City Economics

A question from a newbie: how exactly to city stewards gain cash flow? I remember reading somewhere that the ministry of war for a particular city goes out to capture territory, and for each room under the city's political influence, the city coffers gain a certain amount of gold each month. I was just curious as to how this actually works. Do player soldiers have to go out and manually capture territory, or is there some system in place for gaining soldier mobs and storing them in the city barracks? And, if so, how exactly is this accomplished? I haven't been able to find any help files detailing this system. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Well, for starters there are two basic positions of importance, the Steward and the Treasurer. The Steward releases funding from the city's coffers to the Treasury, and the Treasurer assigns those funds to the various Ministries that require them. This could be handled by a single person, but the job is split to help prevent any embezzling shenanigans.

For now, this is a basic overview as I understand it, so if you want more information feel free to ask. I'll elaborate as best as I can.

The coffers are where the city's money is stored, and anything donated to the city in terms of gold usually goes directly to the coffers with a few exceptions I'd be glad to detail later. City improvements and shop protection fees are paid out from the coffers, and not the Treasury. Consigning gold to the Treasury and appropriating bank fees into the coffers are the Stewards' basic jobs.

The Treasury is basically a bank fund that the Treasurer has access to. The Treasury only has access to the funds the Steward assigns to it. The Treasurer's basic job is to keep the Ministries funded whether it be directly from the Treasury or by moving funding from a Ministry that doesn't need it to one that is in need.

As for gold income, I'm unsure of that on a mechanical level. The economy log the Steward has access to only show me donations, credit sale payments, and a few other things. I'm also sure I don't see credit transactions on a city level, as recent events have made quite clear to me. Do note that there was once an old war system, but it's basically not used any more. That might be what you're reading.

• Thank you for the clarification and the timely response! I already understood most of the first section, but that last bit cleared a lot up. I was most likely reading about the old warfare system. Can cities still go to war and destroy each others' rooms, or is that mechanic now completely null and void?
  • There's a new war system out there, and there are room destruction mechanics. HELP CITY DESTRUCTION will probably help.

Keep in mind that anything I'm saying here is learned from me basically skimming the Econlogs and trying to figure out how everything worked out. So it's very possible that I could be wrong!
  • Either way, thank you for the assistance! You've been quite helpful.
  • edited August 2015
    There's no system for capturing territory or getting gold from villages. Players have proposed systems like that, which might be where you got the idea, but nothing like that currently exists in the game.

The main sources of income for cities that I can think of are:
    • When you use banks, the bank takes a small percentage of any gold you withdraw. For city banks, that fee goes to the city. The Steward handles this.
    • When someone buys credits with real money (as opposed to the in-game credit market), their city and house also get a percentage of their purchase (if I remember right, it's 6% for cities and 3% for houses? Maybe 6% for both or 3% for both, not entirely sure). Cities usually sell these credits to their citizens (sometimes all citizens, sometimes only those above a certain rank or who meet other requirements) at very low prices.
    • The city buys and sells commodities. The Trade Ministry handles this, setting buy/sell prices for the city comm shop, and often going out and buying cheap comms from other comm shops (or from other players) as well.
    • Taxes on shops in the city. The Chancellery handles this.
    • Looting gold from a city when you successfully detonate a tank in a sanctioned raid (see HELP CITY DESTRUCTION).
    Some smaller (probably; I've never really managed city funds so I can't be sure) income sources are:
    • Fines from people who break the city's laws.
    • Selling plots in the subdivision.
    • Donations and fundraisers.
    • Fees for using the city's arena.
    • Docking fees for the city's harbour.

With all of that, almost all ministries are in charge of some form of income.
  • Sena said:
    Some smaller (probably; I've never really managed city funds so I can't be sure) income sources are:
    • Fines from people who break the city's laws.
    • Selling plots in the subdivision.
    • Donations and fundraisers.
    • Fees for using the city's arena.
    • Docking fees for the city's harbour.
    Depends on how you count income. Is it income if it goes into the coffers or does it count if it goes into any function of the city? I generally go with the latter.

As far as I know:
    • Any gold put into the city with DEPOSIT <gold> CITY go straight into the coffers. So fines and donations generally go directly into the city's coffers.
    • Plot purchases go straight into the Ministry of Development's funding. Also interesting is that repairs for city destruction come from the Development fund.
    • The arena is... special. It has it's own fund, last I recall, and I know funding for the arena doesn't show up in the Econlogs.
    • I'm not sure if Hashan -has- a harbour, but if it does I've never seen anything from one in the econlogs. I can't really comment on this.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Hellen said:

• I'm not sure if Hashan -has- a harbour, but if it does I've never seen anything from one in the econlogs. I can't really comment on this.

we don't have a harbour, no, my idea for an event to dig a canal through the northern ithmia to make a harbour was declined :( 
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    we don't have a harbour, no, my idea for an event to dig a canal through the northern ithmia to make a harbour was declined :( 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_to_murder
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Sena said:
    • When someone buys credits with real money (as opposed to the in-game credit market), their city and house also get a percentage of their purchase (if I remember right, it's 6% for cities and 3% for houses? Maybe 6% for both or 3% for both, not entirely sure). Cities usually sell these credits to their citizens (sometimes all citizens, sometimes only those above a certain rank or who meet other requirements) at very low prices.
    Vice versa. Houses get more credits than cities, probably due to the smaller populations. Not sure if those percentages are right, but if so, it's 3% city, 6% house.
  • Pretty sure it's 3% for cities, 5% for houses.