Announce 4399

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4399                                     (08/04/2015 at 01:50)  
From   : Tecton the Terraformer
To     : Everyone
Subject: Globe updates!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The time is here! Globes of Shifting Continents have been refreshed with some exciting new wares! Here's all of the details of the new items:

* Two new minipets! You could find a wiry polecat kit or a gangly ibis in your globe!

* Our major new addition is a bloodstained shard of enamel - what is this, you ask? Well, its a reagent to create and upgrade a special item that's only available for the duration of this promotion.

When you get your first shard, you can SLICE PALM WITH <shard> to create a very special item. Your blood will mix with the enamel shard to form a locket with your picture inside.  This locket, and the portrait inside, will be linked to you, bestowing a variety of special powers. Additional powers will unlock as you obtain additional shards, then FUSE <shard> INTO <locket>, upgrading the portrait and the powers.

There is a cost to these powers though: The locket must be fuelled by your very being. Once every 24 RL hours, you can CARESS <locket> to imbue it with your blood. The varying skills will use a portion (or all) of the stored blood power.

There's 20 levels of locket - here's a list of the powers that come with each level:
Level 1:  Creation of the locket.
Level 2:  The locket no longer decays.
Level 3:  SOLICIT LOCKET FOR IMMORTALITY - Death is suspended for 5 seconds after you die (** See note below **) (100% power usage)

Level 4:  The locket now resets to you.
Level 5:  SPIN LOCKET - changes the appearance of your locket to one of 7 different themed versions. Usable once per day.
Level 6:  Immortality now lasts 10 seconds.
Level 7:  SOLICIT LOCKET FOR REST - Draw your fatigue into your portrait, refreshing your tiredness. (33% power usage)
Level 8:  SOLICIT LOCKET FOR SATIATION - Trade satiation with your portrait, quenching your hunger. (33% power usage)
Level 9:  Immortality now lasts for 15 seconds.
Level 10: SOLICIT LOCKET FOR SOBRIETY - Cleanse yourself of all alcoholic effects. (Does not work in drinking contests.) (33% power usage)
Level 11: Caressing the locket now has a lower cost.
Level 12: Immortality now lasts 20 seconds.
Level 13: SOLICIT LOCKET FOR ENDURANCE - Gain 5% of your maximum endurance. (50% power usage)
Level 14: SOLICIT LOCKET FOR WILLPOWER - Gain 5% of your maximum willpower. (50% power usage)
Level 15: Immortality now lasts 25 seconds.
Level 16: SOLICIT LOCKET FOR RAGE - Store/retrieve your rage in your portrait. (33% power usage)
Level 17: SOLICIT LOCKET FOR TATTOOS - Freeze your tattoos on your portrait, preventing automatic fading for an hour. (33% power usage)
Level 18: Immortality now lasts 30 seconds.
Level 19: Soliciting your locket for willpower or endurance now imbues you with 10% of your maximum stat..
Level 20: Immortality will no longer kill you, should you reach your full health and mana before immortality fades.

** Note **
* Death is only suspended in cases where you normally die to damage.

* Instakills and related "finisher" abilities will not trigger the defence.
* Being killed in the immortal timeframe will kill the victim normally.
* Immortality will bypass any SOULCAGE (Necromancy) or TRANSMOGRIFY (Occultism) defences that you have when it activates.
* Immortality will not work in the arena.
* There may be further balancing tweaks to this power in the future.

Don't forget that globes also contain a slew of other potential prizes, including credits, artefact discounts, artefacts, customisations and many more! Head over to http://www.achaea.com/credits to pick your globes up today!

Penned by My hand on the 4th of Scarlatan, in the year 690 AF.

Rito pls. Too many OP minipets.

Comments

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I just want the locket at level 5!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I wish the resetting part was a bit later because something like this would be nice to give to other people - I don't think many people wear lockets of themselves! I would have loved to get one of these from people I'd wear one of, or hang them up in homes. But I still want the changing theme thing!

I have no comment on the combat implications of these so I'll leave that to other people. It would've been nice if it was just cosmetic though, I think.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Wouldn't mind a locket, but how much are the shards going to go for, assuming they're tradeable? Twenty levels could be pricey.

And I assume that immortality before level 20 will ultimately just kill you after the timer expires?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sarathai said:
    Wouldn't mind a locket, but how much are the shards going to go for, assuming they're tradeable? Twenty levels could be pricey.

