Announce 4399

Comments

• Aepas said:
    While it can be used once a day, it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed death for raid groups going against it. Most engagements are decided after a few seconds, if some key people die. If you've got one guy that's going to be tanking for 30 seconds without much consequence, well that's like having a group hit a prismatic barrier for that long. And that's just gonna be a bad day.

If Jhui can tank for 30 seconds with 2000 health or something and wasn't afflicted at all in a way to keep him from escaping/healing.

Seems to realistically buy like 1-2 seconds of time in a raid situation, once per RL day.

• edited August 2015
    Aepas said:
    While it can be used once a day, it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed death for raid groups going against it. Most engagements are decided after a few seconds, if some key people die. If you've got one guy that's going to be tanking for 30 seconds without much consequence, well that's like having a group hit a prismatic barrier for that long. And that's just gonna be a bad day.
    Not quite true.
    That guy won't be taking for 30 seconds. He'll basically be tanking maybe one or two extra shots before he hits 0h again and dies. In raids with 4-5 people targetting the same guy means he stays alive probably an extra 0.5-3 seconds with 'immortality' mode activated.

It would make more sense to use this perk in 1v1 or PvE than in raids.

On that note: speaking with Tecton he said you can't use crystal tattoo while in 'immortality' mode. Things like Apathy and Numb are being watched closely to see if tweaks need to be made. They are also considering making it so once 'immortality' is activated the person cannot leave the room.

I would be interested in seeing how much this 'small amount of hp' you get back in Immortality mode is. 3 - 5% of max hp?
  • If only I had money for credits this month.

Oh well, new camera is why I'm broke and it was totally worth it.

• Valkyn said:

Which?
  • Sarapis said:
    Valkyn said:

Which?
    Nikon d5500. 

• Achilles said:
    Wow seems like a stupid and unnecessary promotion
    The bolded is exactly what the quoted post is.

• Not sure why people are overreacting so harsh to this item. It's really not that big of a deal.

It's a once-a-day thing, which inherently makes it worse than a Mog/Cage, not to mention will kill you if you don't have the level 20 and sip to full health/mana within the timeframe.

Quit bitching. It's fine.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • This will mean effectively nothing in group combat, know why?
    3. Your health is set to a very low level, any afflictions and effects on your person remain.
    This means pinshot, locked status, sensitivity, etc, will all still be there. The odds you survive for even a full second extra in group combat is extremely low. This is designed as a convenience item with cool flavor, that will occasionally save you when bashing because you hit too much stuff and would have died, but you managed to get out and 30s later you can start again, or ink/touch a starburst while you wait to die.

It might have very minor effects in 1v1 with damage strategies, but if you're the kind of person who uses promo items in 1v1 then this is the least offensive thing you likely do.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Meh, this is a forum. Let people have their opinions on stuff. Personally, I don't particularly like it, myself, but hey, if it helps the game...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Ruth said:
    I'm going to a special place of hell. I also bought the polecat and it's too cute for me. I will overtake Carmain as the best Dreadlord zookeeper.

(Sartan please don't kill me. >.<)
    All the Dreadlords are dead. They died to Bell Helmet or whatever her name was. Except that one that is loyal to Gaia now. But we don't talk about him, do we Ruth? DO WE?!
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    99% sure Mhaldor has a Dreadlord in the Cathedral, just milling around.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
    Also on topic, i feel like this item is a buff for Mhaldor, Ashtan and Eleusis and it will be annoying for Targ, Hashan and Cyrene to deal with it considering current classes in each city, available instantkills and/or relative competencies. 

Anything that nets me an advantage is fine by me.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Kinilan said:
    Ruth said:
    I'm going to a special place of hell. I also bought the polecat and it's too cute for me. I will overtake Carmain as the best Dreadlord zookeeper.

