Learning Bard

edited June 2015 in The Matsuhama Arena
Hi! So I've recently went from Jester to Runewarden (SnB) to now Bard. Due to Atavian having piss-poor strength and not being heavily artied I just was not having fun so I decided to swap to an affliction based class that can go about a different way for each person to lock. (Salve, true, minuet restore) 

Generally though, I need a lot of help in a second set of opinions and where I can improve or where I may of missed a totally easy lock but I re-applied paralysis when they already had it. (or something along those lines) So I do bring you guys my logs (they are exclusively wins, if you want some logs of me getting shit on, by all means just message me) in hopes that you can point out where I could have easily just done something else.

So please feel free to give out constructive criticism. Please do not start a flame war, argue with each other, or get my thread closed. I plan to add more logs as I get better and show myself evolving I guess. 

No I do not have an affliction tracker. No I am in no way automated outside of having keybinds/aliases and queueing @Kenway's limb counter (That I mostly ignore because I tunnel vision too hard) WunderSys and @Klendathu's totally awesome Harmonic Tracker. Anything else is purely me, and it's how I enjoy Achaea. So please do not tell me to get an affliction tracker, a Self-Limb Counter or tell me I need to be semi-automated/automated. Thanks!

Things I am working on:
+Not hitting rebounding/Knowing when rebounding is coming up
+Chasing people who flee better
+Watching how they cure to better guess what to afflict
+Figuring out how to salve lock
+Try to use Minuet in my fights (I have not used Minuet to date! >.>)

There will be numbers by each log that shows you from my first fight to my most recent. So you will notice some things previously not gagged are now gagged, or I have become a lot more efficient, or there are more highlights. So please enjoy, and leave a comment!

On that note, please feel free to challenge me to spars if you want! I see no reason to ever really refuse a spar as I can only learn!

Longer Fights
(1)Raem (Sylvan) https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/78d9092d
(2)Krux (Infernal 2H) https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/54cfbfaf (Feel free to make fun of me for hitting rebounding 4~5 times in a row WHILE HE'S LOCKED)

Quick Fights
(4)Fight with Aetous (Jester) (Quick) https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/7c67df45
(5)Aetous Fight 2 (Jester) (Death fling suicide) https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/555b5d7a

Comments

• I don't have time to go through everything, but here are a few things that stick out from the first log:

1. Your first log against Raem starts with jab xentio/recite epic, then jab kalmia, recite epic again on next voice balance. This isn't ideal because you're allowing a kelp eat after your kalmia jab and before the epic, while they have two kelp afflictions, so you don't know which kelp affliction they cured. The better way to do it would be jab xentio/recite epic, they eat bloodroot, jab curare, they eat bloodroot, recite epic on voice, jab kalmia on balance, they eat bloodroot.

The best way to conceptualize it, for me, is that you need "catchup jabs" sometimes when you are waiting for voice balance. You might want to give asthma/paralysis at once, but as bard, you can't always do that if you don't have voice yet. So you do xentio/epic, jab curare alone, kalmia/epic. Press the kalmia/epic alias soon enough that the epic will fire on voice, though, which will come before you actually have the regular balance for the kalmia jab.

2. You sing anorexia a lot before there's gecko, which totally wastes it. It seems like this is usually you doing a gecko/qasida alias, and voice hitting before balance. You need to either be very cognizant of when you have and will recover balance and not use gecko/qasida until you have balance or use some kind of coding to make the qasida not fire until after the gecko or not fire unless you have balance.

3. You sing stupidity without impatience sometimes. Also a waste.

4. Xentio doesn't really serve a purpose against a sylvan, unless they're prioing kelp and you really want to truelock. Raem wasn't prioing kelp, so just using epic and curare better as described above would do more than jabbing xentio.

• Xinna said:

I don't have time to go through everything, but here are a few things that stick out from the first log:

1. Your first log against Raem starts with jab xentio/recite epic, then jab kalmia, recite epic again on next voice balance. This isn't ideal because you're allowing a kelp eat after your kalmia jab and before the epic, while they have two kelp afflictions, so you don't know which kelp affliction they cured. The better way to do it would be jab xentio/recite epic, they eat bloodroot, jab curare, they eat bloodroot, recite epic on voice, jab kalmia on balance, they eat bloodroot.

Ah, alright. I will try that out, still pretty fresh to bard and didn't quite think of that!

The best way to conceptualize it, for me, is that you need "catchup jabs" sometimes when you are waiting for voice balance. You might want to give asthma/paralysis at once, but as bard, you can't always do that if you don't have voice yet. So you do xentio/epic, jab curare alone, kalmia/epic. Press the kalmia/epic alias soon enough that the epic will fire on voice, though, which will come before you actually have the regular balance for the kalmia jab.

Right, that makes sense, will try that out. Still trying to even time rebounding in my head, will try to get more familiar with Voice Bal and timings.

2. You sing anorexia a lot before there's gecko, which totally wastes it. It seems like this is usually you doing a gecko/qasida alias, and voice hitting before balance. You need to either be very cognizant of when you have and will recover balance and not use gecko/qasida until you have balance or use some kind of coding to make the qasida not fire until after the gecko or not fire unless you have balance.

Alright, I will try and be more mindful. Don't really have any major coding know how but I'm sure I can whip something up to help me along with this!

3. You sing stupidity without impatience sometimes. Also a waste.

Yea, kind of a filler when I was trying things out randomly. Was thinking of maybe doing a poem/darkshade. Not really sure. I'll watch the goldenseal eats more often!

4. Xentio doesn't really serve a purpose against a sylvan, unless they're prioing kelp and you really want to truelock. Raem wasn't prioing kelp, so just using epic and curare better as described above would do more than jabbing xentio.

Alright, cool, thanks! I was just trying to kelp stack in general and if they didn't smoke rebounding or didn't drag off their pipe right away I knew it (asthma) was stuck, but I'll definitely try the advice you gave! Thanks a lot. :) Really means a lot you took the time to comment!