Artefact questions and discussion

Comments

• Mizik said:
    Bracelets, Lv 3 sip, lv 3 band? Honorable mentions for BM? Not Torc.
    Ranger's bow for when everyone's sitting back trading meteors and you can't convince anyone to go melee. Not sure if that's a common problem for non-Hashani, though.

If that was a response to Sylvance, I think her point was just that making a cool sword non-decay might be a reason for a blademaster to get an artefact before tritrans.
  • Rings of flying are among the best artefacts of all, btw.
  • Ring of flying is hands down the most awesome artifact ever invented.
  • Either of you mind explaining why? I've never been able to fly on any of my characters! I was considering buying the flight ring package as Blademaster then trading in Brooch.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • The ring of shining metal carries you up into the skies.
    Flying above Entering the main gate of Ashtan.
    You may ENTER SUBDIVISION from here.
    You see exits leading north, northeast, south, and northwest.
    Balance! <1.81 seconds>

That's why.

• LothienLothien Montréal, Québec

Rom said:
    Either of you mind explaining why? I've never been able to fly on any of my characters! I was considering buying the flight ring package as Blademaster then trading in Brooch.
    Hey, that may be a good idea. That'd be a ring of flying (400cr) and 100 cr from the brooch trade-in for $110, which is about $60 off. I think the brooch might be worth the cost unless you're saving up for something, though.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Brooches are worth keeping, in my opinion. If you do a lot if flying (as I do) getting blown around a lot can get quite irritating after a while. I never regretted getting mine.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• My advice is to never sell an artefact that you may someday want to have again. And if you intend to fly, don't get rid of the brooch.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Does flying with ring of flying conflict with being mounted, and can you enchant the ring with resistance enchantments?

Also, does a Diadem help out a knight at all, and why?
  • You can enchant it. You can use it while mounted too, but if you have a non-flying mount, it will just fall to the ground again once you're up.

Diadems help all classes to some degree. Just alone faster shielding, restoring, etc. can be very helpful.
  • edited December 2012
    This was for me!

And of course, I raid, obligatory Ring of Flying was the first artefact I purchased.

Tentacles, Peels, Wildgrowth, 6 way mangled but standing, serpent snap, line of sight target, infiltration, wilderness walking, 1.8 sec defenders/GUARDS BAIL!!

I went with Ice band when I decided I would prefer to have +5% speed/damage/prep over even +15% health/mana.
  • edited December 2012
    Mizik said:
    Tentacles, Peels, Wildgrowth, 6 way mangled but standing, serpent snap, line of sight target, infiltration, wilderness walking, 1.8 sec defenders/GUARDS BAIL!!
    It's also a very neat anti-hamstring escape. Also for people with line-of-sight attacks: people can't use walls to stop you from shooting stuff from the air!
  • I have a flying invincible mount. Would it be better for me to get a ring of flying or that arty that lets you mount balance free? Can you fly with the ring of flying while prone?
  • The latter, and no.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • Grandue said:
    I have a flying invincible mount. Would it be better for me to get a ring of flying or that arty that lets you mount balance free? Can you fly with the ring of flying while prone?
    Miz and Tan swear by theirs.

I just got one.
  • edited December 2012
    Mithril spurs with invincible mounts are extremely effective anti-monk arties, so those are always a good choice if you have trouble with monks defensively.

A flying mount does generally fulfill all purposes of a ring of flying just as well. It just has the downsides of not being as usable by classes who can't fight (well) while mounted (e.g. blademasters, monks) and that there's a chance of forgetting your mount off plane/outside the arena/wherever (but that can be avoided by making sure to always call your mount to your inventory on doing stuff like joining an arena event, moving off plane, burrowing, phasing, etc.). Also, you can't mount while hamstrung or have broken arms, but you can still fly with a ring, which is great.

If you have to choose, go for the mithril spurs. If you have tons of credits to spend, go for both!
  • Ring of flying over invincible mount. Your occultist so you lol at most monks already, and the best part about one v one ring of flying is you can do it with any broken limbs if not prone (unlike mount). Hence why if you mount (I know you have an invincible pet, just not spurs) and have one, blademasters will hate you, since you can fly on the dismount breaks (or just on any break at all, really). Its hands down one of the best defensive artifacts on the game, particularly since it outpaces tentacle balance.
  • wtf is a Blademaster dismount break?

