Furniture / Housing Suggestions 2015

Hi all! This is a follow-up to @Jurixe's topic last year on furniture/housing upgrades. Since we've gotten some (but not all!) of our wishes come true, we thought we'd start this up again as per @Tecton's suggestion to see what else we can get  :D

Furniture

1) Display cases. Glass or otherwise with lids to open/close and an editable label.

2) Curtains / drapes (maybe with a push/pull function to allow different sets of messages for day/night time / weather?). This could be part of a window-upgrade option.

3) More container options: trunk, strongchest, barrel

4) More lighting options: Sconce and chandeliers

5) Other fixtures/deco items:
  • Rack
  • hammock
  • altars (can be designated/sanctified by respective Orders? Not a shrine, purely RP)
  • washbasin
  • mirror
  • mat
  • statue carving
  • pillar
  • bar

6) Material changes:Glass, cocobolo and other woods (reference vial shop in Eleusis for examples) and Crystal rather than crystal encrusted. And also inlay.

7) Playable instruments/interactive items

8) Artie winerack that generates a bottle (as per @Trey in previous topic)

Housing upgrades

1) Working bathtubs / bathrooms (because we do not want kelp growing in our tubs!)

2) House-wide doorbell/knocker 

3) Customisable house entrances instead of just a front door in

4) Pools/ponds instead of fountains

5) Furniture stasis: Currently way too expensive. 8 room credits for a single room not to lose its furniture? That'd only work if everyone has a one-room house and stuffed full of furniture. Better if the upgrade for stasis was sold on a bulk basis. For example, 2 room credits per room, but with a minimum of 5 assigned rooms.

6) Reduction of costs for out of sub housing and also reduction of penalty as well. Getting only a quarter of your investment back for destroying a room upgrade out of subs is *brutal*

Subdivision

1) Easier navigation of the subdivision would be greatly appreciated. Right now the subs are both a part of and yet apart from the city. It basically has all the weakpoints of being in an isolated, unguarded part of the city and takes time to get to and fro the area, making private housing an incredibly under utilized resource/goldsink. It would be nice if home owners could have token to show some security person at the entrance (like private apartments haha), and they can also request/revoke additional tokens for frequent guests or perhaps make it based on the front door's perms. Just tell/show him you want to go to X's house and you'll be transported there if you're allowed in the front door.

Servants

1) Maybe more servant types like gardeners and grooms.

2) Can we limit the rooms in which servants can wander? For example you only want your cook moving between the pantry and kitchen but not going into your bedroom. 

3a) Servant functionality: Cooks that can actually prepare designated recipes (yours or public), provided you give them the necessary ingredients. The food prepared will only last maybe an IC day or so before decaying so you can't use it as a cheap way to skip out on tradeskills. Gardeners gathering/harvesting your gardens for you.

3b) Several have asked for things like assigning butlers to replace sigils and such. I think such a thing might require upkeep, so perhaps personal houses may have a strongbox feature like on ships? Servants will automatically dip into those funds for things that need maintainence

4) More specific conditions for reactions such as reacting to a particular person rather than people who fall under a broad category of personal allies/enemies/orgs.

5) Also more options like this:

Jurixe said:
So I happened upon the journal in the Keep at Nicator's Crossing that has instructions on what the Lord of the Crossing can do in the keep.

I assume these aren't secrets, since the journal is public access, so:

(Page 2)
MANAGEMENT OF THE STAFF
-----------------------

In general, the servants at the keep work autonomously and do not need
to be given daily duties. There are a few occasional requests that you
may make of the staff directly:

Say to the steward "relieve the servants" and the staff will return to
their quarters, remaining there for the day. This is useful if you are
entertaining and do not wish the staff to be wandering about.

If you have relieved the servants and wish them to return to their
duties early, say to the steward "have the keep cleaned" and the staff
will be promptly sent back to work.

The cook is able to prepare a lavish feast for you and your guests; you
need only say "prepare a meal" and she will have it ready in about a
quarter of a day.

The gardener may be directed to "set out flowers" and several
arrangements of fresh flowers will be placed around the keep.

In the dining hall, simply saying "more wine" will alert an available
servant to fill a few goblets.

