Transfer from Imperian, Combat Balance and Initial Costs

I'm a player from Imperian looking to play Achaea because I'm interested in the (significantly larger) community it has. If someone could give me a quick breakdown of where the various classes stand here, with their expected initial cost (in terms of /necessary/ skills and artifacts) to participate in lowbie/midbie combat and contribute to group fighting, I'd really appreciate it. I love to roleplay, too, but I will save my questions about what the cities/houses here are like for another question.

I'm somewhat poor IRL, and I can afford skills, but artifacts are something much less likely to be included in my startup of a new character. Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited July 2015
    Most classes don't really require artefacts for lowbie/midbie combat @Gindor, what playstyle are you looking at?

as in, how do you prefer to fight, what's your roleplay niche
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    also, this thread (might be a tiny bit outdated) holds some more info

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/3472/low-investment-starter-classes
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Well, I'm interested mostly in Mhaldor or Targossas as cities go, though Ashtan seems interesting as well. In terms of what kind of combat...  I'm up for pretty much anything, though I'd like to avoid Apostate since in Imperian we essentially have a reskin of it. I like to code, and I've been learning a lot of Lua in the recent past since I picked up Mudlet.

Classes with more complex playstyles than 'mash this button for damage' are probably up my alley, given one of the reasons I'm coming here is affliction combat still seems big. Back in Imperian, there is a damage meta that's settled in that makes for some pretty uninteresting engagements. In groups, I want to fill a role that's commonly needed, as I consider myself a team player.
  • edited July 2015
    Jester scales stupidly well with coding ability, priest really shines with smart coding in group fights, bard gets better with strong coding, maybe alchemist too. Priest is probably my favorite class to date.

You get credits from leveling, and you can buy in-game credits relatively easily. You also get 2.5 lessons every time you convert a credit to bound credits (this also applies to buying bound credits in city/house creditsales). This will help you a lot. 

If you're a really good coder, I can toss you some credits in exchange for some help with a project or two, as well.

i'm a rebel

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Tesha said:

If you're a really good coder, I can toss you some credits in exchange for some help with a project or two, as well.
    What?  Coding?  Free credits?  You have my attention! 
  • edited July 2015
    Pretty much every class is relatively complex - basic damage strategies as some classes will net you kills against lowbies and some midbies, but every class has considerably more depth, either via afflictions or limb-breaking stuff. Even classes that kill primarily by damage will mostly only kill competent people with significant preparation to somehow amplify the damage spike to make it lethal.

I'm surprised to hear that Imperian has a boring "damage meta" - all I've ever heard about it is that the combat is well-balanced and that it's more a focus of the game for most players than it is in Achaea.
  • Austere said:
    Tesha said:

What?  Coding?  Free credits?  You have my attention! 
    I could learn to code.. Or I could be there to support you as you code Tesha!
  • Jester is extremely complex and benefitted by coding ability. It also happens to be very useful and needed in Mhaldor (in group combat)!