Take the ring of flying. 

Let's say you need to fly defensively, get up from breaks arms still mangled. Can't vault.
    Let's say you're in a raid, the enemy rushes and calls for help. You fly ...4 sec balance... get tentacled. Mount is still in flight, you're on ground, need to call it back down before you can get yourself tentacled again.
  • Mizik said:
    Mount is still in flight, you're on ground, need to call it back down before you can get yourself tentacled again.
    That's not a real issue in the exact situation discussed here though, since we're assuming a case of a pet plus mithril spurs. "tell pet come here;drop pet;vault pet;spur pet skyward" should be doable in a single move without waiting for any balances. Not sure how the balance loss compares between flying with a mount and with the ring. I really love the speed of flying with the ring and it would be a pity if it was slower.
  • edited December 2012
    Mount is quite a bit slower than ring, but since you can already fly with the pet (albeit with the disadvantages previously mentioned), swiftmount edges out the benefit of the ring slightly in my opinion.
  • How fast is mount flying, though? If it's the same as dragon (and I think atavian?) fly, 4s on the flying alone is still much slower than the 1.8s for the ring. But maybe you're saying that the other advantages to the spurs, independent of the ring, beat the fast flying from the ring?
  • With nimble:

You begin to flap your wings powerfully, and rise quickly up into the firmament.

You have recovered balance on all limbs. BAL: 3.733s
  • With Nimble:

A blood steed flaps its wings a few times and lifts you into the skies.

You have recovered balance on all limbs. (2.821s)

Dragon flight is roughly 4 seconds, though obviously you can't benefit from traits in Dragonform. Seems like a mount is faster than FLY, but still inferior to a ring of flying.
  • Iocun said:
    Mizik said:
    Mount is still in flight, you're on ground, need to call it back down before you can get yourself tentacled again.
    That's not a real issue in the exact situation discussed here though, since we're assuming a case of a pet plus mithril spurs. "tell pet come here;drop pet;vault pet;spur pet skyward" should be doable in a single move without waiting for any balances. Not sure how the balance loss compares between flying with a mount and with the ring. I really love the speed of flying with the ring and it would be a pity if it was slower.
    Hax! WHISTLE MOUNT BAT D:
  • Jester balloon.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Ring of flying is great artefact in and out of itself. But it has very narrow and specific purpose, where it can be a lifesaver.

I would still go for spurs. It has more broad use, and in some cases it can also mean life or death. Blocking with your mount against beckons, remount/reblock instantly, blocked/walled in and on the ground indoors mount/mountjump instantly. And most important in raid melee situation you would want to be riding your mount to avoid tailsweeps, while knight delphing you will keep you off balance for most of it without spurs.
  • I'm hoping to get at least SOMETHING.... maybe a lvl 3 band for my blade.
  • Venge said:
    I'm hoping to get at least SOMETHING.... maybe a lvl 3 band for my blade.
    I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but it's incredibly over-zealous.

Venge, Shogakusha of the Hold (male Human).
    He is 18 years old, having been born on the 11th of Chronos, 594 years after the fall of the
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He is unranked in Achaea.
    He is considered to be approximately 0% of your might.

I suggest reading the first page of this thread extensively.
  • Maht said:
    Venge said:

He is 18 years old, having been born on the 11th of Chronos, 594 years after the fall of the
    Seleucarian Empire.

Well its all about the money money money. Who says 18 years old can't get level 3 bands
  • edited December 2012
    Arlanda said:
    Maht said:
    Venge said:

Seleucarian Empire.

Well its all about the money money money. Who says 18 years old can't get level 3 bands
    I've gotta say, whilst I don't think that there's any one artefact that will make you win the game, a lvl3 banded BM is a huge PITA to fight against even with relatively little skill.  I mean, Venge's case is a bit extreme, sure, because I'd probably only have to hit him once to make the band somewhat irrelevant, but when you can pommelstrike-knees and then impale before they have a snowflake's chance of standing again you're in a fairly enviable position for peeveepee.

TL;DR - Get some hair on your chest, get to the point where you can take two hits against a serious opponent, then, sure buy your level 3 band.

ETA: the way my browser deals with nested quotes is seriously beginning to piss me off.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.