Allow smiths to put forging descriptors on ARTEFACT weapons

Hi there,

I am not sure what rationale there should be to reject this one.

Currently, normally-smithed weapons can have fancy descriptors. But for an artefact weapon, one must Customize it to do so. The problem with the customization is that you're kinda stuck with the custom. For most stuff, yeah, you should be stuck with the custom.

But Weaponsmithing seems currently to be a LOT less relevant than it really should be. Most people are sporting artie weapons. So, smithing in this way could become a lot MORE relevant as you have the smith expend the comms needed for a descriptor on an artie weapon.

The comms and comm expenditures needed to accomplish a descriptor should be identical to those needed to do this on a non-artefact weapon. A size 3 artefact should require size 3 comms.

So, a Soulpiercer becomes "an alabaster diamond-edged Soulpiercer". The Logosian broadsword becomes "an ornate blackened Logosian broadsword." And so on.

Do not allow any stat modifications with this option, merely the cosmetic. Also, there would need to be some way for the smith to remove the descriptor so another one could be put in its place. I'd strongly recommend only allowing a smith of the same or higher rank as the descriptor to allow this removal. It would make sense for an Apprentice weaponsmith to be unable to remove a job done by a Journeyman or for a Journeyman to be unable to remove a job done by a Master. Aside from making sense intrinsically, this would provide good incentive for people to reach higher weaponsmith ranks.

This would tremendously increase the relevance of weaponsmithing and also tremendously increase the fun for people with artie weapons, while still leaving the comm costs for any weapon a person might want modified. I think without impacting artie weapons, the current system is a lot less relevant than it deserves to be.

Any non-descriptor customizations should still require the 50 cr fee, so the vast majority of stuff a person might want should still require the customizations process. The ONLY thing I am suggesting for smiths to be able to do is to put the forging descriptors on the artie weapon, I am not suggesting any other customizable options to be attainable with this idea. The change, if implemented, should be made in such a way as to allow any other customizable options to work and make sense with the forging descriptors put on the weapon by a smith.

Thank you for reading my idea.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I can imagine they could deny this so there is no alternative to paying 50cr for a customisation. That being said, I like the idea.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Sarapis said:
    I like the idea, and you should 'idea' it, though it's not going to happen tomorrow or whatnot.
    @Sarapis : Great! I'll Idea it right away, thank you.