Solid class/house for learning both basics and advanced game features

Hi all! I understand that a question like this must be one of the most asked on the forum, but after reading dozens of similar ones I couldn't find a thread that is both up to date and has the same searching conditions that I have. So here it goes - please advise me a solid class to put time and effort in that would:
- be versatile and deep enough in PvP for me to both learn the basics in the beginning and to uncover or maybe even invent new strategies later on when I practice and understand things better;
- to be preferably defense-based. What I mean here is that I usually like to play defensively and prefer to counter opponents offence and riposte rather than rushing at him trying to suppress with offence. So defensive and control potential of the class is a big plus;

- it's great if the class has some utility, both non-combat and group combat, but I prefer to be more secure when isolated (being able to survive and retreat if outnumbered is a plus too) rather than to be essential in a group combat;

- Class shouldn't seriously hinder me in bashing on the other hand. It doesn't really have to be swift bashing of an unstoppable killing machine, but solid enough to do it on a constant basis without me getting bored of down times or hit-and-runs;

- I would prefer to stay away from good/evil-centric classes/cities, but it's not a must.

If a class I described exists, please also advise me a nice active house while we're at it - I have tried several houses in several cities before and it's discouraging to always see 1-2 house members online during my play time (that is CET +3, evening past 8pm or so). Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• I had a big post typed out, but @Aereidhna pretty well covered it. I'll also say Jester has a stupid amount of utility and tricks, and a fairly high skill cap. Cyrene is very active in general, and from what I hear the CIJ is also doing a lot, which you can also join as a Jester, Bard, Serpent, or Magi, all good classes ( @Aktillum or @Seraya can confirm CIJ related stuffs?)

Regardless of what you choose, welcome and enjoy, you'll find people willing to help -everywhere-.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Runewarden is surely on my personal short list I have from reading classes descriptions, besides I used to have quite a big interest in Scandinavian mythology back when I was a student, but something stops me from picking that class right away somewhy. Perhaps I shouldn't get so concerned, pick a class and then change it indeed.  Serpent, on the other hand, would be a no-brainer for me should it have the annoyance and nearly endless possibilities of theft you would imagine a class like that would have. But from I have read, it has been limited by hardcoding and it will surely make me feel bad even though I never experienced what it used to be before. Not meaning to start a theft goods and bads flame in any way, shape or form though :)

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Dimita said:

Runewarden is surely on my personal short list I have from reading classes descriptions, besides I used to have quite a big interest in Scandinavian mythology back when I was a student, but something stops me from picking that class right away somewhy. Perhaps I shouldn't get so concerned, pick a class and then change it indeed.  Serpent, on the other hand, would be a no-brainer for me should it have the annoyance and nearly endless possibilities of theft you would imagine a class like that would have. But from I have read, it has been limited by hardcoding and it will surely make me feel bad even though I never experienced what it used to be before. Not meaning to start a theft goods and bads flame in any way, shape or form though :)

First, I'd like to point out that as far as 1v1 goes, serpent is definitely not a 'beginner' class. Its certainly something you'd have to work at if you were interested. I'd suggest Blademaster personally, fairly simple kill setup, versatile, Shindo has great utility.
    Huh. Neat.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    With the complexity of counting limbs as a blademaster, I would probably recommend serpent over that.  Serpents used to be considered the most complex, but with the illusion nerfs, I would probably say it's easier than counting limbs.  Plus, if all else fails, you can lean on snipe. 
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Druid/Sentinel. 

It's got a lot of utility - and a lot of things that help keep you alive, as well as a lot of options for escaping, getting around the continent, and that sort of thing.

I don't understand combat enough well to speak to Druid's ability to fight, but I do know that Sentinel - when wielded by someone creative like Mizik - is absolutely terrifying. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Austere said:
    With the complexity of counting limbs as a blademaster, I would probably recommend serpent over that.  Serpents used to be considered the most complex, but with the illusion nerfs, I would probably say it's easier than counting limbs.  Plus, if all else fails, you can lean on snipe. 
    I suspect this attitude may be the result of having a lot of knowledge about afflictions already - it probably seems easier than it is for newer people. I think affliction combat is pretty unintuitive to most people and, in practice, I've heard of a lot more people finding serpent harder than blademaster and seen a lot more midbie blademasters doing better than midbie serpents, even after the changes to make illusions less essential.

And blademaster limb counting isn't that hard. You could do fine against most people without even having any kind of counter and just doing a test break with alternating slashes - since most setups require more than one double-break anyway, doing one more to see what it takes to break isn't that bad. If you understand the rough relationship between slashes, off-slashes, and compass, you can figure out the fastest path to a double-break on a person after one test.
    Tael said:
    Austere said:
    I suspect this attitude may be the result of having a lot of knowledge about afflictions already - it probably seems easier than it is for newer people. I think affliction combat is pretty unintuitive to most people and, in practice, I've heard of a lot more people finding serpent harder than blademaster and seen a lot more midbie blademasters doing better than midbie serpents, even after the changes to make illusions less essential.

And blademaster limb counting isn't that hard. You could do fine against most people without even having any kind of counter and just doing a test break with alternating slashes - since most setups require more than one double-break anyway, doing one more to see what it takes to break isn't that bad. If you understand the rough relationship between slashes, off-slashes, and compass, you can figure out the fastest path to a double-break on a person after one test.
    There were no changes to make illusions less essential. There were changes making offensive illusions unuseable.

Also, second the alternateslash method.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    There were no changes to make illusions less essential. There were changes making offensive illusions unuseable.
    There were a lot of changes to make illusions less essential. Bite being sped up, flay giving venoms, slickness stripping sileris, etc.
    Sena said:
    Ahmet said:
    There were a lot of changes to make illusions less essential. Bite being sped up, flay giving venoms, slickness stripping sileris, etc.
    Pfft. Liessssss!
    Huh. Neat.
  • @Ahmet Does Shindo offer more utility than kaido does for monks? Because to me these two classes have quite alot in common, even though they're so different.

@Aodfionn Do Sylvans have less survivability and utility than other two forestal classes? As for Mizik, from what I have read on forums, I would imagine that any class being wielded by him is absolutely terrifying, I don't even hope to reach that degree of skill anytime soon if ever.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Sylvans have fewer random utility skills and don't get Track/Dash, but viridian form is beastly.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    Sylvans are in a good place for both group and solo combat. They do have one easy kill setup with Heartseed. The only thing is that you're going to be more of the aggressor as a Sylvan because you either want to prep for a Heartseed or out damage your opponent.
  • I'm curious whether any House is actually a great place to learn PvP at all.  It might be, but I have a feeling the best "ins" to PvP work slightly differently - so I am asking, both for my own curiosity, and because it might supply a better answer to the OP's question.  Even if my suspicion isn't correct, people will chime in with more great Houses (or more endorsements of Houses already mentioned) to prove their case. 
    Jules said:
    I'm curious whether any House is actually a great place to learn PvP at all.  It might be, but I have a feeling the best "ins" to PvP work slightly differently - so I am asking, both for my own curiosity, and because it might supply a better answer to the OP's question.  Even if my suspicion isn't correct, people will chime in with more great Houses (or more endorsements of Houses already mentioned) to prove their case. 
    I think it's less the house and more citizenship in a city-state that experiences conflict often that exposes many (not all, but many) to various PvP situations, from raids to retribution.
    Huh. Neat.