yet another class thread

edited July 2015 in General Questions
So i've been playing both a magi and serpent to level 21 and was wondering if a serpent is as hard as everyone makes it out to be later on for hunting/pvp?

How well do these both classes perform with hunting at later levels and with pvp (both group and 1v1)?

oh and is cyrene a good city choice for rp and learning?
I'm new to achaea and TIA

Comments

• No class is difficult when it comes to hunting. Some have higher endurance/willpower drains or take more damage or deal less damage, so they're not all equally good, but they're all completely straightforward and simple.

In general, when hunting at higher levels, magi will be tankier (especially against physical damage), serpent will have better offence.

I can't really answer the rest very well.
  • For hunting, both classes are more or less fine. They're equally complex (though both very simple) for hunting. Really, all classes are fairly simple and very similar when it comes to hunting. Serpent is actually a very strong class for hunting with scalemail, damage reduction from SCALES, garrote scaling off of dex (which you'll want to be high anyway), and very fast traveling with wormholes.

For PvP, they're both fairly complex too. Serpent used to be much harder when combat was balanced around illusions. It's easier now, but you still need a strong handle on how afflictions work. It's not really any more complicated than other affliction classes anymore though.

Magi is probably easier, but managing vibrations and the new golem thing still leaves you with a fair amount of complexity.

Cyrene is a fine city, though it de-emphasizes PvP in favour of pretty much everything else. There's definitely RP, though the fact that it isn't strongly aligned factionally means that it can be a little less directed - but if you like the idea of "slice of life" RP or artistry or things like that, Cyrene is great. If you want to learn to PvP, while it's possible in Cyrene, it'll be a lot easier to find people to help you and spar with you for practice in just about any other city, and there are probably going to be fewer opportunities to engage in group PvP. At the very least, it's a fine city to start in - if you find that you want to get into PvP more, you can always leave and join another later.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Having a decent understanding of both magi and serpent, I still think that serpent is easier.  I can do decent as a serpent with ten aliases or so.  Magi I have like thirty.  Obviously it will boil down to personal choice, though.  I have taken magi further than serpent, so don't let the alias counts scare you off. 

For hunting, I would say serpent is less drain and probably kills quicker. You don't have to worry about buying a diadem, either. Magi has much better defense though, in my opinion.  
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    as for the cities, personally I'd just say to make an alt, spend some time in each of the cities, get a feel for the people, the atmosphere and the RP of each, and decide from there. 
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."