When your character gets away from you

I am curious - what did you intend for your character when you were creating it, and where has that landed after the passage of some time?

Then: Kandra started out polite to the extreme (was offended by witnessing someone speak disrespectfully even about raiders), nearly silent, studious to the point of confidence (went so far as to tell a tester he was wrong when he told her she was wrong about a historical fact), naive/innocent/sheltered/oblivious (I had a lot of fun thinking of ways to respond to dirty jokes to reflect this, especially telling @Oceana that @Verrucht taught her some fun new words). Was centrally focused on helping novices (got pointed at for having trained every single novice who joined the arcanists in a year). She was very accommodating and attentive to whoever was speaking to her, as if she was a stockboy in a grocery store. She wore a sundress (preferably orange) and sandals or slippers. Had no desires to hold any position but did try to be a voice of reason to those who did.

Now: Polite and quiet are mostly out the window, but some customary things are still present, like greeting people with a curtsey. I was stunned by how many people those traits offended. Married to her new house enough that I had a moment of reckoning (@Aerek you know what you did. It was still mean, but legitimate kick in the seat) with the whole never wanting to hold a position thing. Is wary and weary of people, rather than accommodating and attentive (exceptions, of course). Always has a bottle of rum in her mouth. The dress/slippers getup has been replaced by covering herself from head to toe, and even her hair isn't visible. I'd say the only thing that hasn't changed at all is the addiction to helping novices; I have the HoN position in a stranglehold.

All in all, I think my character has become the polar opposite of what I first pictured. Anyone else?

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    It's been so long I can barely remember where I was going with Skye when I made her.

I always played her annoyingly perky, but there was also an inner mean streak that occasionally emerged when her temper frayed. As time passed there just became more and more opportunities for that streak to appear until it became natural.

I've watched her grow and become ambitious and then embittered with time. Roguedom suits her beautifully.

I do kinda mourn the loss of her adventurous dressiness though. I used to dress her up in all sorts of styles and do up her hair. Nowadays her wardrobe and colours are so limited.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    When I started Jinsun I had a main who was going nowhere and that I was intensely bored with, but complacent and happy. Jinsun was supposed to be my alt for me to goof off in and do whatever I wanted. He ended up becoming my main and being far more than any previous character was.

He started out as a try-hard prim and proper scholar. He was pretty snarky and wanted so badly to be a leading class aristocrat. He was focused on learning -everything-, multiple languages, history, etc. Thennn he got to HR3 and started looking at house reqs. He wanted to complete every path. He'd do expeditions and history research. Eventually, he came upon combat requirements. He wanted to learn it like any subject. He and I guess, I never knew that he'd become a cold killing machine. He also didn't have a defined interest in a specific religion or following. Then he met @Morro who said during an interview that she suspected he would "find the razor." Meaning, he'd shave his head during the trials to join Lord Babel's preorder. He also discovered that Flair was his father. He and Flair didn't always get to spend a lot of time together so he really knows his father more from books. That changed him a lot. While he's still a bit haughty and entitled, he has a lot less patience for bureaucracy or the upper classes. Also, becoming a pirate changed him a bit, too. He's becoming a lot more wild and out there than I ever thought he'd be. I love it.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I'm going to steal the first part of @Jinsun's story, cause it's pretty much the exact same for Ahmet.

He started out as a try-hard prim and proper scholar. He was pretty snarky and wanted so badly to be a leading class aristocrat. He was focused on learning -everything-, multiple languages, history, etc. Thennn he got to HR3 and started looking at house reqs. He wanted to complete every path. He'd do expeditions and history research.

Then one day, he wandered off on an expedition and never really stopped wandering. And that's basically who Ahmet is. Someone free-spirited, who takes pride in his Freedom, an explorer, who expresses himself in whatever manner seems to fit the situation. Flowy, flexible, nonsensical at times, perhaps a bit insane, but who isn't nowadays?

