Best Mark/Contract Class

I kinda think Alchemist is a pretty good class for a Mark to hinder and kill quickly...

Dragon is definitely meh...

What's the general take? Jester any better?

Comments

• Occultist.

• Based on the number of deathsights I see with a victim on one end and Seragorn on the other, I'd guess Occultist is pretty strong.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    if you get jumped by an occie, definitely hard to react before you are dead.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    A jester with good pranks can be pretty brutal also.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Well the easiest way to be a good mark (in terms of completing contracts and not 1v1 prowess) is having a high kill to death ratio.  Serpents can pretty much take unlimited free shots at killing someone while hunting.  Oh backstab on denizen stack didnt get you, I'll just try again in a hour.  Busy fighting another group, I'll just snipe you hoping to get last hit or backstab you when your distracted.  They can also easily infiltrate a city so they can catch people afk a lot easier than other classes.

Monks can also get radiance kills, big advantage since people spend the majority of their time in Achaea on guard stacks.  They also have some very strong melee skills that nets them a bunch of kills.  BBT and kai choke scale a ton.

Alchemists can displace, a big plus.  They are mediocre in group melee though.

Occultists can be nasty when they jump you, even more so indoors.  If they put tower and freeze ground in a few rooms before they engage, good luck going anywhere.

• Serpent and Occultist hands down
  • I'd say Occultist first, easily.

Serpent and alchemist are also good. Alchemist/monk can get the afk kills on people hiding on guards. Maybe Occultist too if warp still doesn't respect elevation.

Alchemist/Occultist are good for jumping because mobile room hinder and fast kills, and serpent has backstab and snipe.

Sylvan/druid might be pretty good too with just wildgrowth plus loldamage, but hard to say. Nobody really plays them.

• Wildgrowth is not that great, I had someone walk right through the room I was in with it up once. Has them enemied and everything, took forever to set up that gank :( 
  • Jovolo said:
    Serpent and Occultist hands down
    exactly what I had in mind when I saw the thread title
  • Serpent
    Occultist 
    Blademaster if you don't need infiltration. Or for ass stomping anyone under 80.
  • Occultist by far, ridiculous steam-roller effect with great hindrance and utility.
  • I think Sentinel honestly deserves an honorable mention, because of their super-fast affliction offense, comparable to Occultist, not to mention traps in every direction of various kinds.
  • edited July 2015
    Kasa said:
    I think Sentinel honestly deserves an honorable mention, because of their super-fast affliction offense, comparable to Occultist, not to mention traps in every direction of various kinds.
    ILY

Edit: Honestly, Sentinels don't get enough credit. If used correctly, they're total beasts. Just like any class.
  • Novak said:
    Kasa said:
    I think Sentinel honestly deserves an honorable mention, because of their super-fast affliction offense, comparable to Occultist, not to mention traps in every direction of various kinds.
    ILY

Edit: Honestly, Sentinels don't get enough credit. If used correctly, they're total beasts. Just like any class.
    Well, part of that stems from the fact that Sentinel has no way to keep their opponent in the room without hella preparation. Occultist just types
    tentacles
    enemy target
    enter room and do the dead-making.

Sentinel has to set up traps around the target, enter room, do the dead making, and hope that their target doesn't react in time, or that their target doesn't catch them laying down the traps and just gets the hell outta there.
  • Can Jester out of nowhere surprise and lock target?
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Dochitha with a smart use of the stun and blackout bombs? Probably!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Kasa said:
    Sentinel isn't super fast anymore though and requires more aff precision/has more variability than occie. If you can count from 1 to 5 on your fingers, you can probs play occie.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Occie requires a lot more precision than counting to 5. You're basically forced to automate it due to its randomness and speed of afflictions if you're not going for cheese dustbomb strategies. If you don't automate it in their linear affs->Cadmus->Hecate then you have a freaky level of reaction time and a superhuman memory and mental math. It just gets a bad rep because that means people DO generally automate it but take a look at combat nowadays. Glass houses etc
  • Tharvis said:
    @Dochitha with a smart use of the stun and blackout bombs? Probably!
    Harder now we can't juggle bombs though.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • That's what timers or suicide mice are for.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Depends on the class your fighting, But i'd rather serpent over the others evade and phase are awesome to keep you from dying while going after your contract. and alot of people will afk in area's you can snipe them down. plus you can always sneak in and put impatience/confusion/disrupt on them wait till they hit that last minion then backstab lock them before they even understand what's going on.

Every other class is a pretty much if they don't want to fight you they don't have to type setup... You can hinder them for a bit but the chances of them escaping before you go to kill are pretttttttty high in a solo gank.

• ...? Occultist definitely does -not- need -more- nerfs, lol... The class is already ridiculously easy to not die against. Maybe if you're not expecting to be jumped, but that's really not a good situation to balance any class at all around.

• edited September 2015
    Slime extends tree balance (which is capped now, thanks to recent classleads) which makes the balance extension nowhere close to as noticeable as it used to be.

