Delete Veils

12346»

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Sarapis said:
    We've got no plans to delete veils.
    Kthxbai everybody. Was fun having you. Really was a blast.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Sarapis said:
    Yay! Thank you!
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Sarapis said:

How about making a city defense to bypass?

Or the Mark issue that was brought up?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • City defense prz. Is fair.
  • I can't tell if the game is less fun or if my expectations are just higher. I think tiny annoyances like Veils were no big deal when I had time to play but now that I'm limited in time, that sort of thing takes up more of my patience.

I've achieved about everything except dragon and holding a position in an org. But what was great about Achaea is the impact you could have. I got to be part of a fringe organization that permanently shaped the landscape, but that sort of thing takes up administrative time. I felt I was probably being more of a drain on game resources than making anything better.

But what really tipped me into dormancy was this artefact. I was in the unique position to defend a region from hunters, but some of the hunters have this thing that keeps me from seeing where in my local area they are. They could see me coming but I couldn't see them, which is more fun when you're outnumbered 4 to 1. 
    Obvious solution? Buy a veil. However, many hunters also didn't have a veil, and that would give me an edge that frankly I didn't need against most of them. I'd have to be the thing I hate in an otherwise seamless combat environment. Pinning/chasing your target is difficult enough when you can find where they are (former veilless Jester, can attest to this). But to throw up a 2000cr buy-in just to effectively chase rich people? Kind of a waste of all that combat balancing.

Combat is arguably the best feature. Even if you were critical of Achaea's lore, there's nothing quite like those fights. But when you get to things like earrings, wings, veils, etc., it reminds me of the time I nearly killed Tanris and he used the pre-nerf Astralform to escape a jitb at the last second. I think if some novice grasps the mechanics enough to nearly kill me, I shouldn't be able to survive just because I bought this toy.

It may seem like a tired argument, but like the recently retired Torc of Telepathy, Achaea may need to continue the artefact audit with combat-friendliness in mind. Anything that does more than enhance an existing class ability shouldn't apply to combat or be required to participate in high-level combat (see: Wings and getting left behind when trying to get to clouds during a raid).
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Seriously, dude, one artefact deletion a day is enough.  Can start again on the hunt to destroy Ire's income, tomorrow. Wings shouldn't be next, though.  Let's tackle something truly crazy like gem of cloaking
  • On the bright side, Sarapis has not said that there wouldn't be alternate ways to locate veiled people...

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide
    I have a gem, a veil and tend to be on my ship but when I'm not dormant I'm still very interactive.

@Melodie you know how talkative I can be :pleased: 
  • Daeir said:
    Remember the "no plans to add afflictions to GMCP data" and "no plans to delete Torc"?

The struggle continues ever onwards.
    No plans, plural. Maybe they just have one plan.
  • One plan to rule them all.

• Daeir said:
    Remember the "no plans to add afflictions to GMCP data" and "no plans to delete Torc"?

Yes, this is how it works.  Even with Achaea's players tending to be weirdly reticent (especially in the past) about giving clear feedback when there was something a lot of them really didn't like, there have been so many things that did eventually change due to that kind of player feedback, despite a change being seemingly impossible at times.  

It seemed impossible either because a certain portion of players had a vested interest in keeping things as they were, or because admin was historically opposed to it, or both.  So it took many RL years and a lot of repeated forums thrash in a lot of cases, but it happened.  
    Jules said:
    Daeir said:

Yes, this is how it works.  Even with Achaea's players tending to be weirdly reticent (especially in the past) about giving clear feedback when there was something a lot of them really didn't like, there have been so many things that did eventually change due to that kind of player feedback, despite a change being seemingly impossible at times.  

It seemed impossible either because a certain portion of players had a vested interest in keeping things as they were, or because admin was historically opposed to it, or both.  So it took many RL years and a lot of repeated forums thrash in a lot of cases, but it happened.  
    Sadly, not enough people have Explorers Tomes for this to happen :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • I had to dig that up... wasn't sure what you meant/what it was at first.  I assume you're talking about the fairly ridiculous pricing.  If you're lucky, they'll figure out it's not selling eventually and significantly drop the price (or make it a free feature like it is in other IRE games). 
    Jules said:
    I had to dig that up... wasn't sure what you meant/what it was at first.  I assume you're talking about the fairly ridiculous pricing.  If you're lucky, they'll figure out it's not selling eventually and significantly drop the price (or make it a free feature like it is in other IRE games). 
    Or make it list all areas' percentages to actually be worth the price. *wink wink nudge nudge* @Sarapis
    Huh. Neat.
    Ahmet said:
    Jules said:
    I had to dig that up... wasn't sure what you meant/what it was at first.  I assume you're talking about the fairly ridiculous pricing.  If you're lucky, they'll figure out it's not selling eventually and significantly drop the price (or make it a free feature like it is in other IRE games). 
    Or make it list all areas' percentages to actually be worth the price. *wink wink nudge nudge* @Sarapis
    But that's my point. It's such a niche item that I doubt it will happen any time in the near future :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Yeah, but a lot of people care a lot about exploring.  But, it's absolutely in that "nifty, but not something I'm going to fork over a large sum for" category for all but a few crazy customers.  There have been also been a lot of newer artifacts (which is good) and people may not be familiar with all of them - which can also contribute to them not selling sometimes until enough people end up talking to someone who has one and likes it. 
    Jules said:
    Yeah, but a lot of people care a lot about exploring.  But, it's absolutely in that "nifty, but not something I'm going to fork over a large sum for" category for all but a few crazy customers.  There have been also been a lot of newer artifacts (which is good) and people may not be familiar with all of them - which can also contribute to them not selling sometimes until enough people end up talking to someone who has one and likes it. 
    Yepyep.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    Got an explorer's tome when I traded in my second soulpiercer. Already had bought my level 3 band, and only needed to convert one to a longsword. It's useful, but I'm not sure it's worth the price, yeah. Gem is better for exploring.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.