(Sartan please don't kill me. >.<)
    All the Dreadlords are dead. They died to Bell Helmet or whatever her name was. Except that one that is loyal to Gaia now. But we don't talk about him, do we Ruth? DO WE?!
    I think I know the one you mean. I remember doing a double-take when I saw him.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I can see it being an issue with monks, considering they'd still have the ability to spam transmute mana into health and buy more time. For other classes, probably won't be a big deal, except maybe in 1v1 situations.
  • Alrena said:
    I can see it being an issue with monks, considering they'd still have the ability to spam transmute mana into health and buy more time. For other classes, probably won't be a big deal, except maybe in 1v1 situations.

Not if you have to be at full health and mana.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Alrena said:
    I can see it being an issue with monks, considering they'd still have the ability to spam transmute mana into health and buy more time. For other classes, probably won't be a big deal, except maybe in 1v1 situations.

Not if you have to be at full health and mana.
    Transmute would buy more time to potentially escape or simply soak up more damage, especially adding in numb! Not necessarily certain they'll survive, but still!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Mishgul said:
    99% sure Mhaldor has a Dreadlord in the Cathedral, just milling around.
    excuse me, that dreadlord became the legates' tutor
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

You are excused >(

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited August 2015
    My concern is that this amounts to a nerf for classes which rely on damage to effect their kills, especially damage-based finishers.

For example, the primary kill path for Runewardens is the torso/leg prep disembowel. If disembowel triggers immortality, then a good fighter will generally be able to get in a sip before the runie recovers balance and flee the battle, denying the kill (this is especially true in this example, as generally speaking the victim's leg will be healed at that point). With a level 20 item, there is a good chance the victim would have time to flee and fully heal before the 30 seconds are out.

Regardless of how rarely it can be used, this item does provide a second chance against the kill path of several classes (some of which would be more survivable than others), while leaving those who use instant finishers largely unaffected. I do not see how this would benefit class balance.

One solution, however, would be to make these damage-based finishers bypass immortality much like instant kills do, at least when they are properly executed (for example, a disembowel when the victim had a damaged leg when impaled could bypass immortality, whereas a random lucky disembowel with healthy legs - such as during a group fight - would not).

Thank you.
  • I see now. I was under the impression at first that it was just 0 health, but you keep on living for X amount of time.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited August 2015
    @Itkovian: It sounds like they've already considered this:

* Death is only suspended in cases where you normally die to damage.
    * Instakills and related "finisher" abilities will not trigger the defence.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it, but "related "finisher" abilities" seems like it would include things like BBT and disembowel, that aren't outright instakills but are intended to be the end goal of a class combat strategy.

That said, I'm still not sure I like it. Disembowel isn't always sufficient to outright kill. Instead you'd need the extra damage from a battleaxe doubleslash, or the bleeding damage caused by disembowel, or the damage from them tumbling out late and hitting engage to actually get the kill, and those sound like they'd all be negated by Immortality.

Perhaps a shortish duration after one of these "finisher" abilities in which Immortality can't proc, so that in those situations you're still not being cheated out of a kill. For example, for four seconds after being disembowelled Immortality can't proc, so if you don't die from the disembowel itself but do die from the bleeding, or from the follow up attack, you still don't get to survive.
  • give a message when immortality hits? that way if you know you properly killed them in a 1v1 fight, you could just walk away and let them ponder their life choices for a moment.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited August 2015
    Ahmet said:
    I don't get why they'd create something so insane as immortality and throw it on this already needlessly overloaded monthly promo gachapon thing, instead of, say, making it a Trans ability for a new pirate class.
    I really don't think people are reading the fine print. ITS NOT IMMORTALITY. It's literally a starburst, but a million times worse, cause it kills you after the time ends (unless you ahve a lvl 20, in which case you have 30 seconds to sip to full health AND mana, or you still die), and it gives you very little health, and guess what? If you hit zero health again, you die. It's not overpowered. It's actually underpowered for what people are going to be paying for it :S
    @Ahmet : I disagree wholeheartedly. It's not underpowered because the immortality function is not the sole function. You also have other functions, such as rage, willpower, satiation, etc. This is a multipurpose item with the nerfed starburst being only one of the options available.

