Announce 4368: Puppet/Vodun Mangle

Comments

• Aegoth said:
    Shaman is one of the best PK classes in the game right now. Not sure why there's fuss over nerfing it. 
    I think the more reasonable fuss is over this new Maligus buff. It just seems like such a silly way to "fix" the Maligus problem - by just turning it into Fashion+.
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited July 2015
    Tael said:
    Aegoth said:
    Shaman is one of the best PK classes in the game right now. Not sure why there's fuss over nerfing it. 
    I think the more reasonable fuss is over this new Maligus buff. It just seems like such a silly way to "fix" the Maligus problem - by just turning it into Fashion+.
    A way to fashion faster has always been the dream, I personally would have just made Maligus lower fashioning speed when attuned or something but whatever. As long as fashioning is faster I'm happy.

Edit: By lowering fashioning speed I mean Vodun Fashioning speed not invoke Maligus, manaleech is meh but it does the same job really. Maligus has always been meh, they nerf or buff it to become either 1. Usable, or 2. unusable so why not just change it to something that adds to strategy rather then something that you can invoke?
  • Wait... they -buffed- shaman? Oh lordy
  • Aegoth said:
    Wait... they -buffed- shaman? Oh lordy
    Yeah after nerfing us like 10x
  • New Shaman + Maligus less powerful than old Shaman w/ stupid mangle.

Definitely more fun though, what with the fashion spamming being minimized.
  • edited July 2015
    If the intent is for you to just be able to curse manaleech/invoke soulrend instead of fashioning...why not just change the truefashion chance to make it the same fashions per second as that? How does curse manaleech/invoke maligus offer anything at all interesting to combat versus normal fashioning? I guess fashioning is still nice when you're making dolls of friends and when people are shielding, but this change still feels pretty limp.
    Announce says Manaleech is now considered a "prerequisite" to soulrend. It afflicts manaleech and give flat 3 fashions. It does not limit Shamans to spam manaleech soulrend, but definitely can't stop anyone wanting to just keybind that. Shamans can still initiate with manaleech and use other momentums like bleed to drain mana and enjoy soulrend with higher fashions when target mana is low. The incentive to drain mana is still enormous, vs plain manaleech invoke soulrend.

Maligus should require some prep. That should be its niche. It shouldn't be useable like normal fashion to slow-prep. If your opponent is running as soon as they see you setting up for soulrend, then that's fine! Use normal fashions against them! If your opponent is slow-prepping you and can get away with running frequently without losing momentum, that's an opponent who you shouldn't use Maligus on. Just like kill sequences shouldn't be inescapable, neither should soulrend sequences. The problem wasn't that Maligus was escapable, the problem was that it was too hard/impossible against opponents with too-large pools of mana.
    You are right, attending to the fact of draining mana against high mana pool (artied) targets is definitely more appropriate, but I bet it is more complicated to get it balanced without sacrificing benefits of getting artefacts. But I do feel appropriate changes may arrive some time in future, for one I am sure bleed, Teraile bleed and Maligus drain can have a scaled effect.

To be fair, Manaleech soulrend can be adjusted to 2 for Shamans without Truefashion, and increased to 3 for Shamans with Truefashion. This will balance the fact that now every Shaman with or without truefashion can manaleech invoke soulrend and get the SAME 3 fashions.

@Tael Your suggestions coming from scaling point of view is right. 

• edited July 2015
    @Dochitha: The point I was trying to make about it being a replacement for fashioning is that the problematic cases, where someone can't be targeted with Maligus because of their mana pool (something that requires no skill - merely the right stats and artefacts), are now just handled by having what amounts to a different alias for fashion that gives a few more fashions per second. And, while there's still incentive against lesser opponents to exploit Maligus more fully, if you weren't bothering and were just straight fashioning, now you can fashion faster by just rewriting your fashion alias to manaleech/soulrend.

Regarding Teraile bleed, that probably shouldn't be scaled. You can't just scale up the amount of bleeding based on someone's mana because bleeding, unclotted, is also dangerous to, and not to mana, but to health. Maligus drain maybe, but passive, scaled drain as a mere side effect of cursing is also a fairly boring. Really, what needs to scale is not the bleeding itself or the direct drain, but the clotting cost - that's the thing that actually targets mana and that's the thing you want to scale on. What is needed is some sort of curse or invocation (hell, maybe manaleech itself) that makes clotting costs scale with max mana.

Regarding artefacts still being useful, that isn't a problem for health artefacts and attacks that target health. Health artefacts are among the most popular despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of attacks that target health have a percentile component. The crucial thing is that attacks have both a static and a scaled portion - the existence of that static portion means having a larger pool is still useful. And artefacts that reduce how much mana it costs to clot would still be very useful too.
  • edited July 2015
    never mind, don't want to get involved and this wasn't really relevant.
  • @Tael Nice! Yes scaling to clotting. That makes it easy not to touch anything bleed related.

I can think of some aura/attunement to a spirit, say even Maligus itself, that makes enemies in the same room as the Shaman cost more mana to clot, and this effect can have flat and scaled cost to mana.
  • Think less boring. I have an idea for bloodlet that would accomplish this. Essentially changing to a small bleed over time during which clot would require a percentage of mana to bleed.

