Announce 4399

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Grandue said:
     I could care less about dolls and figurines and mini-pets, those promotions suck in my opinion because I'm uninterested in those things but you don't see combatants insulting IRE and accusing them of greed and ruining the game they love
    I agree with pretty much everything you said in that post, but I have to point out that yes, yes you do see combatants accusing IRE of greed and ruining the game. Not all. Maybe not even many, but at the very least a very vocal minority.
    Huh. Neat.
    Kayeil said:
    A crown sale is WAAAY overdue. The demand has been high for a while for people wanting crowns for what's already in the SoW. Add new items and they'll be bringing in the cash.

Side note: I'm horribly sick and somehow wrote "Add nude items" but luckily I caught it before posting. :expressionless: 
    Plus there's been an utter lack of crown trades since they added all the new ones :(

I just want mah damned token, people.
    Huh. Neat.
  • ITT: use of the word immortality is OP. @Jhui  is a wretched villain for making so much fking money being a badass that he's a badass in a fake world. Slippery slope arguments. (I'll admit, don't want IRE sliding into strict pay to win, but this isn't it.) and people begging to get forceboarded (crown trade would be Christmas. Three ships just waiting to sink dat ass + a crown deal on each?! Christmas come early!)
  • Daeir said:
    Immortality notwithstanding (still think it'd be pretty ridiculous with smart use, lyre+lifestone on proc, swap mana prio and touch crystal tattoo shortly after safe), the other effects look to be pretty potent as well.
    The "delay death" (because, let's be frank, that's what it is) is reportedly incompatible with a crystal tattoo.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Daeir wasn't it stated before that you won't be able to use crystal tattoo while the immortality effect is active?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Daeir said:
    Tharvis said:
    @Daeir wasn't it stated before that you won't be able to use crystal tattoo while the immortality effect is active?
    If it was, I probably didn't see it. My chief issue with the locket is a combination of the mechanics offered on it and the way in which it is being presented to people, not just one single aspect of it. It looks to be largely useless until level 20 anyway, and thankfully not as strong as it appeared initially.
    But if that makes it a shit option then just don't buy it. I was relatively unimpressed by it and won't be scrambling to get a single shard, but if others -have- to have it, whatever. There are a zillion things in Achaea that I think are overpriced/stupid, but trying to convince everyone otherwise is just going to cause yourself grief. Personally I felt minipets were kinda gimmicky when the first round came down but people still love them so whatever. No need to accuse them of trying to assuage the populace to agree just when they say they like it, want it, and it's not OP. They're not trying to get you to buy one.
  • Daeir said:
    Can't we have an actively staffed and enjoyable Achaea that also doesn't frontload cool things into massively gated promotional purchases?

Crowns and the Shop of Wonders. Put the shards in the shop of wonder for two mayan crowns each, hold a tiered credit sale and HOLY SHIT MONEY. Actually, just having a tiered sale in general right now would probably have people (myself included) vomit cash into your bank accounts. Besides that, at least people have a chance of slowly plodding their way to a locket through in-game methods as well instead of being limited solely to credits.

I'm not one to harp on about doing what you need to do to survive as a business, and I definitely don't want to see Achaea go down the sinkhole. Not asking you to put stuff out there for free, and if this is what you need to do to keep on trucking, then I've got no choice really but to shut up and put up about it.
    Most of you don't really understand what actually sells (and you don't have the data either, of course), and what people suggest would sell well is almost always what the person suggesting it wants to buy on discount (no idea if that's the case here or not). Crown sales, for instance, have always made for terrible months. 

I would love to simply stop doing monthly promotions altogether when they involve new content, because they're an enormous drain on resources every month, across five games, and spend that energy on just adding permanent content to the games instead. But it's simply not financially viable as far as we've seen.
  • PraxidesPraxides Kansas, USA
    edited August 2015
    Daeir said:
    If it was, I probably didn't see it. My chief issue with the locket is a combination of the mechanics offered on it and the way in which it is being presented to people, not just one single aspect of it. It looks to be largely useless until level 20 anyway, and thankfully not as strong as it appeared initially.
    I think it appeared strong primarily because of the fact that no one read the announce past the word "immortality". Sure, another word probably suits it better, but if people read instead of jumping onto the bandwagon of "OMG SO BROKEN" and basically posting inane repeats of what the previous posters had said there would be much less misinformation about what it does and does not do being thrown around.
    Crowns and the Shop of Wonders. Put the shards in the shop of wonder for two mayan crowns each, hold a tiered credit sale and HOLY SHIT MONEY. Actually, just having a tiered sale in general right now would probably have people (myself included) vomit cash into your bank accounts. Besides that, at least people have a chance of slowly plodding their way to a locket through in-game methods as well instead of being limited solely to credits.
    I also don't understand your rants in combination with your request for it to be sold for two crowns; with the way it is now, you've been saying how obnoxious it will be if people are rolling around with level 20 lockets, but wouldn't it be a more common occurrence if they were selling them the way you claim would make you happy?

