Serpent Arties

Jumping on the advice bandwagon, really tempted now they've added upgrades into the sale. Level 85, low health - 3700, 16 dex with the boots, 12 con. 90% of the time I hunt with a dragon, often with runes. Gotten a little into PK, and want to do more of that, so ideally want arties that will benefit both. 

I have: 

L2 Lash
L2 Dirk
L1 Bow
SoA
L1 Sip Ring
L1 Dex Boots (from globe, no I didn't prioritise buying these, I swear!)
3x Pipes
Quiver

Things I'm considering:

Lyre - I have to run every time I accidentally aggro stuff while hunting. This isn't -that- often, but it does account for 90% of my deaths, and a lot more rage/exp lost while out of room when stuff is dying. I'm wondering if the lyre would be better than another sort of health boost artie for someone with quite low health.

Pendant - L1 seems like a no brainer, not sure L2 is worth the extra 400 credits though, as it only gives benefit to hunting.

Sip Ring - Upgrade to L2, I've heard this is the best defensive artie out. 

Bow - Only 300 credits to upgrade to L2, or 750 to L3. I've heard Lupine is amazing, though I don't know how much use I'd get out of it.

Dirk - Also heard thoth's is amazing. Is the upgrade from 2-3 really worth it? Does it make combat much easier?

Belt, Bracelet, Vitality ring? 

Boots - ?? Not sure if 17 dex and buckawn's would push me to the speed cap for dirks? I don't know how it works really.

Comments

• Does anyone know where/what the speed cap is for whips/lashes is if there is one?

• edited June 2015
    Upgrade the sip ring to level 2, then grab a belt, probably. Bracelets if you really want the mana increase as well.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited June 2015
    There isn't a cap for whips/lashes as far as I know (assuming you're referring to dexterity boosting garrote speed against denizens). If there is a cap, it's at least 20 dex, which is higher than you can reach with just race+trait+artefacts.

For dirks, you're already at the speed cap with 16 dex and a L2 dirk, more dex won't speed it up further and the only benefit you'll get from upgrading your dirk is the faster cap (so you'll dstab at ~1.8s instead of ~1.9s). Alternatively, a L3 dirk would let you reduce your dex a bit without sacrificing speed; L3 and 14 dex is the same as L2 and 16 dex, and L3 and 15 dex is at the cap for L3. You'll still be giving up some bashing speed though.
  • Sip ring at least level 2 is fanstastic.

If you're going to get into PK you'll want Lupines for group as a serpent. It's ridiculously easy to get a lot of kills with just that 1 artifact as a serpent.

If you want to 1v1, you can do just fine with the lvl 2 dirk, but having a Thoth makes everything just seem more ridiculous (it really kind of is).

Artefact Tree

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • My mana is higher than my health... don't really need that. Don't need more endurance either though.

1 con only gives me around 260? Health. It's not much. I don't think I -can- reduce my dex to 15. Trait is con, spec is dex. Switching to con spec would lose 3 dex, dropping me to 13. Flipping the trait would up that to 14. Not sure how I could get 15 short up upgrading the boots or switching race though.

• Thanks for the responses btw, @Sena those numbers are very helpful.

So Lyre - crazy idea?

• edited June 2015
    Lyre is decent for bashing, but your balance gets so fast with artefact lash you can easily just leave if things are bad, above average for PK/raiding.

Ring of Flying for best raiding benefit:cost artefact though.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Only if you buy it before a sip ring or bracelets, with your health.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited June 2015
    Atavian, so can fly. I know ring of flying has a much nicer balance, but I don't think that's a huge priority for me right now.

Thing about the health is 500 health and 10% sip is NOT going to save me if I need to run, I'm talking like a keeper + 3 mhun. I couldn't tank that with the extra health. My health hits red in 5 or so seconds. Like I said I almost always hunt with a dragon, so I take minimal damage until I manage to catch all the aggro, then I nearly die in under 10 seconds, and when I run I lose out on xp while he's still killing them, and rage as it drops while I'm healing.

Rogue currently, so doubt I'll be doing much raiding anytime soon. Could change though.

• If I hunt solo, it's usually stuff for quests or gathering... so I don't need any buffs to health for that.

• edited June 2015

You said you were wanting to get stuff that benefitted both, but one of them seems to be a bigger issue to you.

Are you wanting to get better at hunting or PK?

If you want to get better at group PK then a Lupine, Thoth, RoF, Wand of Reflection, Lyre are all great arties for group.

If you want to get better at 1v1 PK, then you'll want Thoth and all the health stuff you can get.

For hunting a Thoth, crit pendant upgrade, lyre, and all the health arties you can get. Not really sure how you think a sip ring isn't going to help you. It's 10% more per sip at level 1. I was able to tank -a lot- better after my sips went from 900 per to 1200 per or whatever it was.

• edited June 2015
    Arties aren't going to make Keepers in Mog easy to tank, just as a heads up.

Also, if you're at the 'a little extra health or sip won't save me from dying to this room' situation, no arties will, because you'll just need to walk out of the room.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited June 2015
    Upgrading my ring from level 1-2 will not double my sip bonus. Of course you're going to tank WAY better when your health sip goes from 600 to 1200, but you're talking more arties than I can afford right now to get that, quite a lot more.