And I assume that immortality before level 20 will ultimately just kill you after the timer expires?
    Correct, just delays the inevitable. Even at level 20, it's not guaranteed.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Wow seems like a stupid and unnecessary promotion
  • Well, lets all buy shards for the top tier to pay us through the nose in credits for so they can tank whole groups!
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited August 2015
    I presume it was sort of to encourage people to buy more globes to upgrade it further and get more revenue. 

That being said, though, would it be possible to get cosmetic versions of these? One that you can buy and give of yourself to other people and has non-decay, resetting, and the theme changing. Don't need any of the rest! I think a lot of the noncom players would be much more interested in it that way.

Just as a suggestion though, I think more cosmetic items would be really nice for future promotions. A lot of people liked the promotions where you got cool little things like the tankard on a chain, compass, firefly, present, stocking etc. I'm still vainly hoping for a housing-related promotion but hope springs eternal.

Also someone please post the locket desc when you get one!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Good morning everyone!
    I'm just going to post here some of the information I've gathered from Tecton to hopefully eliminate some misconceptions about the Immortality Mode found on these lockets.

First of all, Immortality is a bit misleading of a name. I think it's much better to think of it as 'Glass Cannon' or 'Beserker' modes.

What usually happens:
    You get damaged to death and die. The end.

Activated Immortality mode:
    When you get damaged to death immortality activates. Depending on what tier you are on you get an extra 5-30 seconds to land that finishing blow on a denizen or your foe. During this time you get a small percentage of health back and (ignoring level 20 for now) after the allotted time you die.

HOWEVER - Should you take any damage during this 5-30 seconds you die immediately. No waiting out the timer, no zhonya's hourglass, just death. This makes it super risky to use in group pvp situations as you usually have people focusing on the one member and they might have the ability to be in the immortal mode for 25 seconds if someone hits them 2 seconds into the activation they die right there and then. Some little newb can come along and newb punch you or you could get an unlucky bleed tick and you're down.

I hope that answers some questions.
  • edited August 2015
    (Market): Jhui says, "Paying 30cr per globe."
    (Market): Ruth says, "Sell me four shards and globes! Also purchasing a gangly ibis."
    (Market): Bronislav says, "I'm the only Cyrenian who's eager to cut himself, and I'm less likely to 
    make your life hell with it. Gimmie shards."
    (Market): Seragorn says, "Also paying for shards, and globes."
    (Market): Proficy says, "Paying for or trading for shards

(Market): Amranu says, "Buying shards."

(Market): Jhui says, "Buying shards for more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-aAx4SOn0

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4400                                     (08/04/2015 at 02:57)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Lockets and "immortality"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since there seems to be some confusion about the immortality power, this is just a quick clarification post about it!

It's not true "immortality", more of a slight postponement of the inevitable. Here's what happens with the immortality power active:
       1. You receive a non-instakill attack that brings you to 0 health.
       2. The ability fires, giving you and people in the room a message that it fires.
       3. Your health is set to a very low level, any afflictions and effects on your person remain.
       4. You continue the fight as normal until either:
          a) Receive an attack that brings you to 0 health again.
          b) You get instakilled.
          c) The immortality power fails.
          d) You heal up to full health/mana (with a level 20 locket only).

• Curious about something with the locket, reading it over. It says that if you're killed in the immortal timeframe, you die as per normal. Mechanically, then, does this mean that if immortality activates, you just go back to full health (or whatever) for X seconds before dying, and if you're killed again, or by a finisher move, or whatever, you just die? Or are you actually unkillable for as long as the immortality timer is running, and if so, what kills you?

Could do with some specific examples of how this is supposed to work.

@Tecton
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• the immortality seems pretty inconsequential, especially given the rate it can be used, which is probably where it should be.

Not sure why people are mad.  If anything it makes the globes have more value for the ordinary person just because the big credit people want a shiny new toy that doesn't do a whole lot.

Yes, you die normally in that situation. Dying will cancel the remained of the "immortal" time window.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Pretty much, its like a vitality proc that kills you if you don't have level 20 and get to full health and mana within 30 seconds?  How much are shard pieces going for?
  • edited August 2015
    So it's a bit like having an extra weakened starburst that kills you after X seconds, unless you've got a level 20 one and can get back up to full before the timer expires. Interesting.

• Should make it eat XP anyway.