Globes are more fun (in my mind) than buying crowns, so I agree to disagree there. I'm sure there's others who like the concept of a somewhat cheap gamble for more credits, arties, pets, talismans and the whole slew of other stuff that comes with globes - or the ability to buy a couple globes and sell them for more credits than they would have got with that same amount of cash.

• Makarios said:

Reactions a bit extreme here. To approach it from a different perspective:

Under level 20, it is heartstop. You are going to die, and to add insult to injury your killer is going to get credited anyway. They can literally walk away if they feel like it and call it a day. If they feel like killing you anyway (which, of course, any upstanding murderous Achaean does) they can just keep hitting you, as when it fires it returns you to very low health.

At level 20, it becomes a vastly inferior version of vitality. It isn't at all like soulcage, because you will retain all of your current afflictions, gain a slight amount of health, and have the clause that if you don't manage to max out your health again you are going to die. In fact, the only relation to soulcage that the ability has is that it disables it (and transmogrify) upon firing, and will always fire before them, basically removing them from the equation entirely.

It also does not stop instakills and only fires off of direct damage (like vitality, basically) and has a 24 hour cooldown (which before anyone asks, you cannot circumvent by making it fire directly before a day change or some such).

Put in perspective, vitality restores around 3 times as much health, has 0 drawbacks, and has a cooldown measured in minutes rather than hours. We have also sold vitality artefacts in the past (typically owned by some of the tankiest people in the game) and they have proved pretty much a nonissue in terms of combat balance. I'd wager most people don't even realise who own them, they are so small an issue.

If you can find a situation where this is actually a problem in terms of mechanics, I'd personally love to hear about it, and I mean that in all seriousness.

What the hell man.  Get back to doing classleads.  @Daeir is griefing our leads. Time to guard raid targ.
  • I recall from other threads that @Sarapis has said that globe promos are generally the biggest credit selling promos by a significant margin, and based off the amount of people marketing things that come from globes I expect that is still the case.

Unlimited cap purchase bonuses will probably never lose to a 2000cr cap bonus scheme.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• It's not a powerful thing.

It's not broken.

The gift boxes from last December are more powerful than a level 20 locket.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jhui said:
    Makarios said:

Reactions a bit extreme here. To approach it from a different perspective:

Under level 20, it is heartstop. You are going to die, and to add insult to injury your killer is going to get credited anyway. They can literally walk away if they feel like it and call it a day. If they feel like killing you anyway (which, of course, any upstanding murderous Achaean does) they can just keep hitting you, as when it fires it returns you to very low health.

At level 20, it becomes a vastly inferior version of vitality. It isn't at all like soulcage, because you will retain all of your current afflictions, gain a slight amount of health, and have the clause that if you don't manage to max out your health again you are going to die. In fact, the only relation to soulcage that the ability has is that it disables it (and transmogrify) upon firing, and will always fire before them, basically removing them from the equation entirely.

It also does not stop instakills and only fires off of direct damage (like vitality, basically) and has a 24 hour cooldown (which before anyone asks, you cannot circumvent by making it fire directly before a day change or some such).

Put in perspective, vitality restores around 3 times as much health, has 0 drawbacks, and has a cooldown measured in minutes rather than hours. We have also sold vitality artefacts in the past (typically owned by some of the tankiest people in the game) and they have proved pretty much a nonissue in terms of combat balance. I'd wager most people don't even realise who own them, they are so small an issue.

If you can find a situation where this is actually a problem in terms of mechanics, I'd personally love to hear about it, and I mean that in all seriousness.

What the hell man.  Get back to doing classleads.  @Daeir is griefing our leads. Time to guard raid targ.

Don't you worry at all.

Telepathy ones are up next.

• Brb going int monk.
  • Makarios said:

At level 20, it becomes a vastly inferior version of vitality.

But is that actually the case? Unless the AB description on the wiki is out of date, Vitality does not fire at 0 health, but only when you cross a low health threshold (and will not work if you go straight through that threshold to 0 health). If you are taken instantly from full health to 0 you still die, yes? This is unlike Immortality.

Thus, my concern with damage-based finishers. With those it is quite common to bypass vitality entirely, which would not be the case with the immortality effect.

