Failure for City Bounties

13»

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Jules said:

I do think city raiding is on the short list of things we don't actually want a large portion of the game involved in, and in Achaea, this system does probably work as something of a deterrent there for all but the top tier and some hangers on, who likely benefit from it more than I'd like, but I can't imagine how you'd address that.  Anyway, I'd rather not see 20 man raiding parties (but 20 man defense teams are great). 

I have things I agree and disagree with on this thread, but the bolded seems odd. Raiding is one of the many aspects of Achaea, and like all things, it is enjoyable to some, and not so enjoyable to others. Why should it be overall discouraged from the majority of the playerbase?
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited June 2015

Well, it doesn't really matter how you or I feel, in a sense (because the mechanic is what it is).  I am just saying "by the way, it does this, and I happen to like that". 

That said, it's because people who are in raiding parties are usually led by some of the most competent, seasoned combatants in the game, and they're going to tend to do well in the grand scheme of things, thanks to that fantastic leadership.  Meanwhile, city defenders are often doing the best they can with what they have, which might mean really good numbers if they're lucky.  But they're still taking on some of the best in the game. 

However, I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said, just saying it a bit differently, and from a different place. 

EDIT:  and a lot of these guys already self-limit raiding party size/composition anyway from everything I've ever seen or read, because they understand that delivering a punishing beat down isn't at all fun for the defenders, who are simply not on the same level in most cases, and it's a big deal for those people to venture into combat at all.

• Jules said:

Well, it doesn't really matter how you or I feel, in a sense (because the mechanic is what it is).  I am just saying "by the way, it does this, and I happen to like that". 

That said, it's because people who are in raiding parties are usually led by some of the most competent, seasoned combatants in the game, and they're going to tend to do well in the grand scheme of things, thanks to that fantastic leadership.  Meanwhile, city defenders are often doing the best they can with what they have, which might mean really good numbers if they're lucky.  But they're still taking on some of the best in the game. 

However, I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said, just saying it a bit differently, and from a different place. 

EDIT:  and a lot of these guys already self-limit raiding party size/composition anyway from everything I've ever seen or read, because they understand that delivering a punishing beat down isn't at all fun for the defenders, who are simply not on the same level in most cases, and it's a big deal for those people to venture into combat at all.

Hah. You obviously haven't raided with @Mithridates, who is just crazy all around. In a good way though.
  • This is why there is very little in Achaea to do on a casual basis. If you want to be involved in conflict, it's an all or nothing situation. There is no such thing as dabbling. And don't bring up the arena because that is nothing like experiencing the thrill of being either on the offensive or defensive sides of raids. I love raids, but hate 1v1 pk. It has nothing to do with fearing death - I die plenty enough to go around in another IRE game.

I'm not sure what can be done about making pk more accessible for casual players (players who don't play for hours every day), but systems like this do nothing to encourage them. If anything, they suffer penalties for daring to get involved.

• Itorvi, I agree with you so much in a general sense, but I think being part of the offensive for city raiding is a terrible vehicle for casual PK, and I'm glad there's a somewhat high bar in place.  We need more vehicles for dabbling, but being part of a raiding party shouldn't be one of them. 
  • ya, as much as I agree with you Itorvi, that is a game design problem.  The fact that we still have to initiate every single conflict situation on our own means that people have to be very seasoned to even want to participate.  This isn't something the bounty or raiding system will fix.  This is something that needs to be added to the game.

RIP Reckoning, you were this thing for a short time :(
  • edited June 2015
    Jhui said:
    RIP Reckoning, you were this thing for a short time :(
    Best month of Achaea ever.

Edit : minus the ending

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Whatever.  Team Yudhi4lyfe :3

• Must...not...rant..about...Reckoning...

I really don't see how allowing multiple people simultaneously to redeem it would not instantly devolve into ganking which is hardly meaningful pk interaction.

I wonder if something using the Infamy system might be useful?
  • Greys said:
    Generally speaking, I already tend to find myself Infamous (or close to it) after a lengthy enough border skirmish, which makes you open PK anyway.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Sarathai said:
    Greys said:
    Generally speaking, I already tend to find myself Infamous (or close to it) after a lengthy enough border skirmish, which makes you open PK anyway.
    only to other infamous people and marks, though?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Herose said:
    It would be awesome if the bounties made you open PK to the cities soldiers.  No need to claim the bounty.  It would be automatically added to the city log once someone is successful in completing the bounty and remove them from the bounty board.  Obviously, it would require some structure and rules around who can get a bounty placed on them but I think this is already in place.

In a perfect world, perhaps. In practice, people are going to miss that somebody was killed, or not check that the bounty is still in place before going to attack them, or a group is going to gank somebody through starburst (only one death of which would actually be legal) and it's going to cause all kinds of issues. There's a reason it doesn't, and shouldn't, work this way.