you to sleep until you wish to wake up.
    as long as it isn't a forceable command I suppose
    SLEEP DEEPLY maybe, to avoid conflict with SLEEP.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Sarapis said:
    @Ula Would not be a problem to just let you 'sleep' until you hit WAKE once you're past level 80.

that would be the easiest way. PLEASE DO THIS.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Prefer a separate command, perhaps as an ability in Survival.

I like normal SLEEP having auto-wake at full health/endurance, and the "deliciously well-rested" message.
  • s
    Krypton said:
    Prefer a separate command, perhaps as an ability in Survival.

I like normal SLEEP having auto-wake at full health/endurance, and the "deliciously well-rested" message.

yeah, that's why I suggested the toggle. It could be a config option Auto-wake on full resources.. But that auto-waking is exactly the functionality thats gets in the way.

• Here ya go
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Would like to see special items in room like pillows/cushions and blankets decrease the time you have to sleep sub-80.
  • Tahquil said:
    Would like to see special items in room like pillows/cushions and blankets decrease the time you have to sleep sub-80.
    If this happens and anybody tries putting these in a grove, there is a high chance that they might somehow end up mushroomed by an anonymous, disapproving person.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• ... And make certain terrain types more uncomfortable to sleep in? (Indoors with a pillow is the best)
  • UlaUla
    edited August 2015
    i had an idea, that seems in the vein of this thread, so I am sharing it here. different comestibles from cooking could add a warpaint-esque aroma to your character for a time, either until washed, killed or an ig day or something? thoughts?

accompanying this the same trigger used for making people notice when you smell bad, could make people notice when you smell good, like with perfume.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    What if they made sleep like the current sit? Unless you enter it yourself, you still react to being prone etc
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."