With it, a disembowel that would otherwise kill the target through damage (even from full health, for some Runewardens) would fail to do so. Meanwhile, classes that rely on non-damage finishers would be completely unaffected. This is cause for concern, particularly since many of these damage-based finishers are just as difficult to execute as others unaffected by this new time.

Or, if you prefer, imagine a scenario with top fighters of different classes, say a Serpent and a Runewarden, both with this new item at level 20. If the Runewarden executes a perfect torso disembowel, the Serpent has a very good chance of escaping and resetting the fight. Conversely, the Serpent has at least two options to kill the Runewarden that would bypass Immortality entirely. Thus, class balance is most definitely affected by this new effect.

This is, of course, assuming damage-based finishers don't bypass Immortality.

Thank you.
  • Jhui said:
    Did you guys really expect @Daeir to not be a negative drama-queen?  It's pretty much one of the guarantees we've come to expect on forums.

What people aren't realizing is exactly what Praxides is saying, but also the side-effect of what she's saying.

These lockets are essentially just super shiny, but shitty toys that people are paying huge amounts for.  This promotion helps out the little guy, not the big guys.  The value of globes just skyrocketed if you get a shard and sell it.  I doubt the little people care much about the locket, but they could siphon some of the credits away from the big guys and never have to care what they are missing out on.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy if I were trying to get basic skills/arties right now. Globes seem to be worth quite a lot, in addition to the amounts you could earn from mining. Definitely more ways available to level the playing field lately.

Whereas... I'm kinda embarrassed on how much I've spent to try to get this locket working. Any of the people complaining about the locket being OP would probably be pissed off at how weak it is if they actually bought one.

Rare minerals were a much bigger thing than this!

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Wait, so people already have a level 20 locket?  Wow, I am a late starter.  Not even my first piece yet.  I need to get on it tonight.  Any chance someone can post what it looks like when you "die"?
  • You only need lvl 3 to first get immortality. Not sure if anyone has lvl 20. I thought they were just complaining about it.
    Sarapis said:
    Daeir said:
    Can't we have an actively staffed and enjoyable Achaea that also doesn't frontload cool things into massively gated promotional purchases?

I'm not one to harp on about doing what you need to do to survive as a business, and I definitely don't want to see Achaea go down the sinkhole. Not asking you to put stuff out there for free, and if this is what you need to do to keep on trucking, then I've got no choice really but to shut up and put up about it.
    Most of you don't really understand what actually sells (and you don't have the data either, of course), and what people suggest would sell well is almost always what the person suggesting it wants to buy on discount (no idea if that's the case here or not). Crown sales, for instance, have always made for terrible months. 

I would love to simply stop doing monthly promotions altogether when they involve new content, because they're an enormous drain on resources every month, across five games, and spend that energy on just adding permanent content to the games instead. But it's simply not financially viable as far as we've seen.
    We're suggesting crown sales not because we want to buy them at a discount, but because we want to buy them, period. Crowns are in very short supply right now, it seems.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Solution: Put crowns in globes.

Valkyn said:
    Solution: Put crowns in globes.
    YES
    PLEASE
    WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE
    Huh. Neat.
  • Crowns used to be in globes, at least during the first promo I remember with them.

• Going to have my tailoring designs decaying if I don't get crowns for a folder soon. :( Or paying heaps to upkeep them.

• Also have they taken out those annoying reincarnations, or is it just me getting lucky and not getting any recently? Those were horrible. 

Valkyn said:
    Also have they taken out those annoying reincarnations, or is it just me getting lucky and not getting any recently? Those were horrible. 
    Trait resets were worse :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • Valkyn said:
    Also have they taken out those annoying reincarnations, or is it just me getting lucky and not getting any recently? Those were horrible. 
    Ahmet said:
    Valkyn said:
    Trait resets were worse :(
    Trait resets and reincarnations are only received once - if you don't have them. If you have them, you don't get them anymore.

• edited August 2015
    @Jhui : There's some stuff in there that's pretty good, just depends on what your NEEDS are. For me, the big draw is the locket can cure being toasted by alcohol. It's good RP to get completely and totally shitfaced because if you do it right you can be very funny. The problem is, when the situation changes, you're basically unable to function. I heard somewhere that arena deaths no longer cure inebriation -- if that's wrong, then what I am saying is wrong too. If it's not wrong, the locket, for me, is a good buy.

That's the thing about the locket, it's multi-function. I am not sure the "immortality" is all that great but some of that stuff has uses. It just probably doesn't have much use to you because you spend a lot of time fighting.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I think globes coupled with a tiered crown sale would be amazing. You buy globes, you get your globe things. You buy straight credits, you get crowns. Double up on sale potential. :)