Also could potentially remove the manaleech effect for an extra skill in vodun that made fashion give 2 fashions everytime instead of one. This would be a slight nerf to fashion count, but I think Shaman could take it. Have a bunch of other ideas I plan on submitting next classleads, we'll have to see how that goes.
  • If you're going to Vegas, I will legit fly down just to buy you a beer and hop back on a plane and go home. Worth.

• I am going to Vegas.
  • edited July 2015
    The problem I see with requiring manaleech to be stuck one round for this bonus is we have two options to stick manaleech.

1) Blight, probably the best possible option at the moment. The second everyone realizes they can just trigger blight to send curing predict manaleech because we can't take advantage of them being off smoke balance, they will. This also knocks down two birds with one stone, allowing a check of whether or not blight gave asthma. This is not a long term option.

2) Straight swiftcurse to stick manaleech. The fastest possible combo I see is:

0: manaleech/cured
    1: manaleech
    1.5 cured
    2:manaleech
    3: soulrend, manaleech cured
    5: Restart

This is 5 seconds balance for 3 fashions. This is actually slower than normal fashioning on average, and this also isn't taking into account any hindrance thrown at us, or the need to put up swiftcurse. I guess this was why the bonus was initially so high, that makes sense heh.

I'll leave it to you Makarios, although honestly with the changes to vodun I felt the new increased fashion speed worked pretty well. We have similar reliability for vodun kills now compared to other prep classes, and the speed up allowed us to match other prep classes in kill attempts (although I was exceeding the speed of Blademaster after the initial kill attempt. This is more a problem of vodun costs than it is with the increased fashion speed though).

• Manaleech gives u the option to stay permanently on momentum and not even think about slow prepping with fashion.. You are pressuring a lock constantly while gaining fashions.

sure you may hit your ultimate goal of say 30 fashions at the same or faster speed just fashioning but you are not hindering or pressuring anything on your opponent which means that they should outprep you.

this change helps vs higher mana pools because you can safely always use momentum to get fashions whereas before u were risking never getting any.
  • edited July 2015
    Manaleech would give us the option to stay permanently on momentum if we could still swiftcurse with soulrend, but we can't so any attempt to use soulrend in this manner will lose all momentum, especially because the majority of that momentum would require sticking both asthma and manaleech. Once soulrend is used, these will likely be cured before balance is regained, essentially resetting momentum.

Previous to the swiftcurse change to soulrend, I had a curse string that stuck manaleech. People would consistently run as soon as manaleech was stuck regardless, so I stopped wasting my time with it.
  • You can't swiftcurse manaleech?
  • Of course you can. It's just a pipe cure so you need to stick asthma into it for a couple of rounds of soulrend.

• edited July 2015
    Meant swiftcurse soulrend, sorry folks. But yeah, sticking manaleech + asthma for more than one round of soulrend would require a large kelp stack and a lot of luck. The chances of actually being allowed that kind of momentum by anyone is slim (outside of fighting a few momentum classes)
  • I can see your concerns, but a few things to note:

1: blademaster is very, very fast. I try to use that as the upper limit of prep speed, as its built to be very good at that with some significant drawbacks in other areas to accommodate that potency (shaman is strong in a lot of the areas blademaster is weak). DWC and SNB knights are a much closer ballpark to what I'd hope to aim for with shaman.

2: I more intended manaleech as a seudo momentum mechanic. Just to clear up confusion (as I noted some earlier from some people in the thread), the manadrain from curses is percentile, not flat. Clot is flat. The issue you get from dealing with artefacted people tends to be that their sip is absolutely huge compared to unartefacted people, but that should be accountable for to a degree (impatience halving mana sips might be something to investigate there, for instance).

3: the manaleech thing is also useable as an opportunism thing. For instance, you could fashion sometimes and manaleech/relapse when Syvis is not on cooldown, etc.

You can be sure I'll be keeping a closer eye on this particular issue than previously though, I'd not heard many concerns about it until recently.

• edited July 2015
    Yeah, manaleech relapse is an option. Again in the fastest possible scenario that is about .5 seconds faster than the above straight manaleech combo. Still slower or matches fashion speed if we do just a straight theorycraft of it, assuming 50% chance of truefashion (I don't actually know the value here, if this is higher this just makes manaleech worst). Again this only matters at the current value of the manaleech bonus so if that is tweaked this is entirely irrelevant.

0: manaleech relapse manaleech
    1: manaleech
    2.5-3: soulrend
    4.5-5: balance back, 3 fashions.

Normal fashioning:
    0: fashion, 1.5 on average
    2: fashion, 1.5 on average
    4: balance, 3 total fashions and also don't need to worry about your momentum being screwed up.

Anyhow regardless of the theorycrafting, the main problem I've reiterated several times is the ability to actually maintain momentum. In for instance a change to impatience to halve mana sip, or sticking manaleech these all require time to become effective. Time which prep classes don't allow, as they walk away from a cursing Shaman and laugh while they maintain momentum. This ability to walk away from curses is of course the main place where vodun finds use, to hold people in place to attempt a kill.