If you wish to grant access to the private rooms or authority over the
staff to your friends, family members, guests, etc., tell the steward
to:
  "grant authority over the staff to <person>"
  "grant access to the dungeon cell to <person>"
  "grant access to the storage room to <person>"
  "grant access to bedroom <1-4> to <person>"

To revoke this type of access or authority, tell the steward:
  "revoke authority over the staff from <person>"
  "revoke access to the dungeon cell from <person>"
  "revoke access to the storage room from <person>"
  "revoke access to bedroom <1-4> from <person>"

Telling the steward "who has access?" or "who has authority?" will
prompt him to list all individuals who have been granted each type of
permission.

Please give me all of this right now. ALL OF IT.

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yes.

All the yes. Yes yes yes.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • So much yes for altars, mirrors (YES PLS), and statues. So much RP potential here.

Artie winerack = Brilliant, especially if it is a housing thing and not something else I have to cart around in my already full INV.

More types of housing servants are high on my current list of do-wants along with that a house knocker or bell that rings throughout the house when someone is outside and wants in.

As for beds, I'm extremely unhappy that a city enemy status (that you may have done nothing to initially earn in some cases) can essentially cost you a non-refundable artefact. I would like to see beds become something you can trade-in, move or alter without having to essentially pay the price of a whole new bed again. I'd also like to see pillows be something you can purchase through somewhere other than Valnurana's order or the SoW.

• Bluef said:

As for beds, I'm extremely unhappy that a city enemy status (that you may have done nothing to initially earn in some cases) can essentially cost you a non-refundable artefact. I would like to see beds become something you can trade-in, move or alter without having to essentially pay the price of a whole new bed again. I'd also like to see pillows be something you can purchase through somewhere other than Valnurana's order or the SoW.

You can move the entire house - including the bed (though with an additional cost involved) - from one subdivision to another. Is that not a sufficient solution to the problem of being enemied to a city?
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2015
    Antonius said:
    Bluef said:

You can move the entire house - including the bed (though with an additional cost involved) - from one subdivision to another. Is that not a sufficient solution to the problem of being enemied to a city?

I have never heard of this before. I shall investigate immediately! Thank you @Antonius!

Scratch that. This is not reasonably priced or even possible for city enemies (probably purposefully so):

What does it cost?
    ------------------
    Permit - 50 bcr
    Relocation - 100 bcr
    Different sub - 100 bcr (obviously, I'm a city enemy)
    Artefact bed  - 100 bcr
    So all total, I will need to raid the city where my house/bed is located, then spend 350 credits to move the house and bed to another city. A new bed is just 50 credits more, no?

Another problem: Head to the plot outside your subdivision house and RELOCATE FROM HERE. But I'm an enemy, the plot is walled. I can't do this.

Like I said, cities holding artefacts hostage when someone has tried numerous times to get on better terms is shite. But not really a topic for here. Sorry to derail.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I seem to remember @Tecton or @Sarapis saying that they were considering making it so that people wanting to move their sub house did not have to go to the original plot of their house. Or something like that. Perhaps I misremember.

In any case, please yes. Yes to everything!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    So houses are neat I guess if you want a place you can afk or do stuff with 18 year olds with out anyone seeing you, until someone prisms in and it becomes a huge thing.

Houses are pretty boring unless let's face it your mudsexing, So let's add some flavor to it by making them extremely useful!

My suggestion is the ability to add a lab to your house, which then will allow you to create gleam by mixing the correct materials

It's a perfect idea because Gleam is so hard to come by and can't actually be made. and that since most cities will outlaw gleam it'll push the boundaries of security and privacy!

Also I feel that the Minister of Development should have the ability to completely condemn an area and make it inaccessible until the ministery of development uses it's funds to clean it up.
    -----

Also to be honest i've never tried gleam because of the withdraws but personally I think it should have some major good effects.

Increased strength,Increased Damage resistance,Increased dex, Also I feel it should make you incapable of being put to sleep (not just insomnia but you don't sleep..) of course all on a time. I think the increased strength damage resistance and dex should be a hour or a few maybe. but the sleeping thing should last for like three days.. three real life days.. yes. 

While lowering intellegence and Constitution. 

Also I think it would be neat if it had a deminished return the more you used it.

And make withdraws really bad to the point you start screaming for help because the elephants are chasing you.

• I do condemn areas, it's called city lock door in.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Achimrst said:
    I do condemn areas, it's called city lock door in.

Can still bypass that with raido/pathfinder/hermit and the such unless im mistaken.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Caladbolg said:
    Achimrst said:
    I do condemn areas, it's called city lock door in.

