Interesting Population Stats

So, I was bored and decided to write a hook to intercept the packets sent by the Achaea Chrome add-on and pull out the WHO information in there.

Caveats!
  • The add-on gets an update every minute, but I just mined every 10th packet. So if someone logged in for less than 10min, somewhere inbetween they won't have gotten picked up, but whatever, I say.
  • I can't see hidden people, obviously, so these stats only apply to unhidden people.
I recorded the data for 4 days, starting on the 2nd of July.

Over the course of those 4 days:
  • 993 Unique characters logged in (11 suicided and 234 are still below level 21).
  • On average, those characters were active for 2 hours a day, max is 20 hours a day.
  • Most active time is 3am GMT, most inactive time is 12pm GMT.
Looking at Cities (only level 21+).

Looking only at characters above level 21, 21% are Rogues.
The City with the most sub-level 21 players is Targossas followed by Eleusis.
The City with the most (unhidden) dragons per capita is Eleusis by a fairly large margin.

City
- Unique Chars Rank
- Hours Per Day Rank
- Most Active
- Least Active
Rogues
1am GMT1pm GMT
Cyrene
3am GMT10am GMT
Eleusis
3am GMT12pm GMT
Ashtan
1am GMT10am GMT
Targossas
4am GMT12pm GMT
Hashan
2am GMT11am GMT
Mhaldor
12am GMT5pm GMT

So Mhaldor is either very quiet or very artied (probably the latter) and their time zones are weirdo.

Looking at Houses (only level 21+).

Interestingly 48% of characters are not in a House.
The House with the most sub-level 21 players is Occultists followed by CIJ.
Looking at only characters above level 21, there's still 36% that are Houseless (only 39% of which are Rogues).
The House with the most (unhidden) dragons per capita are the Warlocks

House
- Unique Chars Rank
- Hours Per Day Rank
- Most Active
- Least Active
Heartwood112am GMT12pm GMT
Shield221am GMT10am GMT
Outriders365am GMT2pm GMT
Scions452am GMT10am GMT
Dawnblade574am GMT12pm GMT
Legates6312am GMT5pm GMT
Luminai742am GMT9am GMT
Cij785am GMT12pm GMT
Merchants9128pm GMT11am GMT
Warlocks9136pm GMT2am GMT
Insidium111112am GMT10am GMT
Virtuosi1293am GMT11am GMT
Harbingers12106am GMT2pm GMT
Occultists12157am GMT12pm GMT
Spiritwalkers15147am GMT6pm GMT
Ashura16175pm GMT4am GMT
Blacklotus17165am GMT11am GMT
Shadowsnakes18181am GMT8am GMT

Of particular note here are the Legates and the Luminai, sitting at 6th and 7th on the Unique Chars Rank, but at 3rd and 4th on Total Hours. 

If anyone has any other questions or if you (IRE) would prefer me to take this down, gimme a shout!

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    DATAMINERS UNITE!
    Huh. Neat.
  • I like these stats they are some seriously cool insight into the world 
  • This is actually really interesting, thank you for doing this :D

• Very interesting. I thought Targossas was behind the rest but seems we are right in the middle. Well done.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    It's missing the people with gems. :( No wonder the Harbs so far down the line, we all have one.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • edited July 2015
    @Aodfionn I don't! This of course means that I am the only one who shows up on HELP TARGOSSAS and the majority of people inquiring about our city get pointed to me. I'll let you decide good thing or bad thing.
  • Now I am strangely interested in re-making  my census data mining script. The only problem being that it will grab inactives as well.  Perhaps when I have more time.  But when I last had it made and had it running was back when Shallam existed.

At that time the numbers by Character and citizenship was:

Cyrene: 31%
    Hashan: 12%
    Shallam:10%
    Mhaldor: 10%
    Ashtan: 20%
    Eleusis: 11%
    Rogues: 6%

Keeping in mind that was counting both actives/nonactive. Levels 1 - 100 and that it was a rather large number of the character in Achaea as I grabbed citizenship from qw and Bloodlines at that time.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Most of us in Mhaldor have gems, but 12am GMT to 5pm GMT timezones sound pretty accurate.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Asiador

• I think Mhaldor has a lot of gems. Eleusis is fairly quiet lately and most of our fighters are dormant-ish.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Yeah the gems thing skews my numbers by a fair margin But unfortunately it's not something I can get around. (Unless IRE gave me access to their dbs! XD)

Out of interest there's usually around 50 to 90 gemmed/otherwise hidden people logged on at any time.
  • Tibitha said:
    Out of interest there's usually around 50 to 90 gemmed/otherwise hidden people logged on at any time.
    That's a lot of gems.

