Anime/manga recommendations

2»

Comments

• It is downright criminal that no one has suggested FLCL yet.
  • Tael said:
    It is downright criminal that no one has suggested FLCL yet.
    Eyebrows...
  • @Tael that's because FLCL is so fundamental and obvious, that to mention it would shatter the bounds of consciousness and sanity as to make the world a cold and horrible place to exist in.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    I just finished reading Berserk. Now I must wallow in the same hiatus hell as everyone else  :(
  • I hated FLCL very sharply. Let the stones be thrown, I make no apology.

• Saeva said:
    I hated FLCL very sharply. Let the stones be thrown, I make no apology.
    oh thank god I'm not the only one.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    You have to be in the right frame of mind for FLCL. That is to say, probably stoned, at about 3:00 in the morning. It will not make any sense, but, then again, it doesn't really make any sense sober, either. 

I have a confession to make: besides FLCL, I have never watched an anime start to finish. I never really watched anime at all, save for catching the occasional episode of whatever was running on Adult Swim while waiting for The Venture Bros. to start. Despite having a respect for the style of art, and love for a good storyline, I just never got into it. I expect attending school with a horde of girlfriend-pillow-snuggling weeaboos had something to do with it. 

My current boyfriend is a huge anime fan. He has excellent taste, and he has tried to get me into watching a number of his favorite series in the time we have been together. My problem is that I am a terribly incompetent binge-watcher. I have the attention span of a small rodent when it comes to television and movies. I can sit down and read an entire series of books, cover to cover, stopping only to sleep, but I can't watch more than one or two episodes of a show, no matter how much I love it, without multitasking. Not even my beloved Game of Thrones. So many anime have been running for years, with so many different seasons, and reboots, and specials, that watching one for the first time is more overwhelming than beginning any American TV series.

I have come closest to finishing Code Geass, and, trust me, I love it. I really do. I have something like ten episodes left before I finish the series. My boyfriend has held my hand through this one; we have watched it together, and he has quizzed me after every few episodes to make sure I understand the storyline and haven't let my mind wander. We are going to try to finish it up over the next week or so, and, then, move on to another one. 

My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • @Amunet You know about Code Geass R2, right? That's probably the best anime I've ever watched. Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai are my two other favorites too.

Also, the Berserk manga is quite addictive to read :dizzy: 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I don't know. I'm watching Nichijou right now and it makes no sense and it's amazing. :/ Different strokes.

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    @Amunet You know about Code Geass R2, right? That's probably the best anime I've ever watched. Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai are my two other favorites too.

Yes. That's what we've almost finished. I suppose I didn't think of them as two different series, but rather like a first and second season. I'm not used to how anime tends to be arranged!
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • @Amunet : They usually follow "seasons" but they can have "arcs" too, which are diverging/smaller storylines.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Also, the Berserk manga is quite addictive to read :dizzy: 
    Yea it is... every 6-12 months
  • Aegoth said:

Yea it is... every 6-12 months
    Eight years on a boat.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Yeah, I just finished the last chapter, Bridge of Parting and noticed "October 2014" as the release date :sweat: 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• edited July 2015
    This is going to sound insufferably pretentious, but I think FLCL all but requires multiple viewings to really appreciate.

It's enjoyable the first time if you like the sort of things that people enjoy while stoned at 3am. If you don't, which I know plenty of people don't, I think it's really understandable why you wouldn't like it - I think it's virtually impossible to see any kind of real depth in it the first time you see it. If you do like that sort of zaniness, maybe you just stop there and that's fine - there's nothing wrong with watching something because it's fun.

I think most people start to piece together a coherent (if bonkers) narrative the second time they see it, but I'm not really convinced that changes things much either.

But I think when you go beyond that, once you can stop focusing on trying to figure out the essential plot of the whole thing, you start to actually appreciate the themes they're getting at more and more. You start to see the method behind the madness and the commentary that sits in the quieter moments and how it connects to the more bombastic stuff. And while I'm sure plenty of people would insist that they totally understood it the first time they saw it and it was all actually quite transparent and I must just be kind of dumb that it took me so long, I think many of the themes are very subtle. But, once you start to see them, I also think they're handled with a really surprising amount of care and a tremendous respect for the depth of some of the things the series is talking about.

FLCL is probably my favorite anime, maybe one of my favorite things period. I'm one of those people that likes the zanier stuff, but I also think there's a lot more there if you go looking for it, and I think that's more true of FLCL than of almost any other anime.
  • Escaflowne (the love of my life, oh this program)
    Eureka 7 is pretty good
    Berserk
    Gundam Wing (original series had an awesome story line)

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I tried to watch Eureka 7 once and just.could.not.stand.it :-1: 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• SethSeth North Carolina
    Trying to decide what to read next between Vagabond or Blade of the Immortal. Any input? :)
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Seth said:
    Trying to decide what to read next between Vagabond or Blade of the Immortal. Any input? :)
    Vagabond is pretty awesome

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• To start with, I would recommend
    Log Horizon
    Sword Art Online
    Since you are playing Achaea, I think you will really enjoy these. Both are based around games, RPGs the main thing. I would also recommend
    Fate/Zero - Fate/Stay Night
    Parasyte
    Tokyo Ghoul
    High School DxD (I mean, the plot is sheit, but I came for the oppai anyways)
    GATE
    No Game No Life

Those are/were my favourite animes, and I would seriously recommend them to anyone interested in anime.
  • Soku said:
    Since you are playing Achaea, I think you will really enjoy these. Both are based around games, RPGs the main thing. I would also recommend
    Fate/Zero - Fate/Stay Night
    Make sure to go with the recent ufotable adaption of UBW over the old DEEN series.

Definitely watch Log Horizon, though. It kind of makes me wonder what would happen if we all suddenly got transported into Achaea. Imagine the craziness.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."