This just in! Ashtan under attack from Yudhishthira

13»

Comments

• We obviously need the Dracolich back >.>
  • Kyrra said:
    Melodie said:
    @Kyrra Sorry you only saw that side of things. Real shame.

@Melodie, I saw a lot of everything. I lived in Cyrene for well over two hundred years. The Senate and Ministries never shut up about paperwork and when you have citizens like Kii having orgasms over -cake-, you have to wonder why people have the public impression of Cyrene like they do.
    For what it's worth, the real shame is that Cyrene no longer cares. There's no sense of real community anymore, people are discouraged and ridiculed for making any effort, people are told not to waste their time doing the things they enjoy which contribute back to the city and you wonder why you can no longer fill Senate seats. It's also a shame that Ashtan recognised what Cyrene didn't. For that, I am not sorry.
    Some of the sense of nobility and military power Cyrene had, disappeared when a chunk of Cyrene's more mature/established playerbase left the city after the arguably dishonourable treaty was signed to end the Ashtan-Cyrene war. 

Then again, you're somewhat right.. I miss the military atmosphere and discipline that pervaded when the war was on-going and some time after. RIP eye-sigils. You're wrong about the lack of sense of community though.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2012
    I am assuredly not turning this into a "problems Cyrene has" thread. I apologise for taking it off-topic in the first place.

All I'll say is this, @Kyrra: You left and pretty much everyone was shocked. I and others talked to you, you came back, we even pushed your application through to very quickly to minimize any kind of wait - and you left again.

If you want to talk about this more, we can elsewhere where people don't have to read about it in a thread about an RP event.

Edit: Clarity.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Kyrra said:
    Melodie said:
    @Kyrra Sorry you only saw that side of things. Real shame.

@Melodie, I saw a lot of everything. I lived in Cyrene for well over two hundred years. The Senate and Ministries never shut up about paperwork and when you have citizens like Kii having orgasms over -cake-, you have to wonder why people have the public impression of Cyrene like they do.

For what it's worth, the real shame is that Cyrene no longer cares. There's no sense of real community anymore, people are discouraged and ridiculed for making any effort, people are told not to waste their time doing the things they enjoy which contribute back to the city and you wonder why you can no longer fill Senate seats. It's also a shame that Ashtan recognised what Cyrene didn't. For that, I am not sorry.
    When you live in a city without joining a House or other meaningful organization, you miss out on all of the good things that happen in that city behind closed doors and are left with the bottom rungs of the Centre Crossing citizenry. Of course it's going to suck.

I can agree that the leadership has gotten...I don't know the right word. Mechanical? It feels like there's less roleplay and more log-keeping going on than I remember before my dormancy. It's always been that way to a degree, of course, and I know Cyrene's never been a driving force for dynamism or anything, it just feels like the patricians are more grey than usual. We have a great Patron, and the lower/younger citizens feel responsive, but the energy and creativity gets lost in the middle somewhere.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I think the problem you're describing is lack of the feeling of some higher purpose, which is likely temporary. That's probably why formality seems mechanical, because it's there for the sake of formality. I haven't had a Cyrenian character since 2005, but I've always seen Cyrene as environment which is perfect if you want to enjoy a thoroughly non-combat aspect of Achaea.
  • Thaumas said:
    I think the problem you're describing is lack of the feeling of some higher purpose, which is likely temporary. That's probably why formality seems mechanical, because it's there for the sake of formality. I haven't had a Cyrenian character since 2005, but I've always seen Cyrene as environment which is perfect if you want to enjoy a thoroughly non-combat aspect of Achaea.
    In truth, though, all the cities do (theoretically) provide outlets (each to varying degrees of success) for non-combat players. Each house tends to have at least some basic defense requirements.  I wish each city was more successful in nurturing all aspects of the game play from combat to trade to politics and socializing. I think what makes them all rich environments is the amount of possibilities each has.    My character will participate in defense parties with little interest in active raiding of other cities because that's not what I'm here for and I think I do just fine in Hashan with non-combat RP (wincing for the onslaught of Hashan-combat jokes).

• edited December 2012
  • This seems to be becoming a theme.

Considering this was a live-update thread for a mini-event that has concluded, no-one should be surprised.
This discussion has been closed.