Can still bypass that with raido/pathfinder/hermit and the such unless im mistaken.
    not sure if that works when the plot is also walled
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited February 2015
    Edited: sorry, the thing I was going to suggest already exists.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Bumping this up to re-iterate my wish for a non-artefact bed. Because I live on a ship and a ship's nearly already about as private as you want to make it with comm screen give or take a layer. I'm not paying 475cr for what's essentially just a piece of furniture for me. It feels silly as anything to board your ship and then climb into your bed as though you hate interacting with the world that much. 

Would also like different colour configuration for furniture to make it stand out from other things. 

Also, any chance that we might one day fix this?

A mahogany chair with a covering of black leather is here. A mahogany ottoman with a covering of black leather sitting in front of a mahogany chair with a covering of black leather is here.

to

A mahogany chair with a covering of black leather is here; there is a mahogany ottoman with a covering of black leather sitting in front of it. 

It's still pretty clumsy phrasing but better than what we have right now. Pronouns are awesome guys :( 

• edited July 2015
    Skye said:
    A mahogany chair with a covering of black leather is here. A mahogany ottoman with a covering of black leather sitting in front of a mahogany chair with a covering of black leather is here.
    At the very least, that second sentence should be "A mahogany ottoman with a covering of black leather is here sitting in front of a mahogany chair with a covering of black leather.". Or just drop the "is here" from the sentence entirely and change "sitting" to "sits" or "is sitting".

The way it's written write now is insane. No human would ever write that.
  • Tael said:

The way it's written write now is insane. No intelligent human would ever write that.
    Fixed
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • edited July 2015
    Dortheron said:
    Tael said:

The way it's written write now is insane. No intelligent human would ever write that.
    Fixed
    I very much doubt any human ever has, or ever would, write that. It has nothing to do with intelligence or being a "good writer".

It's the same reason people don't write sentences like "The woman that the man that the bird flew over made dinner for got home from work at eight.".

Edit: Also I just noticed I wrote "written write now". Heh.
  • Kit wants torture equipment!
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• I don't really have a dog in the housing fight, but I do find it very odd that there are no valets or majordomos available as servants.
    Regarding the crystal ornament upgrade... I've considered getting one but the biggest deterrent is how much I hate spamming myself out. Unless having an ornament negates the ever so pervasive city/ship ambience messages, it means your special snowflake ornament is going to be competing with those messages + random mount/minipet/pet reaction messages + whatever items you happen to have that also have messages on top of everything else. That's spammy.

Hope whatever housing/furniture updates you guys put out will consider that as well.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited August 2015
    Can swings be a furniture item please? My house has two swings - one in the front yard and a porch swing on the balcony - and I'd like actual, you know, swings. (Yes, I'm secretly 5.)
    they already are. you can request them at the shop 

• Ooh! I had no idea. Thanks!
  • Let us add in mountable head displays. For instance, you go kill a grizzly bear them come and MOUNT GRIZZLY and it takes the head off of it, mounts it on a board and then hangs it on a wall. Could also have taxidermy options where it will mount the whole body. Would be perfect for smoking rooms or hunting lodges to have the heads of honors mobs on displayed on the wall. 
  • Is there still the taxidermy guy in Jaru? Could extend his range.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Remember that you can SWING SWING too.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Um, is there any mention of the fact that furniture looks boring? Cause I would like my couch with a covering of light green fabric to look less like that and more like a comfortable couch with throw pillows etc...
    And upholstery.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Well, I suggested a forging-like remake where you choosing certain specifications would add a sentence to the description of the furniture, but that got shot down. :( I felt like that was a good middle ground between admin oversight customisation and just plain and terrible boring.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Boo. I think the alternative should be This is a couch. It would have cost 20k more gold to make it the way I wanted and that description would have still been boring so instead you get a plain couch to sit on. 
  • Well, there doesn't seem to be admin oversight in servant customization, so I'm unsure it would be a problem. I would definitely throw 50k per furniture item just to customize, I wish that was an option. Also, yes to just about everything in this thread. These seem like very small changes that would make housing more awesome. Why not?

i'm a rebel

• Tesha said:
    Well, there doesn't seem to be admin oversight in servant customization, so I'm unsure it would be a problem. I would definitely throw 50k per furniture item just to customize, I wish that was an option. Also, yes to just about everything in this thread. These seem like very small changes that would make housing more awesome. Why not?
    I think the problem is that, while servants only ever show up in player homes, furniture can be placed in the larger, public world.

I think to make this work, they'd have to offer two kinds of furniture - the customisable one only being placeable in player houses.

It would also present something of a problem for people who already paid credits to customise furniture.