I'm not sure what you're saying @Atalkez, I'm pointing out the way I hunt is different to most people, because I'm not sure people are actually accepting that. I am fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, accidentally end up with a room full of aggro, nearly instantly dead. Fine, fine, fine. I'm not sure how a small boost to health or sip can help me there. I definitely do not want to spend a full 1500 credits on health boosts let alone more.

What do you mean Thoth for hunting?

• Valkyn said:
    Thing about the health is 500 health and 10% sip is NOT going to save me if I need to run, I'm talking like a keeper + 3 mhun. I couldn't tank that with the extra health.
    The simple answer to that is "don't try to solo-fight a keeper plus three other mobs at the same time" because you're probably trying to bash a room that is above your ability.
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• @Jarrod I know. That's why I asked if the lyre would be worth it. Tanking is what I have a pet dragon for!

• If you don't need to tank, L3 lash + crit pendant upgrades.

If you want to PK, Thoth's for higher max speed.

If you want to raid, get a lupine and make people hate you until you decide if you need/want to be in melee.

• edited June 2015
    Sarathai said:
    Valkyn said:
    Thing about the health is 500 health and 10% sip is NOT going to save me if I need to run, I'm talking like a keeper + 3 mhun. I couldn't tank that with the extra health.
    The simple answer to that is "don't try to solo-fight a keeper plus three other mobs at the same time" because you're probably trying to bash a room that is above your ability.
    I've said about three times now that I always hunt with a dragon. What I have trouble with is when he lags, or something happens, and the denizens catch sight of me before he hits.

• @Jarrod thanks. I guess I'll scrap the lyre idea for now. Lupine is sounding pretty tempting.

• Valkyn said:
    Sarathai said:
    Valkyn said:
    I've said about three times now that I always hunt with a dragon. What I have trouble with is when he lags, or something happens, and the denizens catch sight of me before he hits.
    You'll still be going from full to red in five seconds with a lyre unless you have it up continually, at which point you won't be able to do anything of consequence without the barrier vanishing.

There's already a couple of seconds wait-time before they attack anyway. If they start their emotes at you and your friend is lagging too much, just walk out for a few seconds until said dragon starts attacking. Problem solved.

• @Sarathai with the lyre my theory was use it only when I manage to over aggro somehow (infrequent, usually happens 2-3 times per large area, or several smaller ones) and wait inside the room still collecting xp and holding up rage while he finishes regaining aggro or kills a few of them, instead of running and losing those things. 

I'll try that suggestion, it might just work.

• Sorry I meant Lash for hunting, not Thoth - my bad!

I understand what you mean about the issue with your hunting, and I guess the health isn't going to really do anything for you as @Jarrod already said.

Lyre will help you in the situations you described somewhat, although the 4s EQ on it can be scary if you barely are living through the initial burst anyway.

Just depends what you want to do!

• edited June 2015
    I want to do all the things. :expressionless: 

Mostly ships, I'm at sea more than on land. But I already own two fully outfitted ships. I should really work on that PK stuff I guess. :open_mouth: 

(I kind of only want dragon for gare) :anguished: 

• Get Lupine, snipe people during raids.

You'll be dragon in no time.

• BronislavBronislav Maryland
    Oh, hi.

Just about everything @Atalkez and @Jarrod said were on-point. I -like- my lyre, but there are a lot of bigger denizens that have attacks which bypass it entirely, which result in awkward situations where I'm hiding behind my lyre and gambling on how often they'll use the attack that can kill me before I cure up. I've considerably higher health (4800~), but if your aim is hunting, don't underestimate the benefits of both sip ring and Con belt/bracelet. Granted, you'll only get a good 5-7% per upgrade, but it's really surprising how much of a benefit that little bit is - anyone who's gotten Jera runes know what I mean. Beyond that, for hunting, Lash/pendant has worked like a dream for me; while I'm still mildly grumping about how the damage is significantly more crap with the Battlerage changes, 1.8~s garrotes have been just gravy, and getting criticals nearly every other shot make up for the crap damage most of the time.

Lupine bow and Thoth's fang are both deliciously fun - just aim for 15 Dex if you get the latter. Higher dexterity quickens your garrote speed by about 0.1s~ (@Sena, fact-check my ass here if you've the time and inclination; I only tested from 15 Dex to 16 Dex on my end), but I've found that the additional health has been infinitely more valuable to me - both with hunting and with tanking some attacks in adventurer combat. Good luck!

• Do you all aim when you snipe? @Jarrod @Atalkez
  • I'm not a serpent, but I think aiming should always be a thing.

• HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    If you have a Lupine and the marksman trait you should only have to aim if you are shooting over a wall of some type.
  • If:
    -adjacent
    -no walls
    -target does not have PROJECTILES skill

Do not use aiming.

Otherwise, aiming is probably better.

• Having more health is a huge benefit in defense, not just hunting. It's saved my ass on multiple occasions personally. I'd go for higher sip/health bracelets or a con belt first.
  • dex boots and lash upgrades for hunting boosts.