Allow an artefact that lets a Blademaster choose the name of his or her blade

13»

Comments

• Patron-dependency will be a big problem, though, since that's entirely dependent on having an active patron, something which is rare for all six cities to enjoy simultaneously, and non-Patron admin aren't allowed to intervene to help.
  • @Jacen Aren't there active patrons in all 6 cities currently?  or is @Phaestus sleeping again?  I know the other 5 have slightly active patrons at the very least.

• Tael said:
    And orgs and god could do whatever else they want too - maybe Sartan hands down the Shield of the Faith and Vastar the Galebow or something like that.
    Well, @Aodfionn carries around the Staff of Celestia, and @Daeir had it before him, I think? Don't know if it does anything special beyond being shiny, though. Before that I think the Church had special items given to the Archprelate. I don't know if the Dread Ecclesiwhatsit for Necromancy has a similar item to the Staff, but I'm 95% sure that the High Warden of Nature doesn't.

There's the Staff of Nicator as well, for whoever's the current Lord of the Crossing.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I was given a Bazaar by @Rinzai one time when I was still Mojushai. It was a Kashari scabbard. I passed it on to another BM who then Passed it on to another they felt earned it. (It was made non decay).  But Somewhere along the line someone went dormant with it still in hand. Sad day that happened as it was the death of a new tradition.

• edited June 2015
    Yeah, there would need to be a way to deal with dormancy... These ideas about "elite" swords are fun and interesting, and Tael's in particular, strives to make it actually have some real meaning, but most of the people who are really good at killing people don't seem to care that much about this sort of thing (even though I am sure there are exceptions).  They are more often the guy who will kill you with "Rabid Rabbits" and, if they consider it at all, they'll chuckle about the idea of killing people with a ridiculously named sword.  Still, love that this thread seems to have led to letting people have some more control over what they want to do with their weapons, because in general, unless there is a REALLY compelling reason to restrict something, it simply shouldn't be restricted any more than necessary. 
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    The Staff of Celestia works exactly how @Tahquil described. I won't get into detail, but it is indeed passed along down between Deacons.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • In another game I won't say : there were items coded specially to positions. If someone else tried to use the item it would vanish and the person meant to wield it would summon it back. Stops patron and general dormancy issues.
  • Tahquil said:
    In another game I won't say : there were items coded specially to positions. If someone else tried to use the item it would vanish and the person meant to wield it would summon it back. Stops patron and general dormancy issues.
    Pretty much the same thing, old Pentharian order items were like this. If you tried to wear the platinum bracers, at least, they burned you, turned to ash and disappeared. Hermes had a gambling chip that if you try to play with it as not an order member you fumbled and dropped it.

• edited June 2015

If something like that does happen, it would be neat to see it go to a designated "champion" of sorts, like Tael described, rather than a leader necessarily.  I mean, perhaps it would be the same person in some cases, but probably often not.  You probably would need a "position", at least mechanically, like Tahquil describes, but it really might just be a vehicle to keep passing this weapon to your "best" fighter.  I have a bad feeling it would all end badly (hi, politics) in some places, and work incredibly well in others. 

EDIT:  so, I guess it wouldn't really all end badly, more like, partly badly, partly very well.