Punish those big spenders.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Tecton does the deathsight show as what you first died to, or what you died to in Immortality mode?
    Tahquil said:
    @Tecton does the deathsight show as what you first died to, or what you died to in Immortality mode?
    Yep, will correctly credit the killer.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited August 2015
    An antique portrait locket
    Heavy tarnish lends this clasped locket and its simple chain a grimy grey hue, little of any initial shine remains and the original metal is unremarkable and unidentifiable. Almost frozen through lack of use, the hinges move with coaxing and a squeal of protest to reveal a scratched oval of black enamel clasped by four jagged fang prongs. No embellishment aggrandises this simple piece of jewellery, its outer surfaces bear only the hallmarks of disuse and disregard.

For how difficult the shards are to get, the description is incredibly disappointing. There's not even an actual portrait of you in the locket, which cannot be opened!

Also, ibis:

A gangly ibis lingers here, poking his long, curved beak about in an exploratory manner.

Perched upon two black, gangly legs, the bulbous body of this ibis is covered in pearly white feathers. Folded neatly, the bird's wings are fringed with dark feathers that bob lazily through the air as he ambles about. The graceful neck of the ibis is almost as long as his body, supporting a dainty skull. Two beady eyes peer from the base of a long, curved bill, perpetually examining the surroundings with a curious gaze.
    A gangly ibis looks relatively helpless.
    He has 100% health remaining.
    He weighs about 17 pounds.
    He is loyal to Ruth.
    A gangly ibis is holding:
    Nothing.
    It will reset to you.

You greet a gangly ibis with a sincere smile.
    A gangly ibis waddles briskly over to you, his wings flapping excitedly.

You pet a gangly ibis ingratiatingly.
    Angling his head to stare at you directly with tiny, beady eyes, a gangly ibis cuddles happily in towards your touch.

You beckon to a gangly ibis.
    A gangly ibis ambles lazily over and begins to trail behind you, though not before essaying an exploratory peck at your ankles.

• PraxidesPraxides Kansas, USA
    edited August 2015
    Here's the polecat:
    Lean and limber, this young polecat is well-formed for trouble. Short, russet fur covers his compact frame, the only exceptions being the tips of his rounded ears and his blunt snout which feature hair of a creamy, ivory hue. His round, black eyes gaze brightly out at the world and his jet-black whiskers quiver in excitement at his surroundings. He is called 'Dajino.'
    A wiry polecat kit looks relatively helpless.
    He has 62% health remaining.
    He weighs about 9 pounds.
    He is loyal to Praxides.
    A wiry polecat kit is holding:
    Nothing.
    It will reset to you.

You greet a wiry polecat kit with a sincere smile.
    Chittering happily, a wiry polecat kit returns your greeting.

You pet a wiry polecat kit ingratiatingly.
    A wiry polecat kit nudges your hand happily, compact body wriggling in excitement.

You beckon to a wiry polecat kit.
    A wiry polecat kit scampers over, falling eagerly into line behind you.
  • Basically as soon as Jhui gets a level 20 it's going to take 10 people to kill him instead of 5, what with all the earring escapes to heal to full health and all.

• While it can be used once a day, it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed death for raid groups going against it. Most engagements are decided after a few seconds, if some key people die. If you've got one guy that's going to be tanking for 30 seconds without much consequence, well that's like having a group hit a prismatic barrier for that long. And that's just gonna be a bad day.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    The immortality thing is arguably the dumbest addition I have yet seen. This is not like IRE to do us like this. :(
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Ruth said:
    A gangly ibis lingers here, poking his long, curved beak about in an exploratory manner.
    I wonder if they also have that very distinctive smell that the Australian variant has.

• Jhui will still die like normal. Lock him, proc his thing (he's still locked) and kill him again.

Seems extremely minor but interesting. Good stuff.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Aepas said:
    While it can be used once a day, it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed death for raid groups going against it. Most engagements are decided after a few seconds, if some key people die. If you've got one guy that's going to be tanking for 30 seconds without much consequence, well that's like having a group hit a prismatic barrier for that long. And that's just gonna be a bad day.
    If I understand it right, you'd have to get away exactly as it happens to survive. The small health you regain instead of dying likely won't, in raid situations, mean you'll have time to get away or heal up as someone else is probably in the middle of attacking you as well.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I don't get why they'd create something so insane as immortality and throw it on this already needlessly overloaded monthly promo gachapon thing, instead of, say, making it a Trans ability for a new pirate class.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited August 2015
    I'm going to a special place of hell. I also bought the polecat and it's too cute for me. I will overtake Carmain as the best Dreadlord zookeeper.

(Sartan please don't kill me. >.<)