I'm very happy with where Ahmet ended up, even though it's been a bumpy road to get here, through four cities and one over again, hell knows how many houses, and three or four pre-orders.
    Huh. Neat.
  • RaemRaem Los Angeles
    Raem has just become more and more annoying for people to deal with over time.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    There have been times, lately, where I feel like a lot of the core traits that defined Aod are pretty much gone. Some of his traits just don't jive well with being a leader, and so some sacrifices needed to get made. Nowadays, I still love playing my character and where he's at in his own storylines, but I do sometimes wonder how different the experience would be if he hadn't happened to get appointed to positions of responsibility.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • I actually created a discussion a while back where I was afraid when to let go and let Razzlo be Razzlo, and when I needed to take charge of him. I think I have done alright so far...

Razzlo started out wanting to be Lucaine Pyramides come again, but over time he has begun to realize that he thinks Lucaine Pyramides was pretty dumb...and he does not really believe in fairy tale love stories anymore. There are some other changes too, but I am going to go hunting in game instead of going on about them...

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Saeva said:
    Saeva now dances the line of bright and excitable
    Truth. Have witnessed Exsusiai Saeva Aristata, Viceroy and Eminence of Mhaldor, jumping up and down excitedly at the gates, with childlike finger-pointing, exuberantly shouting "Yesss!! Let's kill them all!"

On topic, if I ever really had a set role envisioned for who and how Tart would be, I've long forgotten it. She's definitely taken on a life (and mind) of her own, and is gracious enough to drag me along for the ride.

• Aepas was always meant to be slow and brooding, thoughtful and arrogant.

Now he is slow and brooding, thoughtful and arrogant.

His personality never really changed, but when he choses to act out did. He used to be more willing to jump into a fray of things. Now he likes to skirt around everything and try to absorb all the information about people that he can. He enjoys scouting out people before he talks to them, so he can have the upper hand by knowing their habits, and has become a bit more scholarly in his evilness rather than zealous, and less likely to find failure in defeat. He learned how to talk a bit more too, rather than pretty much insulting anything that talked to him, and he's become slightly less racist towards soft-skins because of his waifu.

It's been a really amazing transformation to see how his personality has shifted almost to it's own accord. I enjoy being the player that sometimes seems to forget I am the one playing. When Aepas talks, it's more like I'm reading a book and thinking "oh boy, what will he say next" as my fingers furiously type out his reply.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    When I made Ruth, I always projected her to be an enthusiastic, bubbly Paladin who was initially trying to achieve peace but gained a quiet determination to right what's wrong, no matter what it takes. Family was very important to her.

But then she got jaded about the ideals she served due to all the internal conflict and found ill-treatment from the man she loved and got married to. She got really angry and really sad, and she got really broody. When her parents took off in different directions (her mother to Hashan and her father to Cyrene), that become one of the more major turning points that I never expected would actually catalyze a lot of how she's become. 

Now, Ruth is quiet, contemplative and closed-mouth a lot of the times but allows her loud and violent side to escape from her through different outlets. She's gotten a lot more zealous in the ideals she's accepted as life guides and she works with quiet determination to spread what she's found in service to Evil to those she interacts with on a consistent basis. Family is still very important to her. Ruth's odd love for flowers come from all the times she's spent with her Druid mother.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Alrena was originally quiet, friendly, introvert and not very ambitious. My only goals were to achieve dragon and have a nice, fun family to hang out with.

Then someone told me to contest for Leath-ri and I stumbled into politics, and found I liked it in this weird way. Alrena was zealous for a while, but recently becoming more moderate as her goals are shifting a bit. It is interesting to see that she's nothing like how she used to be, and she's still changing even now.
  • Hrm. I can't really remember way back when I first made Sarathai. When I came back, the big thing I wanted him to get done was bash to dragon (mostly to prove to myself I could do it, with a little bit of "I want to see what the Gare looks like"). Which I did... and then I kind of never stopped? He's gotten a bit more distant from people, though, for better or worse.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• ElazarElazar NC/Mhaldor
    edited July 2015
    Elazar is an extention of my "satanic" self.  More for lolz, i dont worship anything in real life so being "sartanic" seemed like the path to take.  I seem to be doing what Elazar should be doing...always working hard with an interest to learn and teach.  

