Mining and Legions

edited July 2015 in North of Thera
Discuss here!

HELP MINING.

I fully expect the first reactions you guys have as you read the help file and start using the system to be:

First: "This is really complex." It's actually not all that complex once you get your head around it, though there are a lot of variables in it.

Second: "These battles have no skill." That is, in fact, true. The skill in mining comes in making a string of decisions where you make more good ones than bad ones. Those decisions include things like what comms to mine based on player demand for those comms, how big a mine to open on what size lode for what comm, the mix of squads (soldier and mining) to stick in a mine, when to attack another player's mine, when it's worth taking a stronghold, and so on. It's all about whether you're good enough to turn a profit over the long-run, not about whether a single mine turns a profit or not.

Comments

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Someone please post the help files for those of us at work? 
  • Nice Starship Troopers reference you got there
  • This is really, really neat.

And I'm amazed you managed to avoid the temptation to let anything slip in that war thread! The legion/stronghold system here is awesome.

And I love the idea of naming the rare minerals after the players who discover them.

My only question is about the rare minerals and the impact you expect them to have on combat - is this going to be another thing that people will need to stockpile to remain competitive? Another "upkeep cost" to participate meaningfully? Some of these bonuses seem very significant.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    If Jhui gets the eq mineral first, I am rage quitting for the night. 

I just want to say that it looks amazing.  Cities are going to have a very stressful start I think.  The rush to claim territory is going to be rough. Thank you for a decent break down on how the battles take place in the help file.  No one likes ambiguity when it comes to losing gold (or gaining).

Apologies for not searching for the help file first.  I never think to look on the website as the search function doesn't always work for me(took me four hours to find "city destruction" one day)
  • Woah, this is one fatty file. After a while could be broken up like Icons and such
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • This looks really cool, thanks for making such an in-depth system.

I do have a few questions, sorry if they're answered in the helpfile and I didn't see!

- Can only one mine be established on a lode? 

- Do you have to be logged in and claim storage every hour?

- If your mining squads digged up a rare mineral overnight and your mine gets attacked while you're not there, does the attacker get that rare mineral (and the naming privilege) too?

- If only one mine can be established on a lode, does that mean there can ever only be 20-30 people with mines active (fewer if they make multiple mines)?

i'm a rebel

• Initial reactions:
    • This is really cool!
    • This 100 gold thing is annoying.
    • ... damn I need iron to get iron? I guess I'll have to wait until the guys who've been stockpiling the iron actually sells it.
  • Tael said:

My only question is about the rare minerals and the impact you expect them to have on combat - is this going to be another thing that people will need to stockpile to remain competitive? Another "upkeep cost" to participate meaningfully? Some of these bonuses seem very significant.
    I doubt it. They really are pretty rare. We'll see though. If they even approach something that is generally needed, they're way too common.
  • edited July 2015

Tesha said:
    This looks really cool, thanks for making such an in-depth system.

I do have a few questions, sorry if they're answered in the helpfile and I didn't see!

- Can only one mine be established on a lode? 

- Do you have to be logged in and claim storage every hour?

- If your mining squads digged up a rare mineral overnight and your mine gets attacked while you're not there, does the attacker get that rare mineral (and the naming privilege) too?

- If only one mine can be established on a lode, does that mean there can ever only be 20-30 people with mines active (fewer if they make multiple mines)?

Only one mine per lode.

If you claim storage every hour, you're going to lose money.  You do have to be logged in to claim storage, but you can do it whenever you want. The less often you claim, the more profit potential, but the less often you claim, the juicier potential target you offer to others.

It's whose mining squads dig up the rare minerals first.

I'm not sure where you got 20-30 from (there are 27 just raw stone lodes in the game currently for instance) but there is an upper limit to how many mines there can be at once, determined by the number of lodes in the game. Different comms will have differing numbers of lodes available too. 
  • edited July 2015
    Oh, that's neat. The 20-30 was just a guess. I like how if you claim less often the rewards pile up, but it gets riskier. I look forward to trying to figure it out! At first glance it seems really intimidating and it feels like if you don't start right now you'll have a nightmare getting started later when other people have super strong legions, but maybe not, since you only lose comms and some of your workers. 

i'm a rebel

• How long do the rare gems last? If Tesha found one, would she have it forever? 1 month? Could she give it to Zuko? 
  • Zuko said:
    How long do the rare gems last? If Tesha found one, would she have it forever? 1 month? Could she give it to Zuko? 
    You eat them, and they last an hour.

• Tesha said:
    Oh, that's neat. The 20-30 was just a guess. I like how if you claim less often the rewards pile up, but it gets riskier. I look forward to trying to figure it out! At first glance it seems really intimidating and it feels like if you don't start right now you'll have a nightmare getting started later when other people have super strong legions, but maybe not, since you only lose comms and some of your workers. 
    I don't think so, because there is inevitable attrition with legions if they're used for defense or attack, but we'll see.

• Sarapis said:
    Zuko said:
    How long do the rare gems last? If Tesha found one, would she have it forever? 1 month? Could she give it to Zuko? 
    You eat them, and they last an hour.
    Do the gems have a decay time before eaten? Are they bound or can they be sold?
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • So, does two legions fighting give cause for the owners of the armies to attack each other, or do they sit on the sideline like 17th Century generals sipping tea?
  • Sarapis said:

Tesha said:
    I don't think so, because there is inevitable attrition with legions if they're used for defense or attack, but we'll see.

That's awesome! It seems like that balances the reward of having stronger legions, without making the whole system exclusive to people who start early. Cool!

i'm a rebel

• @Razzlo There's no such thing as cause in Achaea and hasn't been for some time! There simply must be a justifiable roleplay reason for any attack upon another player.
  • edited July 2015
    Hmm, well that is what I meant in all honesty...I guess I just fall into jargon sometimes.

Is it justifiable then? 
  • I have a sneaky suspicion I invested in my mine at a loss >.> but once I understood the system it is kind of fun

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited July 2015
    Are the unrefined items meant to be both unriftable and drop on qq? If so, looks like I'll be storing things on the house ship from here on out.

EDIT: Also, if a mine runs out of mineables and collapses, does anything in storage automatically get shipped to you, or do you lose it?
    Huh. Neat.
  • finding this pretty neat so far. Thanks @Sarapis and the team. I already signed up to elite after your last big change so maybe I'll buy some globes or something.

Only one question so far. Can you dismiss squads from your legion or do I need to just go get them killed somewhere? I couldn't work it out or see if it is even an option.

Other than that just waiting on everyone collecting data about the intricacies and stats around the system so we can get a better understanding. It looks like a great addition to the game and should be fun for those who want some different aspects to conflict.
  • They're riftable now.
    And @Sarapis @Makarios why did everyone lose like a whole explorer ranking? Do the stronghold rooms count? The mine rooms don't seem to.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I can't wait to eat Jhuis and Teshas for breakfast
    Krypton said:
    I just realized if I discover a rare gem, it will be called Kryptonite
    IT MUST BE DONE
    Huh. Neat.
  • can we get clans/channels to work while we are in the strongholds/mines? or is that intended?