Tentacles, I'll give you that. I don't agree that it's as good as piety/gravehands, though. Because those are good for escaping your opponent, as well as stopping them leaving. Projection also bypasses tentacles. (Hi Shaman)

I sure would love to know where you got this 'balanceless shield raze' from, because last I checked, Gremlin consumes equilibrium (yes it's lowered depending on the amount of afflictions you have, but it's certainly never balanceless, and shielding will always help you because it's still preventing afflictions)

Dunno what to tell you, mate. Occultist has been fucked harder than any class in the past few classlead rounds. Just because it -can- kill people, that doesn't mean the class is fine, and certainly doesn't mean it's OP. Play the class yourself, and you'll see the glaring flaws with it.

Main point is the 'stack', -might- pile up quickly (if you don't use your cures correctly) but is also one of the fastest cured out of: run for 5s = you're clear and they have to start from scratch. Do the same vs alchie/2hander (if you can even get away from the fuckers in the first place) and you've cured tops 2-3 affs out of like 8 on you. Definitely a fair comparison, since all 3 are heavily momentum based.

• edited September 2015
    Gremlin may give the illusion of balanceless raze because you can chain it with entity balance.

I also feel like you're not giving enough credit to the difficulty of running away from Occultist, a class that naturally sticks Lethargy (one attempt to leave the room every ~two seconds) and has room hinder that follows them where they chase.

Not sure Occultist desperately needs nerfs, but it's still very strong.
  • Tumble doesn't work against Occie. But yeah they're actually relatively easy to defend against with a few curing tweaks.
  • Jovolo said:
     class that naturally sticks Lethargy (one attempt to leave the room every ~two seconds) 
    We are not in 2010, lethargy is a +20-25% on balance time after the most recent nerf, down from +40%, it is not confusion at +100% eq. Not to mention occie cant give lethargy but only from instill once every 1.91s at best, only way to have it when trying to run is if RNG cured another ginseng aff. 

Another problem is it lacks meaningful offensive hinder. Have access to lethargy and clumsiness only and can do these two on instill at 1.91s between each (bloodleech doesnt give these any more), so cant stack one under the other. Now if a target has lethargy when they use balance, they will be slowed down 0.3-0.5s, while a class with access to paralysis will average at a 0.7s hinder (which can be easily raised to 1-1.2s average if smart to account for timings). In other words, occies sit and take it all in the face more than virtually any other class. 

It can still kill people, specially unskilled ones or those that dont know what the class actually can do, but they are not in need of a nerf, some reworks maybe to be able to do something against those that do know how to counter it.
  • Disagree with anyone that says Occie is "ridiculously easy" to not die to.

I legslashed Seragorn twice in our last fight, tried to run and hit tentacles like 10 times then died. 

The offense is extremely hard to hinder, even with paralysis whoring. If you're not good at optimizing the offense, yeah you can struggle, but if you are - the class is extremely deadly and extremely fast at being deadly.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez, use alleviate + shield + prone/impale on instill
  • edited September 2015
    Lol Atalkez. I like you and all, dude. But holy fuck that post is just chock full of ... I'm not going to say that... But you're playing by far the easiest class to beat an Occultist, don't bullshit man, I've seen your spars vs Josoul, and he wipes the floor with Seragorn 1v1.

Any, and I mean any momentum that an Occultist gets on a blademaster, you just bound out or pop meditation balance-free and evade. Your hitting of tentacles is your own fault, you know you can 100% avoid it if you really wanted to.

Let's not forget the pommel/prone/impale that Amranu mentioned. Or phoenix'ing if shit really hits the fan (which you already know removes madness THROUGH hecate). Not like any of your important defences take balance to put back up anyway.

Let's go through this, man. Just for you.
    HELP CLASSLIST

Alchemist: educe salt comboable with their offence, yes they have to wrack instead of truewrack, but let's be real. Shit is dumb as hell. They will out pace an Occultist any day of the week, esp with the affs they have on-demand.

Apostate: 1.9s deadeyes, which has on-demand paralysis, as well as nightmare now giving hypersomnia to make sleeplocking a very real, and deadly thing.

Bard: hallelujah. Need I say more? Not to mention canticle'd paralysis.

Blademaster: Been through that shit.

Druid: I don't even know this class anymore, so I'll just toss ideas for that in the bin. They still got might tho, and nightingale.

Knight: Ridiculously easy to stack paralysis into them, unless you're dual blunt. But then you just fuck them over with slow prep+damage anyway. HF.

Jester: See Blademaster, pretty much. Conc bomb/hang/puppet mangle/juggling guaranteed hinder.

Magi/Monk: See Knight, albeit not hindering via paralysis, but instead via quickly broken limbs instead. The former has reflections too.

Priest: We already know how hard this class fucks over momentum classes.

Sentinel: Spammable confusion/impatience/paralysis. Enjoy never even getting cadmus if they fight smartly, let alone hecate/madness.

Serpent: Maybe the one class Occultist can outpace, but if they have a thoth's then nope... Even then, they got pinshot+evade+dash+shrugging. Dstab speed almost matches instill even without artis, as long as decent dex.

Shaman: Swiftcurse harder, if you find yourself ever in trouble. 

Sylvan: You reach max energy before they can even cadmus you. Do the math. Throw a blackout+4k damage shockwave at them if you ever think you're gonna be in danger. If that fails, you always have reflection and bloodboil. Also panacea and prismatic.

Despite all of this, Occultist still lost paralysis (via torc deletion/comboing weaponry with ents). Lols. Good job. See Josoul's post regarding their offensive hindering.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Cynlael have you fought a magi lately? Odds are they'll have your limbs broken quicker
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."