the basis of my sartanic daily workouts is as follows: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkfwmGvdVY

• SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    When I first came into Achaea, I had come off a short but very nasty experience in Imperian. The guild I was in was rife with nepotism and inaction, and having been part of the leadership of that guild, it left a very bad taste in my mouth. So this character was an extension of that- he was originally one of those annoying, silly jesters you see around from time to time. It wasn't until I (personally) matured and made my character more serious before I started looking at playing seriously again. Here we are, eleven years later, and I've been Chancellor three times, a house secretary three times, and a Regent. So I suppose I grew out of it!

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • edited July 2015
    I had planned on Adaele remaining cute, sweet, artsy, innocent, shy , and energetic, but some things happened in her family that changed her. And then she met @Jinsun who completely changed her world. She gave up morality for a life of piracy when she was challenged and told she could never be free and without morals. With that she dove head long into a life of crime and it's perhaps on.her easy to becoming a nihilist. Not to mention to has meet enough Mhaldorians to have a bit of a Mhaldorian mind set. Never expected her to be so messed up.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    @Titonus Do you remember in 2007/2008 (I think) you had a task that you left Mhaldor for 2 ig years, went dormant, forgot about that task and just sat around as a rogue for AGES, until Dethea was like "uh when are you rejoining Mhaldor?" 

At least I vaguely remember this being you

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    @Carmain yeah. It was a preorder task for Shaitan. I forgot all about that shit. lol

• I started Khairt with the full intention of being a bloodthirsty infernal, destroyer of lives. Ended up going the peaceful Shao-lin abbot route for many many years. Now, I play Khairt as an approximation of NPC and it makes me happy.

• Aodfionn said:
    There have been times, lately, where I feel like a lot of the core traits that defined Aod are pretty much gone. Some of his traits just don't jive well with being a leader, and so some sacrifices needed to get made. Nowadays, I still love playing my character and where he's at in his own storylines, but I do sometimes wonder how different the experience would be if he hadn't happened to get appointed to positions of responsibility.
    I have to agree with some of Aodfionn's points in regards to Zuko.

Zuko, initially, was a rather serious Sentaari monk. Pretty diligent, serious, and respectful.

Though respect is still one of Zuko's main values, I'v had to become less serious since most of Zuko's "career" revolves around the young. I like to make sure Zuko is interesting, and that I don't bore them. So I usually end up cracking jokes over standing there pensively if that makes sense.
  • Let's see, when I made Achimrst he was a deranged hobo that murdered children. Mostly the children in Lodi and Tasur'ke. He had dreams of moving to the big city as a young Tsol'aa from the Aalen but never truly understood the city, so he killed children and the people of Tasur'ke after he attacked a child in Ashtan and got in trouble for it. Never liked Ashtan since that happened, but he eventually retreated into the sewers of Hashan to lie dormant for maybe 100ish years. Only to awake and start to learn things by reading eventually becoming a deranged fanatic that murders children.
  • AlaricAlaric Canada
    edited July 2015
    I knew it! you deranged hobo you!
    Achimrst said:
    Let's see, when I made Achimrst he was a deranged hobo that murdered children. Mostly the children in Lodi and Tasur'ke. He had dreams of moving to the big city as a young Tsol'aa from the Aalen but never truly understood the city, so he killed children and the people of Tasur'ke after he attacked a child in Ashtan and got in trouble for it. Never liked Ashtan since that happened, but he eventually retreated into the sewers of Hashan to lie dormant for maybe 100ish years. Only to awake and start to learn things by reading eventually becoming a deranged fanatic that murders children.

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • Aerek said:
    When I first started Aerek, I had no idea how much of a goddamned hero he'd become. Or how handsome. Both of those really got away from me.
    I feel like you're me.

To answer seriously, I started Trey with the intent to be the stoic Infernal. Over the years it developed into 'unparalleled weaponsmith' and then slowly shifted into 'rakehell noble'. I like where I'm at now. I think I'll stay.