I mean, I have one myself, but half the time I forget to even turn the thing on (or I'm deliberately keeping it off).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• gotta hide the shins
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Mhaldor also has a higher concentration of people involved in external affairs, since we basically enforce it, so we seem bigger than we are, gems or no. We're definitely not 7th though, maybe 5th or 6th. I still get crazy surprised when I log into my alts Cyrene/Hashan/Eleusis/Ashtan and their "off hours" "cw"s which they claim are small are basically Mhaldor's active cw. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    Mhaldor also has a higher concentration of people involved in external affairs, since we basically enforce it, so we seem bigger than we are, gems or no. We're definitely not 7th though, maybe 5th or 6th. I still get crazy surprised when I log into my alts Cyrene/Hashan/Eleusis/Ashtan and their "off hours" "cw"s which they claim are small are basically Mhaldor's active cw. 
    I think this is a big part of it. When 'everyone' in Mhaldor shows up it's generally 75-80% of the population online at the time where it's usually (based on fullsense, QW, etc), generally ~60% of the population that shows up for other cities, and 30-40% for Ashtan.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Tibitha said:
    Yeah the gems thing skews my numbers by a fair margin But unfortunately it's not something I can get around. (Unless IRE gave me access to their dbs! XD)

ooor we could ask @Sarapis to give us a sample of some of their numbers? I have -no- doubt that they do this extensively and keep track because the player base are their bread and butter (and the basis of their business.)
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • I'd love to see IRE post these numbers including gemmed. Can't really hurt anyone since it's all very general information!
  • Graphs! Because who doesn't like graphs!

This is the average population per hour of a city (orange line) compared to the average population per hour in total (blue solid). It gives a nice indication of city activity. Once again, Targ and Mhaldor are bloody weird at the moment (Eurasia, unite!)

• I'm really happy about Targossas' timezone at the moment.  Are these graphs 0000 - 2359 GMT?
  • Adet said:
    I'm really happy about Targossas' timezone at the moment.  Are these graphs 0000 - 2359 GMT?
    Same, and yes!
  • Thanks Tibitha!
  • Am I understanding correctly that your "Hours per day %" is the fraction of total character-hours logged by each city (basically the area under the orange curve in each of those activity vs. time graphs), as a fraction of the total?

A single graph of the population of each city as a fraction of the total vs. time, all on one plot, might make it easier to eyeball comparisons.
  • Not quite, for each char I calculate the average fraction of that hour they're online (so if I recorded 24 10min segments in the hour between 13 and 14 and you were online for 12 of them I'd log you as being online 0.5hrs between that time)

Then for each city I add the times of all the chars in that city (that's the orange line). The area under the blue graph is the average between all the cities  (flat, not weighted by size). So the blue graph is constant.

I did put them all on one graph but I was trying to see the shapes (more so than the amplitude) vs average and it got too busy. Which is why I split them.
  • Tibitha said:
    Not quite, for each char I calculate the average fraction of that hour they're online (so if I recorded 24 10min segments in the hour between 13 and 14 and you were online for 12 of them I'd log you as being online 0.5hrs between that time)

Then for each city I add the times of all the chars in that city (that's the orange line). The area under the blue graph is the average between all the cities  (flat, not weighted by size). So the blue graph is constant.

But then the single "hours per day %" number for each city is just the average of the orange curve over the average of the blue one (or equivalently, the ratio of the areas under them), right?
  • Eld said:
    Tibitha said:
    Not quite, for each char I calculate the average fraction of that hour they're online (so if I recorded 24 10min segments in the hour between 13 and 14 and you were online for 12 of them I'd log you as being online 0.5hrs between that time)

But then the single "hours per day %" number for each city is just the average of the orange curve over the average of the blue one (or equivalently, the ratio of the areas under them), right?
    Oh you mean in the table? Well it's actually the area under the orange line (summed across all hours) as a percentage of the sum of ALL players across all hours.

So like, of all the time players spent in the game, 19% of those came from Cyrenian players, does that make sense?
  • Ruth said:
    Most of us in Mhaldor have gems, but 12am GMT to 5pm GMT timezones sound pretty accurate.

I don't think we have more gems than Targossas or Ashtan, but maybe more than Eleusis/Hashan/Cyrene. Overall, the 'less people around in Mhaldor usually' seems accurate.