So in effect, any change requiring more momentum to gain more fashions only helps against classes that Shaman is already well suited to fight with a minimum of vodun, however the cost increases are hurting Shaman against classes where they actually need vodun, and cannot really drain mana effectively without giving those classes incentive to walk away having gained prep whilst the Shaman futilely gained little or no prep attempting to drain enough mana to use Soulrend.

Hopefully that's clear, I think I've reiterated this point more than enough now. I'll shut up I promise >.>

EDIT/Disclaimer: This is not a post saying Shaman need movement restriction of any kind. This is mainly a post detailing where vodun is effective and where maligus is effective. Why these are different, and why this is a potential problem with vodun prices being balanced around Maligus. This is stating the reality of Shaman as it exists currently (minus current manaleech stuff), and requests no changes -at all- to the class. Really. Seriously.
  • Why not make soulrend invokable after swiftcurse, but on a short cooldown (3 secs or so), so it doesn't interrupt momentum at all, if that's the idea, but doesn't give fashions at a too ridiculous rate.
  • Makarios said:

I can see your concerns, but a few things to note:

1: blademaster is very, very fast. I try to use that as the upper limit of prep speed, as its built to be very good at that with some significant drawbacks in other areas to accommodate that potency (shaman is strong in a lot of the areas blademaster is weak). DWC and SNB knights are a much closer ballpark to what I'd hope to aim for with shaman.

2: I more intended manaleech as a seudo momentum mechanic. Just to clear up confusion (as I noted some earlier from some people in the thread), the manadrain from curses is percentile, not flat. Clot is flat. The issue you get from dealing with artefacted people tends to be that their sip is absolutely huge compared to unartefacted people, but that should be accountable for to a degree (impatience halving mana sips might be something to investigate there, for instance).

3: the manaleech thing is also useable as an opportunism thing. For instance, you could fashion sometimes and manaleech/relapse when Syvis is not on cooldown, etc.

You can be sure I'll be keeping a closer eye on this particular issue than previously though, I'd not heard many concerns about it until recently.

My issue is very very simple this is all aimed toward locking someone. No strategy that I have ever made, and I get that I'm not the BEST combatant out there but hear me out, is that even if you swiftcurse manaleech/syvis relapse they just smoke on relapse and done. Best case scenario is that you stick asthma but then they eat kelp smoke and done so you're basically letting them out of a lock to get fashions. I see no way that is helpful in the least, I could have just relapsed anorexia, coagulated slickness with some paralyse or impatience filler. It doesn't seem helpful in the least.

I also get that you are trying to make Shaman a basic generic unfun class like all the others, but the best part of Shaman is how many different ways you can play with it. If you are planning to make it like other classes what is the point of having the class? If I wanted to be DWC I would roll a knight and I definitely don't want to be SNB that shit is blah and boring.
  • Achimrst said:

I also get that you are trying to make Shaman a basic generic unfun class like all the others, 
    Cause that's totally how you phrase something when you want something else done.

• Shaman has more options available to it than any other class, by far, and is one of the most fun classes to play. Good job on the changes Makarios, don't listen to certain people who clearly have no clue what they are talking about.

• Shaman hasn't really changed at all in terms of how it gets kills and the amount of variety it has. The reference to knights was only that shaman -prep- time should be similar to other classes, for fairness and balance.

Unsure what you're on about in terms of somehow making it more boring or bland.

• Xinna said:

Shaman hasn't really changed at all in terms of how it gets kills and the amount of variety it has. The reference to knights was only that shaman -prep- time should be similar to other classes, for fairness and balance.

Unsure what you're on about in terms of somehow making it more boring or bland.

I didn't say it was currently boring or bland, just that trying to make Shaman class like the knight classes is going to make it boring and bland. I can roll a knight for that right? Why would I want to be a Shaman when I can do it better as a knight.

I mean all Makarios said was " DWC and SNB knights are a much closer ballpark to what I'd hope to aim for with shaman." Which is true, SNB ~= Curses for locking/tzantza while DWC ~= Bleeding Inflame kill. 

We aren't knights! Plz stop trying to make us one?
  • He's talking about rate of fashion gain should reach the point of a decent kill attempt at the same point that DWC or SNB have completed their prep for their kill attempt. Shush.
  • Amranu said:
    He's talking about rate of fashion gain should reach the point of a decent kill attempt at the same point that DWC or SNB have completed their prep for their kill attempt. Shush.
    Yet you basically proved the fashion rate was slower, how about stop trying to use Maligus to give us fashions through cursing and make it useful to actual Vodun so we can just fashion? That would stop all the "Balance it around curse speed and fashion speed" dilemma right?
  • edited July 2015
    He hasn't made any changes yet. My theorycrafting is just proving that the current bonus from manaleech wouldn't work, which doesn't really mean much anyhow as that can be tweaked based on what Mak wants to see.

It should be pointed out that the current bonus of 3 is half of what it was originally. Makarios has already stated he wasn't expecting the current usage. A bonus of 6 on any of that theorycrafting would work fine for instance. Still slower than currently, but that's reasonable.