Even if you're not using it for that, the other stuff will come in handy. If you are paying 50 cr a piece, that's 1000 credits for an item that is "cool" and "interesting" item (which a lot of people appreciate in a leisure activity of any sort) and also provides some useful functions, and let's face it, with all that taken into consideration it's not all that much worse than other 1000 cr items in the Delosian artie shops.

I do hope that 1. it becomes available in a later time for people that can't get it now and 2. I hope that @Sarapis and @Tecton alter it slightly to have the ability to Reset later in the totem pole so that people can gift it. I agree with others in this thread that a locket with your portrait in it makes sense as a gift more than something to keep for yourself. At the very least, allow the locket to have another person's portrait even if it cannot be gifted. Then your wifey/husband provides the power, which is great RP.

Overall, it's not Profit's lvl 2 veil, but it's hardly worthless in my opinion. Just my two cents.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Silvarien said:
    Ahmet said:
    I don't get why they'd create something so insane as immortality and throw it on this already needlessly overloaded monthly promo gachapon thing, instead of, say, making it a Trans ability for a new pirate class.
    I really don't think people are reading the fine print. ITS NOT IMMORTALITY. It's literally a starburst, but a million times worse, cause it kills you after the time ends (unless you ahve a lvl 20, in which case you have 30 seconds to sip to full health AND mana, or you still die), and it gives you very little health, and guess what? If you hit zero health again, you die. It's not overpowered. It's actually underpowered for what people are going to be paying for it :S
    @Ahmet : I disagree wholeheartedly. It's not underpowered because the immortality function is not the sole function. You also have other functions, such as rage, willpower, satiation, etc. This is a multipurpose item with the nerfed starburst being only one of the options available.

Even if you're not using it for that, the other stuff will come in handy. If you are paying 50 cr a piece, that's 1000 credits for an item that is "cool" and "interesting" item (which a lot of people appreciate in a leisure activity of any sort) and also provides some useful functions, and let's face it, with all that taken into consideration it's not all that much worse than other 1000 cr items in the Delosian artie shops.

I do hope that 1. it becomes available in a later time for people that can't get it now and 2. I hope that @Sarapis and @Tecton alter it slightly to have the ability to Reset later in the totem pole so that people can gift it. I agree with others in this thread that a locket with your portrait in it makes sense as a gift more than something to keep for yourself. At the very least, allow the locket to have another person's portrait even if it cannot be gifted. Then your wifey/husband provides the power, which is great RP.

Overall, it's not Profit's lvl 2 veil, but it's hardly worthless in my opinion. Just my two cents.
    Aye, but 90% of the people who are complaining about it are focusing on the starburst option alone. So... that's what I went with.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Silvarien said:
    Ahmet said:

Aye, but 90% of the people who are complaining about it are focusing on the starburst option alone. So... that's what I went with.
    @Ahmet : Well, I figure, if all the major combatants want it, it can't be that terrible. Somebody like @Jhui won't spend 1000 cr on something that's combat oriented but is total crap and worthless. As for me, I am a non-comm, so all the starbursts on the planet won't keep me alive against someone like Jhui. I personally just like the RP aspect of it, and as a RP person, I think it has value.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Silvarien said:
    Ahmet said:
    Silvarien said:
    Ahmet said:

@Ahmet : Well, I figure, if all the major combatants want it, it can't be that terrible. Somebody like @Jhui won't spend 1000 cr on something that's combat oriented but is total crap and worthless. As for me, I am a non-comm, so all the starbursts on the planet won't keep me alive against someone like Jhui. I personally just like the RP aspect of it, and as a RP person, I think it has value.
    I agree, but was pointing out to the people complaining, who had just seen the word immortality and skipped over the rest, that it's not ridiculously overpowered like they believe, and that they need to slow down and think!
    Huh. Neat.
  • KeiKei
    edited August 2015
    On a less overpowered note, am I the only one getting a little teensy bit of a Picture of Dorian Gray vibe from this item?

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."