America!

Congratulations to all of America, but especially to our gay brothers and sisters. About goddam time.

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Exciting day! Wish I was going to Seattle's Pride weekend, because I know it's going to be the most memorable one yet. Plus Seattle has all of these new great rainbow crosswalks that the mayor had put in.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Now accepting applications for my new mandatory gay marriage partner buddy.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Okay,  I waited 5 posts before asking: is anyone else wondering why @Sarapis spelled 'merica wrong? 
  • Political correctness. Also the vast abundance of grammar nazis that stalk and/or play Achaea.

Also 'murica.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

@Sarapis where's our :pride: smiley?
    Huh. Neat.
  • SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    My first thought to 'America!' was 'Fuck Yeah.' But then I opened the thread, and my opinion didn't change. Obviously this is going to be fought and fought, but I think this is a positive, progressive step for the US.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tael said:
    It's nice to see people celebrating something the government's done for a change.

And I imagine this Pride weekend is going to be insane.
    FTFY
    Huh. Neat.
  • EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited June 2015
    incoming gay depression until we have a 21st amendment equivalent

p.s. not claiming prohibition caused the great depression
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Out of curiousity. How many Amendments are there?
  • Tahquil said:
    Out of curiousity. How many Amendments are there?
    27. Wikipedia has a list of them.
  • not sure if that really counts as halfway through them, because bill of rights
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    I signed on today and was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a post about this.. but... 

I approve of a forum post. 

I <3 everyone 

• Tael said:

I'm also curious what all of my straight friends are going to use to prove to one another how progressive they are now that this whole fight is won.
    Marriage equality in Australia. 
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • @Tael - Trans recognition, or something. Battle is won, war is not over yet though.

• Yeah, embarrassingly Australia still needs to progress as do other countries. There are probably also a bunch of smaller fights that are could come up as people get gay married. 

Beyond that, this is only one issue for people under the LGBTIQA umbrella. Trans visibility, Homelessness, Mental Health, and just a lot of stuff around our early experiences in life are all things that need to be improved. 
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    This seems appropriate:

My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • Sarapis said:
    Sarieno said:
    My first thought to 'America!' was 'Fuck Yeah.' But then I opened the thread, and my opinion didn't change. Obviously this is going to be fought and fought, but I think this is a positive, progressive step for the US.
    Only way to fight a Supreme Court decision is outright rebellion or changing the Constitution to ban it, which is definitely not going to happen. This fight is over.
    Not quite true - a future ruling can overturn this one, but that has to have to be one that both makes it through the appeals process and which SCOTUS considers worthy of its time to review. Since this was just decided very thoroughly, it's unlikely any challenge will appear any time soon, but it can still happen through the judicial system. The longer it lasts, though, the more it will just be normalized and so the fight is really going to die down. I don't see a challenge appearing any time after ten years from now.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    The most you'll probably hear is threats to make a constitutional amendment or repeal the fourteenth amendment. Both are pretty laughable, but ludicrous has been the GOPs trademark lately.
  • Republicans looking to lose the election early this go round.
  • Ok, let's keep overt politics out of this please. No Republicans/Democrats suck, etc.