Perceived commodity availability

2»

Comments

• I would agree with the comms @Josoul mentioned, but I'd rearrange their places for Cyrene slightly.

-Main problematic comms: Iron, gold

Iron is in very short supply. Because of people trying to max out their forging ability/skill/mastery.

Gold is -always- a problem. In the time I've been MoT, I've never had the amount of gold we set as the goal. Not that it is used in both forging and enchantments, it's pretty impossible to get.

-Secondary problems: Leather, Lacquer, Wood 

Gold and leather - both because there are so few places to get them and they are used in forging and enchanting. After a comm run, I regularly have fewer than 100 of these to add to my rift. I do 3-4 comm runs a day.

Lacquer - it's always in short supply because forgers perceive it is the cheapest way to his Master.

-Minor problems: Cloth, Ice, Steel.

Ice was a problem during the Extermination Wars and Steel can be a problem if a forger decides to make a run for Mastery.

Cyrene has plenty of steel and ice for the moment. We sell a good deal during the year, but because we have aides awake at all times of the day, we get good deals on it. If there is steel or ice over 50 in the shop and the price is at or under our buy price, we buy it down to 50. 

Numbers and trends

Steel and gold have always been in short supply. Steel is a bit less now because there's no reason to sit and forge for days to get fabulous stats, but that bonus was tempered by getting only 10% back when smelting.

I don't know if numbers are what you want, @Sarapis but here are Cyrene's numbers right now. These are shown in percentages of the maximum amount we have sold in a year, times two. 

Steel      107.46%
    Wood       93.89%
    Iron       30.97%
    Leather    81.50%
    Coal 308.37%
    Obsidian   269.13%
    Cloth      147.71%
    Gold       62.64%
    Rope       177.89%
    Ice        446.00%
    Silver     173.34%
    Gems       215.80%
    Platinum   186.46%
    Bone       111.51%
    Lacquer 47.58%
    Stone 150.00%

I'm not sure what I've said improves on what everyone above has said, but thought I should weigh in at least.

Thanks for looking into this.
  • edited June 2015
    Lisbethae said:
    Ice was a problem during the Extermination Wars and Steel can be a problem if a forger decides to make a run for Mastery.
    As long as there's a Druid around with Reclamation up to Regrowth, you really don't need to worry about having ice for exterms. Nowadays, at any rate.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• If the amount of gold commodity you require can be satisfied by a trade satchel, then you are not using gold for much and won't feel the frustration.  But even for personal use numbers I stand by iron, gold and leather being a a problem.

• Tibitha said:
    I'd just like to know who the hell is buying all the iron? I've gone around to the island shop, on off-peak times and I've yet to see a single iron supply above like... 38.
    The issue with iron is its extremely slow restock rate.
  • @Inuad  - can you expand on the post above? How many are made per day?
  • Lisbethae said:
    @Inuad  - can you expand on the post above? How many are made per day?
    I missed two shops, so I don't have full data for iron, but the five shops I do have produce ~31/hour. Or ~744/ RL day.

Of course, @Sarapis or @Tecton could have made adjustments to the restock rate since I last checked, but based on the scarcity of iron, I somewhat doubt that.
  • edited June 2015
    Lisbethae said:
    I would agree with the comms @Josoul mentioned, but I'd rearrange their places for Cyrene slightly.

-Main problematic comms: Iron, gold

Iron is in very short supply. Because of people trying to max out their forging ability/skill/mastery.

Gold is -always- a problem. In the time I've been MoT, I've never had the amount of gold we set as the goal. Not that it is used in both forging and enchantments, it's pretty impossible to get.

-Secondary problems: Leather, Lacquer, Wood 

Gold and leather - both because there are so few places to get them and they are used in forging and enchanting. After a comm run, I regularly have fewer than 100 of these to add to my rift. I do 3-4 comm runs a day.

Lacquer - it's always in short supply because forgers perceive it is the cheapest way to his Master.

-Minor problems: Cloth, Ice, Steel.

Cyrene has plenty of steel and ice for the moment. We sell a good deal during the year, but because we have aides awake at all times of the day, we get good deals on it. If there is steel or ice over 50 in the shop and the price is at or under our buy price, we buy it down to 50. 

Numbers and trends

Steel and gold have always been in short supply. Steel is a bit less now because there's no reason to sit and forge for days to get fabulous stats, but that bonus was tempered by getting only 10% back when smelting.

I don't know if numbers are what you want, @Sarapis but here are Cyrene's numbers right now. These are shown in percentages of the maximum amount we have sold in a year, times two. 

Steel      107.46%
    Wood       93.89%
    Iron       30.97%
    Leather    81.50%
    Coal 308.37%
    Obsidian   269.13%
    Cloth      147.71%
    Gold       62.64%
    Rope       177.89%
    Ice        446.00%
    Silver     173.34%
    Gems       215.80%
    Platinum   186.46%
    Bone       111.51%
    Lacquer 47.58%
    Stone 150.00%

I'm not sure what I've said improves on what everyone above has said, but thought I should weigh in at least.

Thanks for looking into this.
    That is pretty informative @Lisbethae

It pretty well conforms to what most people perceive.

Regarding Lacquer that is a bit of an oddity since it is only used for forging as far as I am aware and you can only get it on Meropis and Zanzi. It is used in pretty much 90-95% (not logged in to get an exact count but it will be close to this) of all the Virtuoso and Master Blacksmith descriptors since the majority of these are colours. So every forger who considers going for grandmaster or legendary is going to need it in large quantities.

Ice is an odd one too and I hear complaints about it a lot.
  • oh, I also apologise for being one of the assholes buying up a lot of Iron, Steel and Lacquer of late. I swear I have calmed down with my acquisition runs... a little :)
  • Draekar said:
    oh, I also apologise for being one of the assholes buying up a lot of Iron, Steel and Lacquer of late. I swear I have calmed down with my acquisition runs... a little :)
    Buying up a lot of commodities isn't that bad. It's buying a shop to 0 (or under 50, really) that makes you an asshole.
  • Inuad said:
    Buying up a lot of commodities isn't that bad. It's buying a shop to 0 (or under 50, really) that makes you an asshole.
    Lis is a great lover of formalities and hierarchy, in her own way, but I find the response humorous when Lis reports/informs Trade Ministers about people in their city that buy out village comm shops. It is nearly universally, "Yeah, <name> is like that."